Apple releases iTunes 9.2.1 to fix bugs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday issued a new iTunes 9.2.1 update which fixes bugs and addresses security issues, and also updated its iBooks application for iOS, with version 1.1.1 bringing improved performance.

The free iTunes release, available through Software Update, fixes a slow sync problem with some devices, addresses an issue with encrypted backups after upgrading mobile devices to iOS 4, fixes problems with drag and drop, and squashes some other performance and stability bugs.

The new update also "disables older versions of some incompatible third-party plug-ins," without noting what plugins are involved. An Apple support note from 2007 states, "Third-party plug-ins and scripts add features to iTunes or modify its appearance and behavior.

"The use of these add-ons can interfere with the normal usage of iTunes. This can be particularly true if you have recently upgraded to a newer version of iTunes as some add-ons may not be compatible. There are many ways in which an add-on can cause iTunes to act erratically," Apple says, noting "loss of iTunes functionality, such as the Visualizer; distortion or irregularity in the iTunes interface; slow performance; and iTunes won't open or quits unexpectedly."

Active iTunes third party plugins are stored in the system or user's "Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins" folder, or within the "documents and settings" or roaming profile "app data" folder of Windows users.

The update also addresses a security issue on Windows, listed as CVE-2010-1777. Users visiting a maliciously crafted website could result in an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution, related to a buffer overflow problem in the handling of "itpc:" URLs. The issue was addressed through improved bounds checking. Apple credited Clint Ruoho of Laconic Security for reporting the issue.

iBooks 1.1.1 was also released Monday for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It has the following fixes, according to Apple:

Double tap an image within a book to view it in greater detail.

Experience books that include audio and video.

Enjoy substantial performance improvements when reading PDFs.

Look-up definitions to English words inside books without a specified language.

Addresses an issue that may have caused some book downloads to not complete.

Includes many stability and performance improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Hope the drag and drop of artwork was fixed. Used to be able to drag and drop cover art from Fireworks directly into iTunes. That stopped working with the last release and made it more cumbersome and would display the artwork as discolored and/or morphed. Forcing me to save each cover art separately instead of drag/drop from one big layered PNG. Fix that and I for one am happy.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member
    This is an outrage!!!

When are they going to fix these issue with the iPhone4?

1. When I cover the speaker with my finger, I can't here it!

2. When I pull my headphone plug out, I can't hear music anymore.

3. I can't read the screen in bright sunlight when I'm wearing sunglasses.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

This is an outrage!!!

I don't know which is worse... that it only took 2 posts before someone tried to hijack this thread with iPhone 4 stuff, or that I'm not even surprised?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    116 MB! That ain't no stinking update!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Look-up definitions to English words inside books without a specified language.

This should hopefully take care of the problems people were having using the dictionary with ePub books they created themselves.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Always nice to have a iTunes upgrade. Hopefully it will be stable.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This should hopefully take care of the problems people were having using the dictionary with ePub books they created themselves.

It sure does. Works great!
  • Reply 8 of 32
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Has anyone tried syncing address book/calendar with Outlook 2010 on a PC?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    How many posts before somebody mentions a certain "design flaw", hmmm?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday issued a new iTunes 9.2.1 update ...

Great. Now it doesn't recognise any of my iOS devices when I plug them in. Fabulous update.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Great. Now it doesn't recognise any of my iOS devices when I plug them in. Fabulous update.

Did you restart your Mac yet?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Mine are showing up.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hope the drag and drop of artwork was fixed. Used to be able to drag and drop cover art from Fireworks directly into iTunes. That stopped working with the last release and made it more cumbersome and would display the artwork as discolored and/or morphed. Forcing me to save each cover art separately instead of drag/drop from one big layered PNG. Fix that and I for one am happy.

Still can't drag/drop from Fireworks like I used to, but it does allow copy/paste from Fireworks again and that's good enough. Worthwhile upgrade to me.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

I agree. A glossy screen on mobile devices! Nice goin' Jobs and Ive.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Maybe you ain't holding them right!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

This is an outrage!!!

1. Then stop covering the speaker with you fingers.

2. Off course its unpluged!!

3. Then stop wearing your sun glasses.

People just complaint about anything. If you dont like it, return it!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtrader88 View Post

1. Then stop covering the speaker with you fingers.

2. Off course its unpluged!!

3. Then stop wearing your sun glasses.

People just complaint about anything. If you dont like it, return it!!!!!

I believe he was joking! (And I'm hoping you are too!)
  • Reply 18 of 32
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    A performance update for iBooks would be very welcome, it runs great on my iPad, but on my 3GS it's a bit to sluggish so I stick to Stanza for that.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When will iTunes make the 64-bit transition? Core 2 Duo was the first gen 64-bit, then Nehalem, and now Sandy Bridge is not too far away. Utilize my registers please.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeltaMac View Post

Did you restart your Mac yet?

Umm... Maybe you didn't get the memo but... Macs never ever, ever need to be rebooted. It's because they are decended from God.