Q3 iPad: Predictions and discussion

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I don't see a formal iPad prediction thread, so let's start one! Here is my predictions for the next iPad:

Screen & Body

I think the iPad will retain the 1024 x 768 resolution, as well as the IPS LED-backlit LCD. The body is beautifully sculpted, so I doubt there will be any changes to it at all. Case manufacturers need not worry. This leads us to the insides....

CPU & Memory

The A4 is new and now shared with the iPhone 4. So this is a no brainer: the next iPad will have 512MB of RAM, like it's cousin the iPhone. Speed will likely stay at 1GHz because the performance is still really good. Storage, however, will start at 32GB for the low end and top out at 128GB.

Video Capabilities

iPad will now output (via component or HDMI dongle) up to 720p with the help of the SGX545 GPU.

Sensors & Camera

Accelerometer, compass, gyroscope in the iPad. It will also get something missing from the 1st generation iPad: a front facing camera. But instead of the lowly VGA one the iPhone 4 has on the front, the iPad should get a 2-3MP one on the front.

Software

iOS 4.1 is a given. It'll have multi tasking, folders, FaceTime, improved Mail, improved Search features. I also hope there are some compelling iPad specific features like document management for downloads, mail attachments, synced files, etc.; solo activation, so you can use it untethered to a computer; iMovie with camera connection via the CCK; a widgets screen like dashboard with a calculator, weather modules, notebooks, quick contact lookups, notes, unit converter, dictionary, etc.

WISH LIST
  • USB3 compatible

• Pro Dock with 2 USB ports, SD card slot, HDMI, audio.

• 1GB RAM

• GPS on the Wi-Fi only model

• Choice of GSM or CDMA or Wimax cards

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    Santa's musings...

The iPad in 25 years.

? A4 size

? the thickness of a sheet of paper

? made of shape memory plastic/metal composite

? uses ambient light for power

? inbuilt battery wirelessly and light charged

? minimum 360 dpi edge to edge screen

? whole of the surface is a speaker

? whole of screen is a camera, iso 64000

? face tracking camera

? processor and memory (starting at 1 TB) printed between sandwiched sheets.

? inbuilt telecommunications

? GPS to < 1 metre

? fingerprint activated

? usual stuff: compass, gyroscope, etc
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santa View Post

Santa's musings...

The iPad in 25 years.

? A4 size

? the thickness of a sheet of paper

? made of shape memory plastic/metal composite

? uses ambient light for power

? inbuilt battery wirelessly and light charged

? minimum 360 dpi edge to edge screen

? whole of the surface is a speaker

? whole of screen is a camera, iso 64000

? face tracking camera

? processor and memory (starting at 1 TB) printed between sandwiched sheets.

? inbuilt telecommunications

? GPS to < 1 metre

? fingerprint activated

? usual stuff: compass, gyroscope, etc

Nah, in 25 years' time it'll be implants. Stuff above, 15 years at most
  • Reply 3 of 4
    zaphod0zaphod0 Posts: 7member
    Is multitasking not in the pipe line with the iOS4 release? (Bloody better be or ill be flogging the dam thing!)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nah, in 25 years' time it'll be implants. Stuff above, 15 years at most

i say in 25 years everything will be so small and sci-fi....we will eventually get tired of having an ipod touch, ipad, macbook, ipod classic, bluetooth connected to radio, a phone, and a mini-mobile, we will finally be like "wtf?" and just start using our brains again..... talking to people when its important like at home, not traveling farther than we need directions to do so, throw in a cassette tape, and hold the phone to our ears.