Apple subsidiary to release FileMaker Go for iPad and iPhone tomorrow

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In an effort to forward adoption of its cross-platform relational database application, Apple subsidiary File Maker, Inc. on Tuesday plans to take the software mobile with the release of FileMaker Go for both the iPhone and iPad.

The new apps, which will fetch around $25 for the iPhone version and $50 for the iPad version, will allow users to remotely view, edit and search their FileMaker Pro records from their Apple mobile devices while on the go.

Users will be able to switch between layouts and display search or sort results in Form, Table and List views. The apps will also be compatible with popular FileMaker Pro features such as portals, Tab Controls, QuickFind, Web Viewers, External SQL Data Sources, in addition to running most FileMaker Pro Scripts.

FileMaker Go will connect to databases hosted on FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro over both WiFi and 3G, instantly updating all changes to the host files.

Users who don't have access to FileMaker Server or will not have an internet connection can instead copy their solutions onto FileMaker Go using File Sharing within iTunes.

FileMaker Go for iPhone

Alternatively, users can also copy their databases to FileMaker Go by downloading the file from their email accounts, popular file sharing websites, or the web.

FileMaker Go for iPad

FileMaker Go for iPhone will only be compatible with iOS 4.0 for both the iPod touch and iPhone, while the iPad version will run on iOS 3.2 and higher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    boboostaboboosta Posts: 17member
    I wonder if it will support MySQL database connections. Would this be the first database app for handheld mobile devices that supports MySQL connections?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boboosta View Post

I wonder if it will support MySQL database connections. Would this be the first database app for handheld mobile devices that supports MySQL connections?

most likely it'll be for Filemaker exclusively. Would be cool though.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    james48james48 Posts: 6member
    Up till now, third party developers have not been allowed to include any kind of scripting language in any product for iPhones & iPads. Apparently FileMaker, being an Apple subsidiary, doesn't have to follow the rules that have been laid down for all other developers. Since virtually all database programs include some sort of scripting support, it would appear that FileMaker should be able to operate without competition on the iOS platform.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boboosta View Post

It does but in a very restrictive way. You cannot feed MySql direct SQL queries but you can add a MySql table to a relationship in FMP. The MySql table acts like a FMP table and you can interact with the records according to your permissions but FMP does all of the SQL stuff behind the scenes. Also work with Oracle and MSSQl. You do need a FMP server with a ODBC DSN pointing to the SQL data source.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    Does anyone know why the nit-wits that designed the message app put the send button right next to the text area for messages. I cant tell you how many times i've went to edit a message and i slightly touch the send button and off it goes. Really a poor design!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James48 View Post

Up till now, third party developers have not been allowed to include any kind of scripting language in any product for iPhones & iPads. Apparently FileMaker, being an Apple subsidiary, doesn't have to follow the rules that have been laid down for all other developers. Since virtually all database programs include some sort of scripting support, it would appear that FileMaker should be able to operate without competition on the iOS platform.

I wonder if it's done by some kind of RPC.

In this case the client might be able to save data but the scripts would be processed by the server.

I'm waiting eagerly for the announcement.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an effort to forward adoption of its cross-platform relational database application...

What on Earth do you mean by "forward adoption?" Or is this a new entry on Business Meeting Bingo cards everywhere, joining "curate" and "incentivize". Perhaps that should be "increase adoption" but certainly not "forward."

Sheesh.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

Many iPhone and iPad games use Lua as their scripting engine, which Apple allow, apparently on a case-by-case basis.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

Does anyone know why the nit-wits that designed the message app put the send button right next to the text area for messages. I cant tell you how many times i've went to edit a message and i slightly touch the send button and off it goes. Really a poor design!!!!!

OT, but I agree completely. Corner buttons on the iPad are idiotic.

Back to topic, hardly see where this gives any value compared to a web app...
  • Reply 10 of 25
    This is very, very good news!

I have a client that specifically asked a few months ago about getting a custom filemaker application on the iPad. I told him a flat "no".

This will encourage overall filemaker adoption for sure, I can imagine lots of customer-oriented businesses looking at iPad. Mercedes has already developed a custom app for the iPad. FMGo will make that sort of thing accessible to smaller businesses

However I can understand developers getting upset if Apple is giving itself advantages in the App market!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

OT, but I agree completely. Corner buttons on the iPad are idiotic.

Back to topic, hardly see where this gives any value compared to a web app...

It's way easier to build quite sophisticated functionality with FM than web frameworks.

I looked at Rails (and Sinatra/Padrino, before that PHP) and they are STILL bare metal coding. The newer frameworks are esoteric with a huge barrier to adoption for non CS-grads (even pretty smart ones). Standard PHP is tedious and unproductive. I get the feeling that even for gurus it is quite onerous to build complex functionality on these platforms. Haven't looked seriously at django, servoy, or delphi.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    james48james48 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Many iPhone and iPad games use Lua as their scripting engine, which Apple allow, apparently on a case-by-case basis.

Yes, but this apparently allows scripts written by the user to run on the mobile device. In other words, now users will be able to use FileMaker to write programs for iPhones & iPads without going thru the app store. True, it requires a $25 to $50 runtime, but this hasn't been allowed at any price up until now.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    At long last, don't know what took Filemaker so long to produce a mobile version again, after the demise of the old FM Mobile.

Having transitioned from an old Palm, on which I had the old FM Mobile, this is the last piece of the puzzle I've been waiting for, all my other apps are covered.

However, I don't understand the technical description - does it mean that you can't do a straightforward sync on your desktop, and then remotely edit on the iPhone or iPad, as you do now with all other apps, or do you need a separate server version of FM?

Am I right in saying that instead of syncing with your desktop, you have to copy your files to iTunes and then sync them remotely to your iPhone via iTunes?

Not being a tech head, this is a bit confusing to me.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I don't understand the technical description - does it mean that you can't do a straightforward sync on your desktop, and then remotely edit on the iPhone or iPad, as you do now with all other apps, or do you need a separate server version of FM?

Am I right in saying that instead of syncing with your desktop, you have to copy your files to iTunes and then sync them remotely to your iPhone via iTunes?

Not being a tech head, this is a bit confusing to me.

I think that FM Go will work both as a client for networked versions of FileMaker, and by syncing back and forth single-user FM databases. I agree that syncing sounds complicated (for this and for any thing where you want to move files to your ipad/iphone)

P.S. I wonder if there's any built-in support for semi-online-semi-offline use (i.e. connect to this networked database, but also use it offline, and sync changes afterward). In my experience this is something that is difficult to develop from scratch, and expensive to buy (SyncDek).
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Yes, but this apparently allows scripts written by the user to run on the mobile device. In other words, now users will be able to use FileMaker to write programs for iPhones & iPads without going thru the app store. True, it requires a $25 to $50 runtime, but this hasn't been allowed at any price up until now.

That sounds horrific. Microsoft Access for the iPad. /Shudder
  • Reply 16 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So alternative vendors should not have an issue.

My question is can we build databases directly on the iPad / iPhone? That would be a huge advantage. However if all development has to take place on a Mac I'm not impressed.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 25
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    FileMaker could dominate this market, and not because Apple has done them any special favors, but because the competition is lame. I bought HandBase for the iPad, hoping it could be coaxed into being the field data collection method I've always wanted. Wrong. It's a mess.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    This is great news! Now I can really start using the iPad at my office. I use a custom Filemaker Pro database application and now I can go mobile with it out in my warehouse. Not to mention being mobile with my iPhone when I'm away from my office. I knew it was only a matter of time for them to make Filemaker avaiable for the iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmay View Post

We will be fully supporting FileMaker Go

We provide FileMaker hosting with MySQL, PHP and Lasso Professional on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated Apple Xserves.

- John

This is the second Mac user forum you've spammed today.

Shame.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So alternative vendors should not have an issue.

My question is can we build databases directly on the iPad / iPhone? That would be a huge advantage. However if all development has to take place on a Mac I'm not impressed.

Dave

That's exactly the first question that came to my mind. Would Be terrific if I could build

databases on the go. This would help me in my lab a great deal. Let's see what the next days tell.