Apple profits soar 77% on record sales of 3.47 million Macs

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that third-quarter profits rose more than 77 percent to $3.25 billion, or $3.51 per diluted share, on sales of $15.7 billion for the three-month period ended June 26, 2010.

The results compare to revenue of $9.73 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.83 billion, or $2.01 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 39.1 percent compared to 40.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 52 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple sold 3.47 million Macs during the quarter, representing a new quarterly record and a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company sold 8.4 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 61 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold 9.41 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. Â*Meanwhile, iPad sales totaled of 3.27 million.

"It was a phenomenal quarter that exceeded our expectations all around, including the most successful product launch in Apple's history with iPhone 4," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPad is off to a terrific start, more people are buying Macs than ever before, and we have amazing new products still to come this year."

"We're really pleased to have generated over $4 billion of cash during the quarter," added Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. Â*"Looking ahead to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue of about $18 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share of about $3.44" Â*

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q3 2010 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT on July 20, 2010. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    The lower EPS guidance despite much higher ($18B) revenue guidance for the next quarter is very interesting. Is this because of new products with lower margins on the horizon or projected price cuts on existing products?

Looks like AAPL is getting ready for their first $20B+ quarter later this year...
  • Reply 2 of 109
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The lower EPS guidance despite much higher ($18B) revenue guidance for the next quarter is very interesting. Is this because of new products with lower margins on the horizon or projected price cuts on existing products?

Looks like AAPL is getting ready for their first $20B+ quarter later this year...

You can't place any importance in forward guidance. It is always a low-ball joke. Just enjoy the current numbers.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"and we have amazing new products still to come this year."

God, this tidbit gets me even more excited.

Haters wrong yet again.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    oh-no! apple is doomed!
  • Reply 5 of 109
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Whew. Unbelievable. The rest of tech is simply left scratching its collective head and wondering where this runaway train is headed next.

Go Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 109
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Haters wrong yet again.

iPod touch with a camera or two?
  • Reply 7 of 109
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

oh-no! apple is doomed!?

There. Fixed it for you.
  • Reply 8 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Haters wrong yet again.

I wonder if there really will be new products or just new versions of existing products, i.e. iPod Touch refresh, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by depannist View Post

I wonder if there really will be new products or just new versions of existing products, i.e. iPod Touch refresh, etc.

I dunno, I'm expecting at least one new product category and a slew of older products with new hardware specs.
  • Reply 10 of 109
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

They have been guiding down margins for a long time, but one of these days I expect it to be serious. It would take a dramatic change in product mix for the margins to get that much lower though-- like a $100 drop in ASP for iPhones to around $500.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Congress took a break from considering other legislation today to pass a bill prohibiting patent trolls, the media, technoblog pundits, or deathgripping idiots from picking on Apple any more. "It's about the only gawdsdamned part of the US economy which is still working, and it's our job to protect that," said Congressman McNotsteve. "Jobs is our number one priority," added an aide, smugly.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by depannist View Post

of course new version of existing products.

It's pretty rare Apple would launch 2 new products a year.

in fact don't expect a totally new product (like iPad) for a year or two.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Hooray! Higher please AAPL. I have a wedding to shell out for this year.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    From Apple's Press Release - Steve Jobs "we have amazing new products still to come this year".

Go AAPL
  • Reply 15 of 109
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    How do I link into the Apple conference from Appleinsider?
  • Reply 16 of 109
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    This is a SAD SAD DAY for all the HATERS.
  • Reply 17 of 109
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Whew. Unbelievable. The rest of tech is simply left scratching its collective head and wondering where this runaway train is headed next.

Go Apple!

the more apple sells, the faster internet is needed, and the more advanced equipments are needed. this is definitely bearing good for many tech companies. this is simply amazing.
  • Reply 18 of 109
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"we have amazing new products still to come this year."

New iPod Touch

New Apple TV

What else?

- New (smaller, lighter, thinner) MacBook Air?

- Will the new MacPro wait until Jan'11

- An incremental update to iMac?

- Smaller, lower cost iPad variant?
  • Reply 19 of 109
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is always more that analysts predict on Mac units sold. That's not as many iPads as I thought would be sold and it looks like sales of iPhone slowed down prior to the iPhone 4 launch (no surprise).
  • Reply 20 of 109
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Good, but not great. FWIW, Andy Zacky's predictions were high across the board. The markets may see this as a miss, not a hit.