Mysterious new Bluetooth Apple product given FCC approval

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

My shot in the dark:

A wireless glass trackpad to paired with the new appletv for gesture support with iOS

Though I could see why this would be highly beneficial to an updated AppleTV running an iOS, I personally think it's much more likely that this is a stand-alone glass trackpad like what you would find on the current MBPs. I think the new AppleTV, when it comes out, will have a more conventional remote and will utilize an iPod Touch or iPhone as an optional means of control (like the way they do now).
  • Reply 22 of 78
    starnycstarnyc Posts: 24member
    As of iOS4 the Bluetooth Keyboard works across Apple's entire product line from iPhone to iPad to computer. There's no reason to think this device would not be the same. Going along the lines of convergence, it makes a lot of sense for Apple TV to share the same GUI as iOS because Apple TV development is a duplication of effort now that Apple has an HD Capable chip in the A4. Their margins would go up on this device if they did not have to pay Intel for the Pentium and it could come off the assembly lines of the old iPhones like a headless iPhone with solid state media.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

While that might be nice, I think it's more likely a standalone trackpad, and I would replace my magic mouse with a trackpad in a second, even though I'm very happy with the magic mouse.

• Reply 23 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Bring it on! Trackpads are so much better than mice. The new multi-touch MBP trackpads really set the standard.

Agreed (for the most part). I'd much rather use the glass trackpad on my MBP than the Magic Mouse on my iMac.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    I just realized that my iMac's keyboard looks almost exactly like my (2008) iRiver SPINN from the side... Hmmm?
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

who's going to use a trackpad on their MacPro that isn't alreay using a Wacom?

What about all the iMacs out there? A stand-alone glass trackpad would be an improvement over the magic mouse and most certainly over the mighty mouse.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    [poking fun + sarcasm] This is a bluetooth screen-less phone to improve phone-call capability of iPhone 4. iPhone 4 would be paired AS a bluetooth headset for this new phone! Oh wait, that cannot be enough to make iPhone 4 useful, proximity sensor will still cause trouble! [end]
  • Reply 27 of 78
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hmm..I wonder if they could also be delving into tablets ala Wacom? That would be an excellent addition to the Mac line for artists

I really doubt this. Their flagship product at this point is the iPad, and the iPad is both pretty bad for artists but also even closer in form factor to a Wacom pad.

If Apple wanted to close that divide, and make a product that allowed folks to draw like a Wacom tablet, they could easily have added the functionality to the iPad and would probably add the functionality into their iOS product line before they would try the desktop.

Apple has historically shown no interest whatsoever in making products for people who need to draw on the screen with the (slight/sorta), exception of the Newton all those years ago. Despite all the artists that use Macs it's a complete non-priority for them it seems.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Why would you want to look away from the monitor just to move the cursor?... That would be even worse than a touch-screen monitor and no mouse.

This is a very funny comment (unintentionally probably), because this was pretty much the chief response (almost word for word!), that a lot of folks had when the mouse came out.

"Why would anyone want to use a mouse? You have to turn your head away from the screen to use it. Keeping your fingers on the keys and your eyes on the screen is faster."

All valid criticisms, and all true, but it still didn't stop the mouse from taking over.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Undoubtedly a game changing, revolutionary product that I would kill to have and that will be shipping 2-4 weeks after it is in stores hopefully sans antenna issue.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I really doubt this. Their flagship product at this point is the iPad, and the iPad is both pretty bad for artists but also even closer in form factor to a Wacom pad.

If Apple wanted to close that divide, and make a product that allowed folks to draw like a Wacom tablet, they could easily have added the functionality to the iPad and would probably add the functionality into their iOS product line before they would try the desktop.

Apple has historically shown no interest whatsoever in making products for people who need to draw on the screen with the (slight/sorta), exception of the Newton all those years ago. Despite all the artists that use Macs it's a complete non-priority for them it seems.

from the original post about this thing: "The images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a Magic Mouse (and possibly features of a MacBook Pro trackpad)." The information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it."
  • Reply 31 of 78
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

the new Apple TV Remote control, with Apple TV running iOS4? This would be very scary to MSFT.

good !
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

from the original post about this thing: "The images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a Magic Mouse (and possibly features of a MacBook Pro trackpad)." The information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it."

Handwriting recognition has nothing to do with drawing or Wacom pads. It's been available on the desktop for years, and on all iOS devices I believe. It has nothing to do with pressure sensitive pens or drawing per se.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

As of iOS4 the Bluetooth Keyboard works across Apple's entire product line from iPhone to iPad to computer. There's no reason to think this device would not be the same. Going along the lines of convergence, it makes a lot of sense for Apple TV to share the same GUI as iOS because Apple TV development is a duplication of effort now that Apple has an HD Capable chip in the A4. Their margins would go up on this device if they did not have to pay Intel for the Pentium and it could come off the assembly lines of the old iPhones like a headless iPhone with solid state media.

Current Apple TV can use the BT Keyboard?
  • Reply 34 of 78
    It has to be that touchpad
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hell, I'm just tickled my headset is now fully functional under bluetooth and the iPhone 4 (the FWD and BACK buttons now work...Woot

I hadn't considered a touchscreen for this device. I assumed it would be a touchpad (albeit of a much larger scale) like we see on the Macbooks. You bring up an interesting point. A true touch screen keyboard for a desktop (or laptop) PC. I wonder if such a thing would appeal, or if they would just stick to simple basics like programmable buttons (ala Logitech IR remotes).

Are you sure you are able to do this natively with bluetooth and Iphone 4? Only way I can get mine to do it is via the Jaybird software
  • Reply 36 of 78
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a very funny comment (unintentionally probably), because this was pretty much the chief response (almost word for word!), that a lot of folks had when the mouse came out.

"Why would anyone want to use a mouse? You have to turn your head away from the screen to use it. Keeping your fingers on the keys and your eyes on the screen is faster."

All valid criticisms, and all true, but it still didn't stop the mouse from taking over.

How are they all valid and true? I never have had to turn my head away to use any of my mice, touchpads or touchpoints on any of my computers. There are actions where a keyboard is faster but certainly not in many cases.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Cool.

But the haters lose their minds in 3,2,1...

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Nobody cares about copy and paste on the iPhone.

Nobody cares about multitasking on the iPhone.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

[?]

I really wish you'd be banned for this repetitive nonsense.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will never give away free bumpers
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications.

Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

I know what you're trying to say here but for the purpose of accuracy I have to point out that only the bolded parts ("Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod." & "Web apps are really sweet"), were ever uttered by Jobs or anyone at Apple. Also, Apple officially doesn't agree with almost all of those statements.

In other words, Apple never said any of those things and you are just making them up.