N97 reception video added to Apple's antenna site as Nokia seeks new CEO

Comments

• Reply 61 of 242
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

apparently a non-issue for 99% of iPhone 4 owners.

99.45% actually. CMON STOP MISREPRESENTING THIS AS A BIGGER ISSUE THAN IT IS!
  • Reply 62 of 242
    icarasicaras Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

How does this argument work for Apple?

Apple has the only phone where X marks the spot since it is the only phone that can be effected by a single finger touch. For you to get the same effect on other phones, you need to cover the entire antenna with your palm in a death grip.

Yea, you're right. I guess was just thinking that you only had to touch one small part on the iPhone 4 to attenuate the signal, where on other phones, there is a wider area, but I guess that means probably covering that wider area completely with the "death grip".
  • Reply 63 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I haven't seen any videos of one finger killing the signal of an iPhone 4, either.

Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tfH9oBQbk

Thought it's pre 4.01, it demonstrates a single finger causing attenuation.
  • Reply 64 of 242
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I did notice worse reception in my home, so I purchased the AT&T MicroCell. However, I think it actually made calls worse.

Sue AT&T!
  • Reply 65 of 242
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Apparently. Pinch a finger at the first joint. Blood pools and finger tip turns red. Similar effect if you grab the phone and squeeze as shown.

If you really are an alien, you can prove it by giving me winning lottery numbers for next Saturday.

yes, but take a closer look at the photo and you will see that there is no white parts on the thumb nail, which naturally would appear with a firm grip, though the side would get red.

Just because I could be an alien that doesnt mean I can do fortune telling. :P
  • Reply 66 of 242
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    As terse as Steve's comment was about "avoid holding it that way..." That is exactly what one should do when in a weak signal zone. Once you know what is going on you simply adjust your grip accordingly.

1. iP4 almost identical dropped calls as 3GS

2. Return rate of iP4 almost nil

3. Many people report even better reception than 3GS

4. Everything about the phone and the screen and the software is stellar

and 5. Don't like it, don't buy it or return it for full refund.

The phone is so spectacular they can't meet demand and virtually no one is going to give it up once they have it. I wish I could find one as my 3GS died yesterday due to a swimming accident.
  • Reply 67 of 242
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chillin View Post

You are incorrect.

Think about this for a minute and you will realize you are wrong. Let me give you a hint: physics.

The death grip is the way to affect the attentuation the most, and is demonstrable on all cell phones.

How would you touch a non-iPhone to just barely affect the attenuation of the antenna? IF you just wanted to give it a blip... a tiny little bit of interference... how would you go about doing that, I wonder? Maybe... if you... just barely touched it with your FINGER! Yes, that would do it. In fact... you can do it without actually touching... sometimes... just get the tip of your finger reeeally close... and that will do it.

Again, you are incorrect. All cell phones' antenna's, by rule of teh Physics of teh Universe, will be aversely affected by touching the phone pretty much anywhere with a single finger. Some spots are worse than others. Most manuals point out the bad spot.

Stop. Looking. At. The. Signal. Bars. They. Are. Meaningless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TclS...layer_embedded

Watch how the packets stop as soon as you touch the iPhone on the seam.

While the signal bars themselves are meaningless, the data will stop. That's not meaningless.
  • Reply 68 of 242
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

1) it wasn't a single finger touch.

2) that kind of contact doesnt occur when holding the phone in any natural way.

Right, for it to have been a single finger touch, the phones screen would not have been visible, so he also had to use a finger on the front to keep it from falling to the ground. Now, if you can explain how one can hold the iP4 with a single finger while making a call, you might have a point. Otherwise, your argument has already been debunked:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Oh, but one finger on the iPhone antenna seam is a natural hold? The only difference between the 2 is the location and that one's antenna is internal, while the other is not, which I guess throws cold water on the whole, "Apple screwed up with an external antenna," talking point. Sorry about that.

If you want to shift your claim to, "But the iPhone is affected by a normal grip," well, so are all the other phones we've seen videos of. So, one finger, normal grip, there's nothing unique about the iP4 in this regard, and your criticism, while it can be directed at other phones as well, falls flat on its face when you attempt to single out the iP4.

• Reply 69 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tfH9oBQbk

Thought it's pre 4.01, it demonstrates a single finger causing attenuation.

Heres another one, showing data loss. iPhone4 is tethered to a laptop. As soon as you touch the seam, the packets complete stop.
  • Reply 70 of 242
    Quote:

Heres another one, showing data loss. iPhone4 is tethered to a laptop. As soon as you touch the seam, the packets complete stop.

BUT, if other phones are shown to do the same thing with a single finger, it's only fair to not judge this phone so harshly.
  • Reply 71 of 242
    Quote:

Right, for it to have been a single finger touch, the phones screen would not have been visible, so he also had to use a finger on the front to keep it from falling to the ground. Now, if you can explain how one can hold the iP4 with a single finger while making a call, you might have a point. Otherwise, your argument has already been debunked:

When you hold the phone naturally with the corner resting in your palm, your palm comes into contact with the spot that you need to touch to make the iPhone 4's signal drop significantly.

So even if you can't hold the iPhone 4 with one finger, you can replicate the effect with a natural hold.
  • Reply 72 of 242
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Don't press this issue too hard, folks. Otherwise we're all going to end up with this again:
  • Reply 73 of 242
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    Quote:

While the signal bars themselves are meaningless, the data will stop. That's not meaningless.

Yes... I can SEE the microwaves!! The iPhone is just IGNORING THEM!!

Unfortunately, you are blind to what is in front of you.

Exactly what is the position of the cell tower in relation to where the video was made? What was the state of the tower? (how many users, how many voice, how many data, etc.) Anything blocking line of sight? a wall? Trees?.

Would you be in an area of weak cell perhaps? Can you repeat this in an area of 100% cell signal?

An isolated, anacdotal piece of observation doesn't say what you think it says. It says much much less.

Signal bars are meaningless... in the sense that you can make a call, or you can't. You can get data, or you can't. In an area of weak signal, deattenuating the antenna will, surprise surprise, make the signal received EVEN WORSE. And if you want to sabotage your signal reception, you can do it with any cell phone.
  • Reply 74 of 242
    Quote:

BUT, if other phones are shown to do the same thing with a single finger, it's only fair to not judge this phone so harshly.

Yes, but this hasn't been shown. And don't point to the Galaxy S video because that doesn't even come close. thats an entire corner of the phone being covered with two fingers. Again, thats an issue with covering the antenna, not touching it with your skin.
  • Reply 75 of 242
    Quote:

As it will on all the other phones that have been demonstrated to have this problem. Duh!

Are you planning to just repeat the same nonsense over and over, regardless of how mistaken it is shown to be?
  • Reply 76 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

yes, but take a closer look at the photo and you will see that there is no white parts on the thumb nail, which naturally would appear with a firm grip, though the side would get red.

Just because I could be an alien that doesnt mean I can do fortune telling. :P

Yep, you're an alien. My nail is red as well with a firm grip. There's nothing about that photo that counters the claim that is is a firm grip. No sense going on and on about this, I can easily replicate the picture, apparently you can't.

Also, if you can't do fortune telling, what good are you as an alien anyway?
  • Reply 77 of 242
    Quote:

When you hold the phone naturally with the corner resting in your palm, your palm comes into contact with the spot that you need to touch to make the iPhone 4's signal drop significantly.

So even if you can't hold the iPhone 4 with one finger, you can replicate the effect with a natural hold.

Since you are repeating the same, already refuted argument, here's the same reply.

Quote:

Oh, but one finger on the iPhone antenna seam is a natural hold? The only difference between the 2 is the location and that one's antenna is internal, while the other is not, which I guess throws cold water on the whole, "Apple screwed up with an external antenna," talking point. Sorry about that.

If you want to shift your claim to, "But the iPhone is affected by a normal grip," well, so are all the other phones we've seen videos of. So, one finger, normal grip, there's nothing unique about the iP4 in this regard, and your criticism, while it can be directed at other phones as well, falls flat on its face when you attempt to single out the iP4.

• Reply 78 of 242
    Quote:

Are there videos documenting that? I've seen the "watch the signal bar drop" videos, but frankly couldn't care less if the phone still functions fine.
  • Reply 79 of 242
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

I'm no Apple apologist, after all Apple makes mistakes, and I've called BS on a few in the past (I stated the cube would fail right after it launched, I didn't go all gaga over it). Okay, so got my "bonafides" out of the way

If Apple deserves the heat for "antennaegate" then so be it, but the minute their competitors start throwing stones, well then cry me a river if they think it is "unfair" that Apple points out their own flaws. If Nokia didn't want their antennae issues pointed out, then they shouldn't have yelled "dog-pile on Apple" and instead just stay out of the fracas.

K, nuff said.

++

They all asked for this. They are the ones that started making fun of Apple's position. Apple did not drag anyone else into this. They all jumped in themselves via dogpiling Apple.
  • Reply 80 of 242
    Quote:

Yes, but this hasn't been shown. And don't point to the Galaxy S video because that doesn't even come close. thats an entire corner of the phone being covered with two fingers. Again, thats an issue with covering the antenna, not touching it with your skin.

Again, if you are just going to repeat the same debunked arguments, there's no point in doing anything but posting the original responses:

Quote:

A distinction without a difference. Many phones have been shown to lose signal when held in a "normal grip". So, what does it matter that one is in physical contact with the antenna or not? It doesn't. The effect is the same.