Apple warns of short-term iMac shortages ahead of new models - sources

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, a 30 foot iMac would be impressive.

thanks...yep that's what I meant 30 feet!
  • Reply 22 of 96
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Touchscreen iMac, please.

Are you going to reach across your desk poke at your iMac screen? How cumbersome. Touch interfaces work well for handheld devices, but screens sitting at the back of your desk? Not so much.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    sergesfsergesf Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james808 View Post

Please. Either iMacs with the option for matte screens, or some new stand alone displays. I won't hold my breath for either.

I did not buy iMacs for my design studio for this reason only. Instead, I bought NEC IPS displays for their matte screens.

YOU've LOST MY COMPANY AS A CUSTOMER FOR NEXT 5 YEARS, MR JOBS!!! STOP THAT GLOSSY MADNESS!!!
  • Reply 24 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

hmm sounds enticing but i need concrete details before decieding to send back the MacBook pro I have in the mail.

get both, what the hell
  • Reply 25 of 96
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    hmmm... interesting news. an upgrade to my first gen aluminium imac is a possibility, and i will qualify for edu discount until the end of sep. would be great if they come out before then so i can qualify for a free ipod touch which i won't hold onto

what are the chances considering the back to school offers are in progress?
  • Reply 26 of 96
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I would not be surprised if Apple includes the USB 3.0....

I would like to see a "top of the line" >30" iMac!

Also, what about the new iMac case being two pieces of black glass (front and back) with a band of aluminum sandwiched between like the iPhone 4?

That would be very dramatic!

Best

And damn heavy too!
  • Reply 27 of 96
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    An iMac with a video card that's not already outdated would be nice.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    james808james808 Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

I did not buy iMacs for my design studio for this reason only. Instead, I bought NEC IPS displays for their matte screens.

Just curious, which model NEC did you get (I'm also a designer)? I don't know that I can wait any longer and I'm tired of "making do." I gave glossy a chance when I bought my MacBook Pro right before matte was an option, and the verdict is I hate glossy as much as I thought I would—the eye strain is ridiculous.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    comment removed by author
  • Reply 30 of 96
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    New iMacs already? Is this ahead of usual refreshes or was I in a time warp for a while there. Hm... gonna go check when these puppies were last refreshed.

USB 3.0 would be awesome BTW
  • Reply 31 of 96
    bluevoidbluevoid Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Just curious, which model NEC did you get (I'm also a designer)? I don't know that I can wait any longer and I'm tired of "making do." I gave glossy a chance when I bought my MacBook Pro right before matte was an option, and the verdict is I hate glossy as much as I thought I would—the eye strain is ridiculous.

Have fun with the eye strain from the incredibly heavy, grainy/sparkly matte coating of every other IPS panel out there, then.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Please. Either iMacs with the option for matte screens...

Seconded. I can't buy an iMac until then. \
  • Reply 33 of 96
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Touchscreen iMac, please.

Yeah, like you're gonna put your fingers on your vertical monitor which is half a meter away from you... Muscle pain!

Think McFly, THINK! It doesn't compute.

The best you're gonna get is some sort of touch trackpad as an accessory to your iMac/Mac Pro.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring out a new MAC PRO !!

It has been over a year and four months since the last update!

Amen to that. Earlier in the year the chips were out but there was a shortage, but now they are shipping in quantity so there's no excuse. And don't botch the update like you did last time (downgrade/price increase?).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And it's spent 7 years in the same case.

Which makes perfect sense. I love the current case, and I'd love to see them keep it mostly the same.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I would not be surprised if Apple includes the USB 3.0....

I would like to see a "top of the line" >30" iMac!

Also, what about the new iMac case being two pieces of black glass (front and back) with a band of aluminum sandwiched between like the iPhone 4?

That would be very dramatic!

Best

How's this for a powerhouse dream iMac...

30" LED screen(matte optional)

3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7

32GB RAM maximum

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 dedicated GPU

512GB SSD system drive

2TB HDD

6 USB 3.0 ports

1 FW3200 port

Mini DisplayPort

eSata port

media card slot

gigabit ethernet port

optical audio i/o

BluRay Superdrive

Apple EXTENDED wireless keyboard with integrated MULTITOUCH TRACKPAD

• Reply 36 of 96
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Unless it's a touchscreen.....

But I realistically don't see a touchscreen iMac until at least Oct. 2011, with 10.7 Ocelot (Painted Leopard).

Do a practice run on a "make believe" touchscreen. See how much productivity you lose by constantly removing your hand from the keyboard or mouse to use the touchscreen and if you think you're only or primarily going to use the touchscreen, see how tired your arm gets hanging in midair for long periods of time.

A touch screen for a desktop does NOT make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I hate glossy screens. The best upgrade Apple could do here (and with everything they make that has a screen) is provide a matte screen option.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

How's this for a powerhouse dream iMac...

30" LED screen(matte optional)

3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7

32GB RAM maximum

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 dedicated GPU

512GB SSD system drive

2TB HDD

6 USB 3.0 ports

1 FW3200 port

Mini DisplayPort

eSata port

media card slot

gigabit ethernet port

optical audio i/o

BluRay Superdrive

Apple EXTENDED wireless keyboard with integrated MULTITOUCH TRACKPAD

Hell yea!
  • Reply 39 of 96
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is obvious that Apple maintains focus on their primary money maker. IMac is it in that regard.

As for what is in the upgrades I think it is about time that four cores are supplied in all iMac models, the OS is fully capable of using them and many applications also benefit. Even if the low end model has to run lower clocked or lower performance CPUs, in the end MOST users will be better of with four cores.

I doubt USB 3 will be in the machines. It all depends upon a chipset where it is "free". I'm not going to knock USB 3, but contrary to opinions expressed in this thread it isn't really all it is cracked up to be. Apple needs to implement, sometime of course; I just don't see it happening this month or next. Unless of course Apple puts in a bleeding edge Intel chipset.

As to a glass backed iMac - NO WAY. It would be far to heavy but even worst a structural nightmare. Look at it this way people Apple has come a very long way in refactoring their machines for servicability over the last couple of years. Just about every model has seen drastic improvements in this regard, even the Mini could be considered improved. The MBP went from being about the worst in the industry to the best. So why not continual improvements to the iMac that focus on servicability and easy upgrading? IMac does not need to be a form over function machine like MB AIR. So yeah redesign the case anyway you want Apple, just make access to the RAM, disk drives and other expansion very easy.

As to the screen itself, please stick with the crisp high resolution IPS displays and ignore the whining from the idiots claim such eyes hurt their eyes or in some manner offends their senses. In this case I'm speaking from experience here, matte screens leave a lot to be desired. Your primary focus should be on more pixels and increasing dynamic range.

Finally it would be really nice to see LightPeak in the iMac. Copper interconnects like USB3 and FireWire have really hit a dead end. Gives us an iMac update that will have a future. It is not that the faster copper standards won't work, they do to some extent, it's just that you don't want to be buying peripheral hardware built around a deadens tech.

Finally iMac needs at least two drive bays though more would be nice. At least one goal would be to have a very fast SSD for boot and apps with bulk storage on another drive. These drives should be available from the bottom edge of the iMac just like the RAM is. In essence slots for your "disk" drives. Since there is no logical reason to keep SSDs in the old mechanical foot print it would be fantastic to see Apple pioneer a PCI Express card format for at least one of those bays.

In the end their is plenty of room to innovate with in the iMac design. I'm just wondering if this is a minor or major design bump.

Dave
  • Reply 40 of 96
    james808james808 Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

Have fun with the eye strain from the incredibly heavy, grainy/sparkly matte coating of every other IPS panel out there, then.

I already stare at an Apple matte IPS panel every day for about 10 hours without eye strain, I don't know why a matte iMac would be any different.