Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    sorry to bring this thread back up, but this is the problem I'm facing...

i have the first generation macbook which i bought on launch.

after finding out that they replace the casing due to the crack recently (last week), i went to the genius bar right away.

the genius basically told me i am out of luck since i had to get it fixed within 3 years from purchase date.

this i found quite unfair.

1. apple never release official info. regard this repair

2. it is a design flaw by apple

3. not everyone keeps up with apple news all the time - if i didn't google it recently, i would've never know about this!

4. upon reading numerous forums, some ppl are still able to get it replaced after the "3 year time limit" - why the discrepancy?

5. there shouldn't be a time limit for this repair period - i had to live with my macbook all taped up for years now.

6. apple announced this repair in APRIL 2009, and I purchased my macbook in MAY 2006. If they only allow the 3 year time frame, that gave me ONE MONTH to get it replaced. Now.. is this fair? Maybe If Apple emailed all the buyers regard this issue or at least post on their website...??

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it fixed? Any help guys.. or am I really out of luck here, thanks.

btw. I went to the genius bar in Toronto, Canada. After being refused of the repair, I spoke to the floor manager regarding the issue. She kindly told me that she would get back to me via phone the next day, but it has been 4 days already.. she's not going to reply..
  • Reply 102 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitboi View Post

sorry to bring this thread back up, but this is the problem I'm facing...

after finding out that they replace the casing due to the crack recently (last week), i went to the genius bar right away.

the genius basically told me i am out of luck since i had to get it fixed within 3 years from purchase date.

3. not everyone keeps up with apple news all the time - if i didn't google it recently, i would've never know about this!

4. upon reading numerous forums, some ppl are still able to get it replaced after the "3 year time limit" - why the discrepancy?

5. there shouldn't be a time limit for this repair period - i had to live with my macbook all taped up for years now.

6. apple announced this repair in APRIL 2009, and I purchased my macbook in MAY 2006. If they only allow the 3 year time frame, that gave me ONE MONTH to get it replaced. Now.. is this fair? Maybe If Apple emailed all the buyers regard this issue or at least post on their website...??

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it fixed? Any help guys.. or am I really out of luck here, thanks.

btw. I went to the genius bar in Toronto, Canada. After being refused of the repair, I spoke to the floor manager regarding the issue. She kindly told me that she would get back to me via phone the next day, but it has been 4 days already.. she's not going to reply..

I think there's nothing you can do to get it fixed for free. You can buy new case parts though, for about $150 each for upper (palmrest) and lower case. In my case, I replaced my cracked (and dirty, with bulged out battery and screen damaged by a poor quality screen protector) white MacBook a new aluminum MBP, under the expectation that five years later it will still look brand new.
  • Reply 103 of 107
    My mac has multiple hairline cracks on the bottom case.. specifically near the front upper part.. apple in India completely refusing to acknowledge this as a fault. The mac is just about 3 months old.. but they said the outer case is not covered under warranty.. they are replacing the upper inside part which has similar cracks (they said this is a known issue due to strong magnets).. very frustating.. the other cracks are identical but they just insisting its cosmetic..

think ive bought a glass laptop.. was damn happy when i had finally got an apple.. now just regret the decision... they are service centre people also agreed that multiple laptops are reporting the hairline cracks but apple is refusing to accept it as a defect...

had a dell earlier.. their service was soo much better..
  • Reply 104 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another. One was out of warranty. Just take it up to the "Genius" bar.

I have to complement Apple's service in this respect.

Wish I'd had the same experience. I've always been careful to keep my mid-2007 white Macbook in a padded slip-case whenever I transport it, and it hasn't been dropped or abused, yet it's suffered a cracked "top case" (the assembly including the keyboard, wrist rest and trackpad) and has a crack along the lower shell too, near the vent. The Apple Store staff in Cambridge, UK, replaced the top case, but refused to repair the bottom case despite the fact that the Macbook's still under AppleCare. See my message here: http://discussions.apple.com/message...13058#11313058

As such, I have to wonder whether the AppleInsider story this thread's about is correct. I challenge Slash Lane to provide more verification for his story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

i have just talked to apple austria and apple germany, and they say that there was NO bulletin to repair companies, and that they actually don't fix those problems if they are after guarantee-period.

seems like this info is spreading without confirmation from people who should know.

From my experience, it seems Apple UK isn't even fixing these problems (i.e. bottom case / shell cracks caused by defective plastics rather than by mishandling) for laptops that are still under warranty!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc4kids View Post

as soon as i read this news i called apple about this problem as i have been noticing the cracks underneath my laptop near the vent and the hinges. What the lady told me there was that IM NOT ELIGIBLE since i have an EARLY 2008 white macbook and with those models, they have already "supposedly" fixed the problem. So that i can not claim to have a free repair ( i am still under 1 yr warranty plus i have applecare until 2011). Isnt that RIDICULOUS????? I told her that people are talking about having the same problems and got their macbooks fixed and what she told me was that maybe those macbooks were the EARLIER models... mine was the early 2008 model and apparently they said that they shipped with a white body material that shouldn't crack and if im noticing those hairline cracks then it WONT be repaired under warranty and will be filed under accidental causes and therefore i will be CHARGED.

Guys what can you say about this CRAP!!!

Either they're lying about the plastics having been fixed by early 2008 or you've been abusing your Macbook. Given the Macbook's track record, I'm inclined to favour the former conclusion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I know there is a particular department or individual (I forget their actual title) that handles these things at Apple HQ. And boy do they ever handle it!

There's a thread over on Neowin.net (in the Apple forums) with exact instructions, but I'll have to hunt around for it and dig it up. I'll try to post it later on today. i think there's even a name of a contact . . .

If you can find that thread, I'd be very grateful. I've looked, but no joy so far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajaya View Post

Wow- I got a call from the Apple Store that initially refused to replace my cracking bottom case. They will replace it after all. The only downside is that it has to get shipped out for repairs, meaning upto seven days without my macbook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajaya View Post

Had an appointment at the Genius bar last night at the Westchester Mall in White Plains. Showed them my white (1st Gen-white) Macbook which was chipping on the palm rest and had the cracks as described in this article all over the bottom cover.

My Genius, Jentell (sp?), said he had read the reports on CNET and Apple Insider but said that the sites were 'mistaken'.

They replaced my palm rest cover (2nd time in 2 years) but won't replace the bottom cover. I just filled out the Apple Genius Bar (dis)Satisfaction survey- hope to hear back.

I hope others have better luck getting their cracked bottom cases replaced.

Well, maybe only the US Apple Stores will perform this replacement. Does anybody know?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitboi View Post

I agree that's unfair. I think if Apple's going to pluck a period like "3 years" out of the air to apply to free fixes for their faulty products, then they ought to apply those periods from the moment of announcement, not from the moment of sale. I.e. if they announced a repair programme in April 2009, it should continue until at least March 2012, regardless when the affected product was bought.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    dineshdinesh Posts: 3member
    Did anyone still manage to get this problem fixed during the last couple of months? I got my Macbook in the US and I am in India now. Will be going back to US in August... So will Apple still replace the parts?

Pics of the cracks on my Macbook: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...7&postcount=22
  • Reply 106 of 107
    bush2bush2 Posts: 4member
    Two weeks ago it had a problem where it was running really slow, so slow that it took over 2 minutes just to cancel before one can walk away!!!!

tooth whitening

Steroid
  • Reply 107 of 107
    bri65bri65 Posts: 1member
    Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?

I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.

I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.

thanks and ciao!!

[IMG][/IMG]