Apple executives dodge data center, FaceTime questions in earnings call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The coasts always get the data centers

Though I gotta say I'm excited for iTunes cloud and especially the new apple TV. If it is what I think it is it's gonna be awesome!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

FaceTime for iPod Touch and Macs is coming no questions about. I want to see FaceTime as part of AppleTV somehow. Making and receiving video calls using TV will big hit if done right.

I want Ponies, too.

until TVs come bundled with mics and webcams, this ain't gonna happen. Every rumor regarding AppleTV is about reducing footprint and features and moving it to a cloud experience. That massive (and short) HDMI cable connecting AppleTV to TV pretty much makes Facetime camera and mic on the device a non-starter.

Better to have 'wireless' streaming of video from a iPhone4 to your AppleTV (sort of like streaming audio from iTunes to a 'remote' set of AppleTV connected speakers). Even that seems to be crazy silly (upstreaming that much bandwidth from a iPhone/PodTouch).

Finally, The Retina Display technology precludes this... I see Apple pushing Facetime to be a iPad big seller (think Xmas selling season), especially if they come out with different form factors (5/7/10/13/15/17 diagonals... the latter 3 being 'iPad Pro' (and/or macbook Air2'). Most reviewers say, that unless you have a 60" or larger TV, the relative resolution of the iPhone 4 is 'better' and the age of 'personal TV' is upon us. (as Retina Display technology costs come down, and you see 200/300dpi move to the iPad, Apple will sell you a 'better' video phone experience for <$1000, than all but the most expensive HT solutions could provide.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

What you were doing was theft, pure and simple.

no way

someone got some aud recorded shows or soundboards

and we traded them and those only

mainly non released non studio shows

pink floyd the who hendrix

doors early bob dylan

hendrix family contacted me and asked for any shows i had so they could add or fix there raw tapes

i gave them 18 shows

i gave roger waters 9 shows from 1970 jan to march 3

gilmour did not like what we did

nick mason is the one who gave all the sound board pink floyd recorded archives away for free in the late 1980's to his car racing buddies

i own 5000 cds i bought

i own 400 dvds i bought

i own 600 tv shows from itunes

i own 4 movies from itunes

i own 900 plus songs from itunes

i own over 200 discs os SW

all of this i paid for .

i RIAA sued me twice and lost , they applauded me in the end and gave me some cool neil young rare boots they owned <<live at massy >>

i am not a theif

if an artist puts sounds in the air and does not put those chords for sale

i may want to hear that show

my first ipod only contained live pink floyd boots AIFF stlye

get your facts right

peace 9
  • Reply 24 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Why doesn't Apple support standard formats on the iPad?

so for now it will be crippled a little . sorry ..

but we have already got pages going so it should be fully open soon

2013 maybe

• Reply 25 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

no way

doors early bob dylan

hendrix family contacted me and asked for any shows i had so they could add or fix there raw tapes

i gave them 18 shows

nick mason is the one who gave all the sound board pink floyd recorded archives away for free in the late 1980's to his car racing buddies

i own 5000 cds i bought

i own 400 dvds i bought

all of this i paid for .

i RIAA sued me twice and lost , they applauded me in the end and gave me some cool neil young rare boots they owned <<live at massy >>

i am not a theif

get your facts right

peace 9

This is probably your best post.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

no way

doors early bob dylan

i gave them 18 shows

i own 5000 cds i bought

i own 400 dvds i bought

all of this i paid for .

i am not a theif

get your facts right

peace 9

Ahh, to wish Waters and Gilmour could have mended the ways to give the world some more of Pink Floyd. It sounds like you've had some memorable experiences in life. Best wishes.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Along with metal cases and exposed antennas, I'm afraid this is yet another illustration that those high up at Apple still don't 'get' radio.

Quote:

The new data center is also rumored to be related to Apple's years old project code named iTunes Replay, an effort to deliver media streaming of users' own content to their mobile devices...

Unless someone lives in a small town or rural area, there's not enough cellular bandwidth in the spectrum to stream all this media to millions of mobile devices. If we want to listen to music or video on the go, we're going to have to load it on our mobile devices in advance. Cellular companies know this. That's why they're ending their unlimited data plans.

There is a solution, although I've yet to hear anyone discuss it. Digital television has lots of bandwidth, high antennas and power, and permits subchannels that they're currently using for less popular TV programming. There's no reason those data channels couldn't be used to broadcast any sort of data to mobile devices. People could watch popular events live or their smart phones could be smart enough to record for latter playback. And since data is data, music, magazines and newspapers could be distributed that same way.

The key is using digital TV as a broadcast medium for data in wide demand, freeing two-way cellular data spectrum for individual use. To give one example, it's be far more efficient to distribute a World Series game to everyone in a city via a single TV subchannel, than to send it thousands of times separately to individuals via cellular channels.

If Apple and others don't begin to think creatively about using the radio spectrum sensibly and efficiently, they're going to find the market for their new mobile devices drying up as cellular channels in major cities choke with excessive data demands. And if spectrum isn't used wisely, it'll have to be rationed with higher prices, reducing the potential market for iPhones.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien
  • Reply 28 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, AI: Are you guys making a separate story of just about every sentence of the answers in the Q&A portion of the earnings call!?

You could easily bundle these into one or two stories. (Unless, of course, someone is getting paid by the story. )

Additional page views when you are paid by the click are a serious incentive for parsing stories into tiny bits of information. Gotta keep the advertisers happy!
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I thought I'd go looking how the Data Center is progressing from Google Earth, but apparently Apple can not only hide new products and software features but to hide a whole data center. All that is visible off Startown Road is the access road to the new facility the actual site location is hidden by a several year old Sat. Photo. Check it out.

Apple, Inc, 6081 Startown Road, Maiden, NC 28650-8772

Latitude: 35°35'20.30"N

Longitude: 81°15'34.52"W

Also the Address listed comes up on the wrong side of the divided highway but the Co-ordinates point to the middle of where the data center should be.

Nothing on Bing maps either, even though it says it's a 2010 shot.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

But if you look at Google Earth the Paved Entry road is visible off Startown Road and it's less than a year old but how convenient the adjacent photo image that contains the Data Center was not updated. You'd think Eric Schmidt would want to expose Apple's secret.

I think they will 'erase' anything requested of them.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

Here is a video from Feb.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...e-idatacenter/

One can imagine the artificial intelligence bubbling just under the surface...
  • Reply 32 of 34
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    That the media likes to hammer Apple about details on future products when they do these earning calls? Even after all these years, and all the mud slinging they like to hurl at Apple, they still act like kids trying to find out what going to be under the tree this Christmas. I never noticed this with Google or Microsoft, or even Dell. (Ok there's nothing exciting about Dell, but I put them in there because they "make" competing products).

The irony. "You guys suck and so does your phone!!!" "Hey, what are you working on there? Is this the line for it? Cool."
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

That the media likes to hammer Apple about details on future products when they do these earning calls? Even after all these years, and all the mud slinging they like to hurl at Apple, they still act like kids trying to find out what going to be under the tree this Christmas. I never noticed this with Google or Microsoft, or even Dell. (Ok there's nothing exciting about Dell, but I put them in there because they "make" competing products).

The irony. "You guys suck and so does your phone!!!" "Hey, what are you working on there? Is this the line for it? Cool."

They are all shameless dorks. With news outlets all offering iPhone apps these days, they are all far too eager to constantly hawk their app and have feature stories on the iPhone... constantly! Don't get me wrong, I love it and so does Apple's bottom line. And the beautiful thing is there is literally no competition in sight. Not Microsoft, not Google... nothing.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    All Past 2010 Full Record USA B2C Data

File Size: 12 gb - Compressed RAR Unique

EMAIL Record Count: Over 200+ Million!

Target Audience: Debt, Financial,Free

Gifts,Education,Payday,Mortgage,Auto Loan & More.

Only For $500

Email:[email protected]