N97 reception video added to Apple's antenna site as Nokia seeks new CEO

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has added another smartphone to its list of devices that experience reception issues when held improperly, this time showing a Nokia N97 mini losing signal. Nokia, meanwhile, is looking to replace its current CEO as it has fallen behind in the smartphone market.

At its antenna performance page, apple.com/antenna, Apple added the Nokia N97 mini, with photos and videos showing the effects of attenuation on the handset. Holding the device tightly caused the handset to drop from 7 full bars of service, down to just two bars.

The antenna in the Nokia N97 mini is located on its bottom side. Gripping the phone tightly and covering the bottom side caused the signal to drop on the device in a matter of seconds. The calendar on the phone shows that the video was recorded this week, on Monday, July 19.

Nokia, meanwhile, is looking to replace its current chief executive, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo. Though the Finnish company sells more cell phones than any other manufacturer, it has fallen behind rivals Apple and Research in Motion in the smartphone market.

Nokia had already responded over the weekend to Apple's "antennagate" press conference, portraying itself as "the pioneer in internal antennas." The statement was released even though no Nokia handsets were included among the phones with antenna issues demonstrated by Apple.

"Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying human behavior, including how people hold their phones for calls, music playing, web browsing and so on. As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict.

The N97 mini is now shown alongside the other handsets that were already featured on the website: the iPhone 4, BlackBerry Bold 9700, HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Omnia II, and iPhone 3GS. Apple first showed the videos to members of the press at its iPhone 4 press conference last week, where the company announced it would give away free cases to all iPhone 4 owners through Sept. 30. Using a case that prevents users from touching the external metal band on the handset reduces the attenuation effect.

Along with Nokia, Research in Motion, HTC and Samsung all took offense to Apple's remarks, suggesting that the iPhone maker was attempting to drag its competitors into the iPhone 4 antenna saga.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 242
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    I wouldn't call that a tight grip, since both the thumb and the middle finger shows a healthy blood flow in them.
  • Reply 2 of 242
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    The flaw with Apple's reasoning on this is that the iPhone 4 exhibits these attenuation signals from there mere touch of the seam between the two antennas. This is compounded by the fact that it happens to be exactly where many people who hold their phones in their left hand put their palms.

Sure, the other phones will show signal loss when you hold it with a death grip cupping your hand over the entire antenna, and the iPhone 4 will do the same thing.

However, I haven't seen any videos of any other phone showing signal loss from one finger touching it. The excuse Apple gives that it "marks the spot" is bullsh!t. No other phone has a spot (marked or unmarked) that has the same symptoms.

And it IS a big deal, since its in a spot that naturally gets touched when holding the phone with your left hand. It doesn't require an awkward grip or huge hands to duplicate.

The bumper does fix this problem, but for Apple to say that the entire industry suffers from the same problem is a flat out lie for the reasons outlined above. It's a different problem in practice. It may be the same concept, but Apple's uninsulated exterior antenna design exacerbates it so much that it happens when people hold the phone naturally, whereas most other phones don't exhibit the same symptoms.

I'm sure if Apple were able to find a phone that had the EXACT same problem, they'd be more than willing to put up a video. And they haven't done this.

Hopefully, the September deadline will urge Apple to put a clear insulating coating over their antennas. Only then will Apple be on equal footing with other cellphone makers antenna-wise. (In all other respects, they are admittedly better).
  • Reply 3 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Not that I want to argue this point (much) since bars are a meaningless gauge of actual signal strength, but wasn?t there are a troll or two on these forums saying that the iPhone 4 was the only one to drop 5 bars?
  • Reply 4 of 242
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I'm no Apple apologist, after all Apple makes mistakes, and I've called BS on a few in the past (I stated the cube would fail right after it launched, I didn't go all gaga over it). Okay, so got my "bonafides" out of the way

If Apple deserves the heat for "antennaegate" then so be it, but the minute their competitors start throwing stones, well then cry me a river if they think it is "unfair" that Apple points out their own flaws. If Nokia didn't want their antennae issues pointed out, then they shouldn't have yelled "dog-pile on Apple" and instead just stay out of the fracas.

K, nuff said.
  • Reply 5 of 242
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

The flaw with Apple's reasoning on this is that the iPhone 4 exhibits these attenuation signals from there mere touch of the seam between the two antennas. This is compounded by the fact that it happens to be exactly where many people who hold their phones in their left hand put their palms.

Except that plenty of iPhone 4 owners claim that they can't reproduce the effect by doing this mere touch.
  • Reply 6 of 242
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:

And it IS a big deal, since its in a spot that naturally gets touched when holding the phone with your left hand. It doesn't require an awkward grip or huge hands to duplicate.

I hold my phone on my left hand and while I hold it only my fingers are in contact with the phone, not my ENTIRE palm. And don't go telling me that Im un-natural.
  • Reply 7 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

If Apple deserves the heat for "antennaegate" then so be it, but the minute their competitors start throwing stones, well then cry me a river if they think it is "unfair" that Apple points out their own flaws. If Nokia didn't want their antennae issues pointed out, then they shouldn't have yelled "dog-pile on Apple" and instead just stay out of the fracas.

Excellent point.
  • Reply 8 of 242
    A leader in Antenna design? Why? What they done that's leading? Or is it just that fact that nearly every company you see is a 'innovator', but yet from a lot of them innovation is just a tag line. Although Nokia can claim they made the design of the 'modern' phone, but I haven't seen anything else great from them.
  • Reply 9 of 242
    The attention paid to this by the press is way overblown and, in my opinion, borders on irresponsible reporting to sell clicks and pages. I have an iPhone 4 and 3GS. Have done side by side comparisons of signal quality and the ability to maintain calls in low signal areas. The iPhone 4 beats my 3GS every call.

Yes I can touch the lower left hand side of the phone and cause signal loss. However, it is also an area that is so small, I can easily avoid. I also use a bumper occasionally. With the bumper, I can't make the signal do much. I do prefer to have a naked iPhone and have no concerns carrying and using it that way.

I for one am very happy with the iPhone 4. It is fast, really fast. It does not drop calls where my 3GS did. The battery life is far superior to any smartphone I have owned. I download a variety of applications without fear. I play my music or Pandora when I work out. I use Facetime.....

Apple has a right to defend themselves. If you look at their choice of antenna design, they placed the antenna as far away from the head as possible. That makes me happy. I am also pleased with SAR values relative to other smartphones.

I guess this makes me a fanboy. But I join the majority that say this is a great phone.
  • Reply 10 of 242
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Sure, the other phones will show signal loss when you hold it with a death grip cupping your hand over the entire antenna, and the iPhone 4 will do the same thing.

However, I haven't seen any videos of any other phone showing signal loss from one finger touching it. The excuse Apple gives that it "marks the spot" is bullsh!t. No other phone has a spot (marked or unmarked) that has the same symptoms.

The bumper does fix this problem, but for Apple to say that the entire industry suffers from the same problem is a flat out lie for the reasons outlined above. It's a different problem in practice. It may be the same concept, but Apple's uninsulated exterior antenna design exacerbates it so much that it happens when people hold the phone naturally, whereas most other phones don't exhibit the same symptoms.

I'm sure if Apple were able to find a phone that had the EXACT same problem, they'd be more than willing to put up a video. And they haven't done this.

Hopefully, the September deadline will urge Apple to put a clear insulating coating over their antennas. Only then will Apple be on equal footing with other cellphone makers antenna-wise. (In all other respects, they are admittedly better).

It is odd that Apple didn't demo the one touch signal drop on other phones, because they exhibit it too. I believe they showed a picture of a non-smart phone that had a sticker on the back "don't touch here" or something. Apple's reasoning is not flawed. Millions are begging the question by assuming there is an issue only with iPhone 4, but it really isn't isolated to Apple's phones.

Here's what's happening.... you touch the death spot, see the signal drop, maybe lose a call... because: the software is reporting more signal than there is, when you touch, seems like more signal is lost, but there wasn't much to begin with... it's an illusion. If a call is dropped, you're in an area of weak cell.

Just TOUCHING a cell phone is enough to detenuate the antenna by -15dB - -20dB of signal... best way to make a phone call in an area of weak cell with any cell phone is to use a headset, preferably bluetooth. Set the phone up high... let it sit 30 seconds, try to make your call, don't touch the phone during the call.

This flame war is like the ones of old. But in the old timey flame wars, it wasn't literally thousands that were fooled by their own cleverness. By NOT observing this in other phones, you believed it didn't exist... but if you were observant enough (like me... I observed this behavior during the first hour I received my first Nokia cell phone in 2001), then you would have realized that Gizmodo wagged the dog. The signal indicator was the hole in everyone's argument, that, and that microwaves are invisible.

Don't let pride make you stupid. Take a look at what that old onion video did today, what Orson Wells did on the radio once,, and ask yourself again if it's not possible that Gizmodo totally stung you.
  • Reply 11 of 242
    When apple makes the employees behind these spots fill in timecards, is the project time code, "legal defense fund"?

Seen as the company's PR campaign, this seems petty.

Seen as the company's PR response to Nokia, etc, this seems petty, but fair.

Seen as the company's legal maneuver to ward off potential lawsuits, this is money well spent.

This is excellent pre-emptive legal work, against any ambulance chasers looking to make a quick buck off a class action suit.
  • Reply 12 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not that I want to argue this point (much) since bars are a meaningless gauge of actual signal strength, but wasn?t there are a troll or two on these forums saying that the iPhone 4 was the only one to drop 5 bars?

yes, but remember, the signal indicator was lying to you, Apple admitted. It displays more signal than is there, so if you dropped 5 bars, you probably only had 2 to begin with.
  • Reply 13 of 242
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolQ9o_-Q68
  • Reply 14 of 242
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Except that plenty of iPhone 4 owners claim that they can't reproduce the effect by doing this mere touch.

Add to the difficulty that the clamminess of the individual is unique to the individual, along with the physiology and biochemistry of the individual are always different in ways that will or will not impact the signal.
  • Reply 15 of 242
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Having compared the iPhone 4 to the 3GS side-by-side, there is absolutely no question that the 4 is waaay better. My dad has a 3GS and is barely able to make a call from his house. He has to go and stand in the far corner on his house (or go outside) just to be able to make or answer a call without drops.

Enter the iPhone 4. Doing the same test with my new iPhone 4, he was able to go and sit in his basement and talk without drops or even garbled voice. It was clear as a bell.

Yes, there is attenuation, demonstrable and repeatable. But if it really effects you that much, a case solves the dilemma. Life is too short to be hand-wringing over one avoidable flaw on a phone that is better in every way to the previously excellent 3GS (better battery life, faster, amazing screen, better signal, even faster GPS locating, you name it).

My experience is that those who are complaining the loudest typically don't even have one.
  • Reply 16 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolQ9o_-Q68

HA HA! Proves nothing, troll!

I kid... seriously, nice tight, quick video... speaks for itself. Thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

K, nuff said.

My thoughts exactly. All of these other vendors who jumped onto the bandwagon should have been damn sure that the same couldn't be done with their own products, which is patently false, since their own manuals tell you to avoid the 'magic spot'.
  • Reply 18 of 242
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

And in addition, the external antenna seems to generally improve reception.

I join those in criticizing Apple mainly for avoiding the accurate phrase 'trade-off'.

I think the trade-off in the iPhone 4's antenna design was an overall win, and its a shame that Apple didn't have the wits to acknowledge that.

But I gotta hand it to those for whom shifting their pinky a millimeter was too much effort... Well done in giving birth to a wildly exaggerated meme that the ignorant mainstream press could echo.
  • Reply 19 of 242
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

That is precisely the point. No one holds any phone with only one finger. There is no reason to call holding the phone in your palm a death grip. That is simply the way many people hold the phone. So the conclusion is that many smart phones are subject to signal loss while holding them.
  • Reply 20 of 242
    icarasicaras Posts: 21member
    Quote:

I'm no Apple apologist, after all Apple makes mistakes, and I've called BS on a few in the past (I stated the cube would fail right after it launched, I didn't go all gaga over it). Okay, so got my "bonafides" out of the way

I fail to understand the "mistake" associated with the cube and how your personal opinion about the product relates to its failure. Case in point: the sheer success of the iPhone 4. Your logic dictates that since the iPhone 4 is a big blunder, that it should fail just like the cube...which it just isnt.

Care to elaborate this?