Apple unsure when it will be able to meet demand for iPhone 4, iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdatwood View Post

The only word of caution I would mention is that usually the hype (and hubris) is the highest right before the crash.

Aaaaaannd it's always darkest before the dawn

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

East is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet

Look before you leap

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

A rolling stone gathers no moss
  • Reply 42 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I came here to read some troll trash. Where are they? I'm so disappointed.\

Okay, how about this...

Dante was wrong. There is a tenth circle of hell and its name is Apple.

Naw, the average troll wouldn't have a clue who Dantes was.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdatwood View Post

The only word of caution I would mention is that usually the hype (and hubris) is the highest right before the crash.

Yeah, the crash is certainly coming. Though I don't think you will be amongst the living to watch it happening. But don't misunderstand me. I still wish you a happy long life.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is good to be Apple right now. Except for the bullseye on their pile of cash that lawsuit hungry lawyers and competitors want. Apple's legal team is probably the fastest growing section of Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Build a plant in the US.......

Can you imagine what it would do for the economy if Apple started to actually build products here? If the second largest US company (by market cap) actually created a new trend in manufacuring. What if all Apple products were eventually "Made in USA". Just sayin.... who would not buy into that??

Agreed. Costs would be somewhat higher but not THAT much. There are a lot of out of work people here. Also, Apple isn't taking into account the cost associated with getting paid (from consumes) weeks or months later. They could be investing or reinvesting that income. There has got to be some entreprenuer out there that could take the lead on this with Apple's help. If Jobs wants to change the world, here is his opportunity.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    First: Apple absolutely does create artificial shortages to increase hype - it is Steve Jobs' first tenet of his remarkable marketing skill.

Second: The real reason Apple execs will not answer the question of when iP4 supply will catch up with demand is because they have shut down the production line while working out the redesign of the antenna.

The question now has become will those of us with the crippled version, as early adopters, get to exchange our problem phone for the redesigned model when it is available. I predict about Oct. 1, as indicated by Steve's announcement of the date when they will quit giving away the rubber bands.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    This is amazing considering one device was ridiculed before its debut, and once has been since its debut.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Apple can't make the iPhones fast enough.....world wide demand is overwhelming. There is no need to open up the US market to more carriers....it wouldn't increase sales at this point in time.

Apple can make more money from 1 carrier than from multiple carriers as long as demand outstrips supply.

If Apple goes to a multiple carrier model, they will be 'forced' to reduce the required kickback cost for each unit sold. If every carrier offered the iPhone, the iPhone is 'worth less' to each carrier since they would not be able to steal away customers.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Can you imagine what it would do for the economy if Apple started to actually build products here? If the second largest US company (by market cap) actually created a new trend in manufacuring. What if all Apple products were eventually "Made in USA". Just sayin.... who would not buy into that??

I'd be all for this. Though, I'd be really curious how much more a $1,799 MBP would cost if made here in the states. I think I'd be willing to pay a $100 premium.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Long Time View Post

First: Apple absolutely does create artificial shortages to increase hype - it is Steve Jobs' first tenet of his remarkable marketing skill.

Second: The real reason Apple execs will not answer the question of when iP4 supply will catch up with demand is because they have shut down the production line while working out the redesign of the antenna.

The question now has become will those of us with the crippled version, as early adopters, get to exchange our problem phone for the redesigned model when it is available. I predict about Oct. 1, as indicated by Steve's announcement of the date when they will quit giving away the rubber bands.

And you know this all to be true how?
  • Reply 51 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Can't wait to see what other 'new products' Jobs keeps referring too!

I'm expecting a massive refresh to the iPod line up. Included there would be a big brother to the current Touch, that would be a 5 to 7 inch device.

An XMac. Yes I know but they have to keep momentum moving forward and demand is there.

A Mac Mini based on AMDs Fusion or intels equivalent. That based on the hope that the chips will be out buy October or so.

The obvious revs to the rest of the Mac Line up.

A real decent home server, no the Mini server isn't the machine for that. However I'd settle for a LightPeak attached disk array.

A revised iPad.

So yeah lots of new stuff should come this year. I just hope that Apple goes for it.

Dave
  • Reply 52 of 79
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Those clueless idiots at Apple! Don't they know that there are endless sources of manufacturing in countries where the workforce is just sitting around picking their noses and waiting for something to do. And of course the flash makers, and the touch-screen makers and chip makers all have just scads of the stuff sitting around in piles waiting for someone to come and buy it.

Obviously Apple has NO idea how to run a successful business, and all their faithful are faltering in their faith as a result. So not only do we have a frackin' clueless company who couldn't manage their way out of a recession, or post impressive quarter on quarter gains, but now they are causing a crisis of faith among their ardent supporters!

C'mon Apple, Bobo sez all you have to do is go fire up a couple of dozen factories in these poor countries, shiv their lazy-ass workers into line and pour the parts into the bins and kick it into high gear for frack's sake!

Just DO IT!!!!!

Sorry I missed the version before you toned down the sarcasm.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Just curious what you guys think about Windows Phone 7 so far. Pro-Apple sites like Engadget and Gizmodo love the UI and say Apple finally has some competition. I have to admit to being intrigued by the hub/tile metaphor. It seems more advanced than the iPhone's apps-only approach.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Can you imagine what it would do for the economy if Apple started to actually build products here? If the second largest US company (by market cap) actually created a new trend in manufacturing. What if all Apple products were eventually "Made in USA". Just saying.... who would not buy into that??

i love your post

all the chinese made apple devices have bloods dripping from them

in the usa we have worker rights work place safety rules and laws

yes apple takes great care to make their chinese productions as fair as can be

Yet America or Mexico or Canada should have some factories ...

even high end glass works made in swiss Germany and japan can be moved here

A4 chip can be made here ...

Americans buy billions in Apple devices and we love Apple like no other ...

So Apple .. Can you hear me ??? SO APPLE

Please give something back to the country that butter your bread .

And hundreds smaller firms would also benefit from apple factories here.

I will pay 20% more to see a made in the USA stamp ON MY new face time 4g/7g ipodtouch.

go apple

go america

peace

• Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Long Time View Post

Why would they

when the hype is already out of this world ??

long time first post

not so good
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Balmer? You think he's smart enough?

i guess your right. balmer is like the edsel.

• Reply 57 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I will pay 20% more to see a made in the USA stamp ON MY new face time 4g/7g ipodtouch.

You might but I suspect a whole load of people wouldn't given how high the prices are already.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Let's face it with iPhone 4 Apple has screwed up a bit. There really was no excuse. In anyevent production issues must be ironed out or they wouldn't be expanding distribution.

IPhone though isn't where my interest lay. IPad is a big surprise to me, it is far better than any rev one product, in a new category, that I've ever seen. It really is that good and frankly it is all I can do to resist buying one right now.

Why do I resist you might ask. Well simple as good as it is iPad could be a lot better with some simple tweaks. Most of these tweaks could come right out of the iPhone 4 parts bin. They are:
    1. More RAM. While this is probably obvious Norah upgrade to the 512 Meg A4 is needed real soon now.

2. Likewise the gyro feature in iPhone needs to be ported in.

3. I'm mixed with respect to a FaceTime Camera but it would seem to fit into Apples rumored plans.

4. SD port. This should be obvious especially on a portable device with a great screen and useful photography software. The sticky point here is that I would want Apple to give us access to the file system there.

5. A temperature and pressure sensor for atmospheric conditions. Yeah a bit of a pipe dream but one with numerous potential uses.

What is really notable here is that Apple could implement more memory any time in the iPad. IPhone 4 clearly demonstrates both the hardware and the benefits of more RAM. The gyro is simply needed to keep parity with iPhone for software developers.

The other items are more wishes than anything. Even then I'm mixed on the FaceTime camera.

However the SD slot I see as a big deal. First the camera connection kit is a bit of a joke in the sense that one should not need an attachment for a port standard on other Apple products. Especially with the synergy between iPad and photography. Beyound that one needs to realize that iPad will never have enough Flash storage, so the best place for large files like Movies is on SD cards. Especially if you take off on a trip and give up high speed Internet for a few weeks. Of course a USB port could serve the same purpose but there are additional issues that would likely eliminate that port from the handheld devices. Mainly the USB problem is the expectation that every USB device ever made should work on it. An SD slot allows for additional bulk storage without huge support issues or massive power draw.

Dave
  • Reply 59 of 79
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Like Apple can't find another plant to get these iPhones manufactured?! I'm loosing my faith in Apple as it clearly doesn't learn form past mistakes with the rollout of iPhones. They know the demand is huge so why don't they just meet up to the demand. I wouldn't like to have manufacturers that can't meet my demands!

It sounds so not Apple to not have full control over this situation!

At first I read this as "another planet," which might just be the solution Apple seeks. Earth just isn't big enough. I hear the Venusians work cheap. (Just don't ask me how I know.)
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple owns PR. They can simply ignore it, create their own, and then just run with it. THAT is how strong their products are across the board.

This decade belongs to Apple. They've got the game all figured out for the next several years. Easy.

I realize that Apple owns the media but I have to disagree with the notion that they have it "figured out fot he next several years".The IPhone is losing market share rather than gaining, while Android is gaining several times more new customers than Apple is losing. During the 3 weeks since the Iphone 4 was released Apple sold about 3 million of them (according to Apple) but 77% of these buyers were previous IPhone users. During that sime time frame Android phones were sold to more than 3 million users, about 90% of which were new users. Put those stats together and see a very different picture than the one Apple is painting in public. In private the people at Apple are seeing their market share slipping away in much the same way that Mac sales whithered under the pressure from open systems (Windows now has 92+% of the PC market). The net of Android vs. Iphone sales since the release of IPhone 4 are that Android gained more than 3 times as many new users as Apple, and that number is accelerating rather than leveling off. I would expect that within several months there will be more Android users than IPhone users and within a year or two there will be more Android users than any other Phone OS.

I am an engineer (for 30 years now) and I would say that Apple makes fine products, not bleeding edge as they would have their customers believe, but functional and relatively easy to use. But the formula used to get the relative ease of use and massive profits is that they try and sell the same phone or limited range of computers to everyone, and they additionally limit even what you can do with these products after you buy them. When smartphone choices were clunky and limited the IPhone made sense, but with the advent of phones like the Droid X and Evo 4G the logic no longer holds that Apple makes the best product for everyone. The EVO 4 G might be too big for some people but it is much more capable than the IPhone 4, and for those who want a smaller phone or a keyboard or who want to modify the opperating system, or who want to download apps from anywhere, there is a Android phone for that. For IPhone users there is one phone with one source of apps, (tightly controlled) of one size, without a keyboard, for everyone. Even things like only being able to video chat with other IPhone users, and only while connected to WIFi, are already a thing of the past with Android phones.

As to the antenna issue, as an engineer I would have to disagree with Apple's contention that the antenna issue is no big deal. It is a for real engineering mistake. No other phone has a similar problem because no other phone has an exposed conductive path between the two antennas in their phone. It is true that any phone will show a signal degradation when covered by the hand but none come even close to what you will see with a moist hand touching the left hand corner of an IPhone 4. Some tests show a 28 db loss when touching the corner of the phone, that is orders of magnitude more signal loss than you would get with other phones. And Job's own quoted stats show that the IPHone 4 drops 1 call out of 100 MORE than pervious models. To put that in persepective, the average phone drops 1 call in 100, so an IPhone 4 drops twice as many calls as the industry standard, so how is this the best reception of any IPhone so far?