Apple opens new iPad-like MobileMe Calendar beta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has launched its new beta V2 update of the MobileMe web-based Calendar, sending users announcements that allows them to opt into the new program, which brings shared calendaring and an iPad-like appearance.

Opting into the new beta upgrades the calendar data in a way that makes any changes connected to the new format. Users who choose to leave the beta will lose updated changes, as Apple warns in the signup process.

The new Calendar requires users to upgrade to the latest iOS 4 for iPhone and iPod touch, the latest Mac OS X 10.6.4 or the most recent MobileMe Control Panel 1.6.1 for Windows, and demands a modern web browser, minimally Safari 4, Firefox 3.6, or Internet Explore 8.

Apple also notes that the new calendar beta does not support Microsoft Outlook behind a proxy server, and does not support push updates for Windows and iPad users. The iPad will fetch new data when its Calendar is opened, while Outlook running on Windows will fetch new event data every five minutes. Other iOS devices and Mac will continue to receive push updates normally.

Users with lots of calendar data may be warned that their older data will be incrementally upgraded over the next hour.

Looks like iPad

The new MobileMe Calendar features an iPad-like slider control at the bottom for rapidly navigating to future and previous months, and a calendar and notes view that appear to be tear off pads of paper. Also like the iPad Calendar, it presents a Day summary and List view of upcoming events.

MobileMe users can opt in to the new beta by logging in and requesting an invite. The new Calendar update is the latest in an overhaul series that began with Mail. The new updates use the latest SproutCore frameworks to create a very desktop-like experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I missed using cmd-i and cmd-e to look and edit events on Snow/Leopard's iCal.... Double-click is a hassle to me sadly. I don't think they have it on the new beta version and with the aforementioned warning, not trying the beta after what happened to my mail beta.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Has anyone seen an actual invitation? I requested one, but the message was that I'd be contacted "in the coming weeks."
  • Reply 3 of 34
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Has anyone seen an actual invitation? I requested one, but the message was that I'd be contacted "in the coming weeks."

The invitation is probably just an e-mail. After all, that's what I got for the MobileMe Mail beta a few months ago. It was so nondescript that I don't even remember what it looked like or said. I just clicked on whatever link was in the message. I think I received the invite 3-4 weeks after I requested the invite. It was long enough after the signup for me to forget.

That said, I've given up playing with these service betas. I'd rather wait until the upgrade is publicly released to all.

What does it matter what the invitation e-mail looks like or when you get it? It's not like you have any control over such matters.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I received mine on Tuesday. It’s a lot more than a simple UI change. They are altering a lot of the backend which, as you can see, requires a manual setup on the iPad to connect the calendars, among other changes. This makes me wonder if it won’t be out of the Beta phase under they A) make it backwards compatible with older calendar software, or B) will wait until iOS version 4.x for the iPad is released. I would assume the latter.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The invitation is probably just an e-mail.

Yep, just an email, with a follow up with some basic instructions and such if you accept.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Everybody should note that if you're using BusyCal or BusySync, you should NOT opt-in to the MobileMe Calendar Beta, because it will NOT WORK with BusyCal or BusySync.

More details here:

http://blog.busymac.com/blog/2010/07...ndar-beta.html
  • Reply 7 of 34
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss;

I received mine today, but I have a couple of Leopard Machines sync through mobileme, a fairly big number of back events and then sync one of the Snow Leopard machines with google calendars through busysync. Sometimes I edit a bunch of entries with bento.

I think I'll wait.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse;

I missed using cmd-i and cmd-e to look and edit events on Snow/Leopard's iCal.... Double-click is a hassle to me sadly. I don't think they have it on the new beta version and with the aforementioned warning, not trying the beta after what happened to my mail beta.

I tend to use the inspector window (option-command-I) as the editing works much the same in snow leopard as it did in the tiger version. Close enough, but old habits die hard...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    jnjnjnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 62member
    But does it have a week number?
  • Reply 10 of 34
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Glad to see the iPad calendar app will be used in MobileMe on the web. That was one of the main selling points of iPad for me. I never could "connect" with the formatting of the iCal type of calendar. It's too sparse for me. But I recognize to each his/her own.

Am patiently awaiting my invitation.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    giosacconegiosaccone Posts: 121member
    I tried it and in my opinion it's very very well done
  • Reply 12 of 34
    joe1511joe1511 Posts: 3member
    Hi all,

Anyone from UK been activated with the new Beta Cal yet? Accepted the invite as soon as I saw it but no email yet.

Thanks,

J
  • Reply 13 of 34
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe1511 View Post

Hi all,

Anyone from UK been activated with the new Beta Cal yet? Accepted the invite as soon as I saw it but no email yet.

Thanks,

J

Got my email just before midnight. However the email beta invitation took at least 2 weeks to arrive after others had started to receive them. Depends when you asked for an invite, if you were in the mail beta (and perhaps if you actually used it enough/provided any feedback etc if you were) I suppose. It's clearly not just blanket acceptance on a first come first served basis.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Can you subscribe to calenders yet? I can't find a way to do it in the current MobileMe Calendar app.

(Note: I've only been using MobileMe for the past week.)
  • Reply 15 of 34
    I got my invitation a day or two ago, but I am not sure what all the fuss is about because it seems little more than a cosmetic facelift. Sure, they put CalDAV as the underpinning, but how does that help people who need to work with CalDAV servers?

Maybe I am missing something, but there is still no way to get bi-directional synchronization between MobileMe calendar and office CalDAV servers such as Zimbra. I can sync Zimbra with iCal, but that cannot be synchronized with MobileMe and so MobileMe seems pretty much useless for anyone who relies on CalDAV servers.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I got my invitation a day or two ago, but I am not sure what all the fuss is about because it seems little more than a cosmetic facelift. Sure, they put CalDAV as the underpinning, but how does that help people who need to work with CalDAV servers?

Cosmetic facelifts can do wonders for usability, and this beta brings additional features as well. I especially like the fast-switching for months in the bottom toolbar, the new task list, and the enhanced day-view. All of these things, in addition to greater calendar support and improved visuals, make up a very good upgrade.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Why oh why oh why are we STILL waiting for a simple calendar to show yearly view??? Hello people? It's a calendar for goodness sake.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The ios4 requirement for the iphone is a deal breaker for me (until I get my phone 4). I had to downgrade my 3g as ios4 made it unusably slow.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjnjn View Post

But does it have a week number?

Exactly! I cannot understand why iCal doesn't have week numbers. Nor iOS4 (or any other version for that matter). I don't see week numbers in all the screendumps on the internet. Sometimes it feels like Apple forgets that the world is bigger than the USA. No offense intended, but a simple thing as week numbers? In Holland we use it all the time at work. I presume Americans do as well? Don't you guys feel this is an omission?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 20 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Why oh why oh why are we STILL waiting for a simple calendar to show yearly view??? Hello people? It's a calendar for goodness sake.

My rambling on the week numbers applies to your requested year view as well. Of course.