Users report Bluetooth connectivity, quality issues with iOS 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Word on the street is it's a conflict with WiFi. Supposedly a known and documented issue. I would guess it will probably will be fixed in 4.1 (or maybe a 4.0.2 if one exists.)

Work around is to turn off WiFi when using Bluetooth.

Regardless of where it ends up, a fix is presumably on it's way.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VulpesRex View Post

This just in!

Today, Apple Inc. announced ToothTime, a new short range communications protocol for wireless devices. Apple started working on the new standard after users complained about buggy Bluetooth performance on iOS devices.

"Here at Apple Inc, we love our users," said CEO Steve Jobs, "And when we realized how buggy Bluetooth was, we decided to help make things right by introducing our own proprietary standard. Trust me, Bluetooth is a big bag of hurt!"

Asked about claims that Bluetooth worked fine under iOS 3 and under, Jobs responded, calling those claims, "a total crock!"

COO Tim Cook noted that Bluetooth functionality would be disabled under all future revisions of iOS and its related devices through a future software update. "You want wireless device connectivity? You'll be able to buy ToothTime enabled accessories starting in Q4 of this year. Stay tuned, this protocol is something magical! No muffled calls, no dropped connections, only crystal clear sound and flawless data transfers."

Apple executives reportedly began sending out ToothTime license applications to its accessory partners earlier this week.

More on this fictional story as it develops...

hmm ... troll !
  • Reply 23 of 71
    I actually was able to confirm with an Apple rep that this is due to wifi. Most people say this happens as they pull out of their driveway...thats probably because they are driving away from their wifi spot.

Basically, with wifi turned on, I connect to my in car BT. As soon as I drive away (and lose wifi signal), the connection hiccups, and disconnects. The iPhone does not attempt to reconnect with the BT device, and thus no connection is established. If I go to Settings->Bluetooth, I still see my in car kit as a device, but it is simply "Not Connected".

When I called Apple regarding this issue, they told me it was a known issue and could be fixed in an upcoming patch.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rider View Post

hmm ... troll !

!Troll, I though it was quite amusing. The problem may well be ios4. I hope so , I have one BT device I use while driving, and it was great with my 3G, and 3GS, but a disconnecting, distorted annoyance with my iPhone4.

Before someone says anything about the complaints to apple not showing there is a problem, I discussed it with my local Apple store - they denied there was a problem, but the Genius reinstalled the OS, and suggested if the problem continues (which it does) they will replace the Phone . I have not been back to change it in the last coupe of weeks.

\
  • Reply 25 of 71
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Bluetooth pairing issues are said to exist across a range of devices, including vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and BMW, car stereos from Pioneer and Alpine, and headsets from Motorola and Jawbone.

My experience has been quite the opposite. Since upgrading my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 and subsequently with my iPhone 4, I find that they work better with my Pioneer head unit. Acutally, with iOS4, I can actually hear my custom ringtones through the car stereo now. In my BMW, everything is working perfectly fine as well. I did have one issue however, that I've since resolved. When I had my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 3G paired with the car, I found that the system would frequently hunt between the two devices even though only one was present. Since I drive the BMW most of the time (as opposed to my wife), I just deleted her phone from the list of paired devices and bingo, problem solved. Sorry for those having problems, but mine works perfectly.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valkraider View Post

Word on the street is it's a conflict with WiFi. Supposedly a known and documented issue. I would guess it will probably will be fixed in 4.1 (or maybe a 4.0.2 if one exists.)

Can't say if it's WiFi related or not, just that in my situation, I've got BT, WiFi, 3G, location services all enabled and everything is fine. I did experience an issue with my BMW with multiple phones paired with the car (see previous post). Deleting the other phone fixed the problem. To those with problems, do you have it paired with a car and a headset or multiple devices? That's the only thing that cause a slight issue for me.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    duaneu2duaneu2 Posts: 19member
    Quote:

That would make sense. The only time mine disconnects from Bluetooth is when I'm pulling out of my driveway - about the point where I drive out of range of the house's WiFi.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    No issues here. Just purchased the blueant unit, works great.

Now the proximity sensor, don't get me started . . .

Bluetooth-gate might be coming.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

Almost every day, my iPhone 4 disconnects from the car's Bluetooth (Ford Sync in-car system) when I pull out of my driveway. I can tell it to reconnect and it's fine the rest of the day - it doesn't happen any other time.

Ford Sync is a Microsoft product - you are getting the bluetooth blue screen!
  • Reply 30 of 71
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linkshot View Post

I actually was able to confirm with an Apple rep that this is due to wifi. Most people say this happens as they pull out of their driveway...thats probably because they are driving away from their wifi spot.

Basically, with wifi turned on, I connect to my in car BT. As soon as I drive away (and lose wifi signal), the connection hiccups, and disconnects. The iPhone does not attempt to reconnect with the BT device, and thus no connection is established. If I go to Settings->Bluetooth, I still see my in car kit as a device, but it is simply "Not Connected".

When I called Apple regarding this issue, they told me it was a known issue and could be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Ahh... this describes exactly what I've experienced with my Ford Sync since updating to iOS 4. It's not a huge deal, but sounds like an easy fix is on the way.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VulpesRex View Post

This just in!

Today, Apple Inc. announced ToothTime, a new short range communications protocol for wireless devices. Apple started working on the new standard after users complained about buggy Bluetooth performance on iOS devices.

"Here at Apple Inc, we love our users," said CEO Steve Jobs, "And when we realized how buggy Bluetooth was, we decided to help make things right by introducing our own proprietary standard. Trust me, Bluetooth is a big bag of hurt!"

Asked about claims that Bluetooth worked fine under iOS 3 and under, Jobs responded, calling those claims, "a total crock!"

COO Tim Cook noted that Bluetooth functionality would be disabled under all future revisions of iOS and its related devices through a future software update. "You want wireless device connectivity? You'll be able to buy ToothTime enabled accessories starting in Q4 of this year. Stay tuned, this protocol is something magical! No muffled calls, no dropped connections, only crystal clear sound and flawless data transfers."

Apple executives reportedly began sending out ToothTime license applications to its accessory partners earlier this week.

More on this fictional story as it develops...

Not funny - quite asinine actually. Grow up.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    rmfpdxrmfpdx Posts: 19member
    I've had zero problems with BT connections using my 3GS phone. Since I got the iPhone 4 and the new iOS 4 I have problems DAILY. In my 2009 Acura TL, the music will stop playing randomly whether I'm at home leaving the wifi spot or at the mall or anywhere else. I also find it drops intermittently or altogether when I'm wearing my wireless BT headphones when working out at the gym or working the yard. This is bizarre because it never happened before my upgrade. The sound quality also distinctly degrades randomly, which is very annoying. This is my 2nd iPhone 4, which I just got last week. I had to exchange my first one because it was shutting down randomly during calls (not powering down, but actually just going black and off instantly and couldn't restart it without numerous attempts to reboot, even when fully charged and/or connected to my Mac). I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having the bluetooth problem but there has got to be a fix.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

No problems with my iPhone 4 and my Samsung Bluetooth headset. Sorry for those that are having problems.

That being said, I just want a fix for this flippin' proximity sensor issue.

Are you saying you don't have connection problems, or not problems at all? I'm having problems when someone calls and I try to use my bluetooth headset. They can barely hear me. Extremely annoying. Back on my old 3G (not upgraded to 4.0 yet), it still works fine. At this point, I can't use my headset to talk on the phone. Terrible sound quality.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Can't say if it's WiFi related or not, just that in my situation, I've got BT, WiFi, 3G, location services all enabled and everything is fine.

When the iOS4 device drops a WiFi that it is connected too, for some reason it also barfs the bluetooth connection. I have been able to repeat the problem repeatedly by walking to the edge of my WiFi range and take a few steps in either direction, while using my BT earpiece.

Connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. Over and over, I almost have it down to where I know the exact line is in my neighbors lawn...

It will also happen when I connect or disconnect to any other WiFi access point. So say I drive past a cafe where I had connected to WiFi previously, when my phone connects to that WiFi then loses it again, it will disconnect my BT hands free in the car.

I too have word that it is iOS related, and not hardware - and that the fix is already on its way - just where the fix lands is unknown. But disabling WiFi makes the problem go away.

(Makes me wish Apple would implement a SBSettings like functionality to turn on/off WiFi, BT, and 3G).

You might not be experiencing a problem because you never are connected to WiFi and BT and then hit that "edge of the WiFi service" area while also using your BT device. (Maybe).
  • Reply 35 of 71
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    The only iOS4 problem that I've had on my iP4 was that I had to reset my voicemail password, two weeks after activating the phone. It worked fine at first. AT&T said it was a known iOS4 issue.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by payeco View Post

I recently got a new BMW and I have a bluetooth related problem with my iPhone 4. My car uses bluetooth for the phone and a dock connector to play music/control the ipod. When I answer a phone call and then end it music will no longer play when connected to the dock connector. I have to restart the phone to get music to start playing again.

EDIT: Thought I should add a little more clarity. The car stereo thinks it's playing music. I can move through the tracks, start playlists, etc. But I get no sound.

I have a 2008 BMW 650i. While I don't have any issues with Bluetooth dropping connections-- it actually works rather flawlessly-- I do have the same issue with taking a call while playing music. This is a new anomaly that started with the iPhone 4. I would assume, however, that this is actually an iOS 4 bug. This is brave new and very tangled world we live in. I've had various BMWs over the past eight years with Bluetooth phone integration into the car's onboard iDrive computer. Unfortunately, functionality often breaks when there is a software update. The thing that sucks is that it isn't always the phone's software update that is an issue. The car also gets occasional software updates. So now there are two moving targets-- the car OS and the phone OS.

By the way, regarding this current bug that occurs with BMW iDrive integration. You don't have to restart the phone to fix the problem. You just have to choose a different artist or playlist and the problem corrects itself..
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linkshot View Post

For real? Because that sounds like my problem exactly. That would be great news.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Sad but true. By the way they fixed a lot of bugs too, it's just that it added more than enough to make up the difference.

I don't use BlueTooth so I can't really comment on it. However iOS 4 has all the appearance of software that was rushed into production. No doubt that running iOS 4 on a 3G just makes the issues more visible. Then again some of the performance issues there are very likely due to bugs.

In a nut shell Apple needs to do better!!!

Dave
  • Reply 39 of 71
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flgator1 View Post

I have had zero issues with BT. I have a Lexus and a Jeep Warngler with built in BT support and it works as well if not better than my 3GS did with the old OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I have a Lexus and no problems with the bluetooth connection.

Maybe different car manufacturers' have different ways of finding a bluetooth device?

My father has a Lexus, his iPhone 3G with iOS4 seems to work fine. My mother's iPhone 3GS with iOS4 doesn't always hangup when ending a bluetooth call. (It might NEVER hangup, haven't tested).

When calling another mobile phone, the person she's calling hangs up and the call ends. Same when calling a landline - within 2 minutes the calling party is disconnected. So this works okay for her.

When calling work (a VoIP system) it doesn't seem to disconnect at all. We got a bill for a 2.5 hr phone call at $150 (the office closed 5 minutes after she started the call, and she never spends time on the phone). This has only happened once - perhaps it depends on whether the office VoIP was answered, hung up while still ringing, or went to voicemail.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You might not be experiencing a problem because you never are connected to WiFi and BT and then hit that "edge of the WiFi service" area while also using your BT device. (Maybe).

Thanks that explains it for my situation. I was in the company parking lot at the edge of my wifi range when I noticed it.