Apple warns of short-term iMac shortages ahead of new models - sources

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to the screen itself, please stick with the crisp high resolution IPS displays and ignore the whining from the idiots claim such eyes hurt their eyes or in some manner offends their senses. In this case I'm speaking from experience here, matte screens leave a lot to be desired. Your primary focus should be on more pixels and increasing dynamic range.

It's not whining, it's common sense. Reflections suck. It's too bad you ruined an otherwise good post with this comment. Experience, my a$$.
  • Reply 42 of 96
    james808james808 Posts: 73member
    Quote:

ignore the whining from the idiots claim such eyes hurt their eyes or in some manner offends their senses. In this case I'm speaking from experience here, matte screens leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks, I don't why I assumed my personal experience was valid with respect to matte vs glossy. Now I know better, I should just stop whining, enjoy the pain, and forget the ~10 years of using matte LCD screens without issue.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

How's this for a powerhouse dream iMac...

30" LED screen(matte optional)

3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7

32GB RAM maximum

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 dedicated GPU

512GB SSD system drive

2TB HDD

6 USB 3.0 ports

1 FW3200 port

Mini DisplayPort

eSata port

media card slot

gigabit ethernet port

optical audio i/o

BluRay Superdrive

Apple EXTENDED wireless keyboard with integrated MULTITOUCH TRACKPAD

wow you have used the word "port" way to much to make this a realistic Apple device. Also 6 USB Ports? Don't know how many the current one has but for me 2 are way sufficient. (Have my external harddrives connected to my Airport)

BluRay keep dreaming
  • Reply 44 of 96
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Where's the frick are the Mac Pros? This is getting ridiculous.

My last hope is SIGGRAPH next week. Certainly that would be the perfect timing for Apple to announce new Mac Pros!
  • Reply 45 of 96
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Quote:

32GB RAM maximum

512GB SSD system drive

2TB HDD

6 USB 3.0 ports

1 FW3200 port

Mini DisplayPort

eSata port

media card slot

gigabit ethernet port

optical audio i/o

BluRay Superdrive

Sure... for $4000.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I hate glossy screens. The best upgrade Apple could do here (and with everything they make that has a screen) is provide a matte screen option.

Agreed. I've bought 20 inch glossy after my first generation Core2Duo White iMac died and I hate it as much as I expected. :-( I want a matte option.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Finally it would be really nice to see LightPeak in the iMac. Copper interconnects like USB3 and FireWire have really hit a dead end. Gives us an iMac update that will have a future. It is not that the faster copper standards won't work, they do to some extent, it's just that you don't want to be buying peripheral hardware built around a deadens tech.

Uhh... USB 3 doesn't just use copper connecters - I believe it has a fibre component or something as well. The copper is there to carry power and provide the backwards compatiabilty to USB 2...

Other than that, I couldn't agree with you more on your other points.

I think some of the people whining about the non availability of matte displays need to remember the iMac is a consumer machine, and the panels in them aren't professional grade panels anyways. So stop asking for pro features in a consumer box, buy a mac pro and pair it with whatever screen you like - buy well, and the screen will probably outlast the computer anyways...
  • Reply 48 of 96
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    If Apple wants to make iMacs resemble the unibody MacBook Pro styling, then they should make iMacs with a removable back panel to enable easy access to the hard drive and optical drive.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    I guess the new glass-sandwich-with-aluminum-band iMac will have the power on/off switch as a small black strip on the lower-left corner
  • Reply 50 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Seconded. I can't buy an iMac until then. \

Triple that. No iMac without BTO matte. 2-3 iMacs right now with matte.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

If they could figure out how to make it look like a big iPhone that would be one sexy beast!

Isn't a new iMac all but guaranteed to look like a big iPad?
  • Reply 52 of 96
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyriX View Post

I think some of the people whining about the non availability of matte displays need to remember the iMac is a consumer machine, and the panels in them aren't professional grade panels anyways. So stop asking for pro features in a consumer box, buy a mac pro and pair it with whatever screen you like - buy well, and the screen will probably outlast the computer anyways...

So consumers aren't worthy of a display that doesn't cause excessive eye strain?

A display should last at least twice as long as the computer you buy with it. My kids' LCD has lasted 5 generations of Mac from quicksilver G4 to 2009 Intel mini.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

512GB SSD system drive

How much are you trying to make this sell for? You're already talking at least $1k for the monitor, another 1k for the cpu, $300 for the GPU and $1300 for the SSD. That's a $3600 system before taking anything else into consideration. Actually filling up with 32GB of RAM would add another few K as well heh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyriX View Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. Apple put a pro quality IPS display in the current iMac and has a quad core desktop i7 in it. At worst it is considered Pro-Sumer these days. If you don't need the expandability of the current Mac Pro, you can get a great monitor and a faster system for less by buying one of the top end iMacs.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

New iMacs already?

They're due. The Core 2 Duo is becoming quite dated.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Quote:

Also, what about the new iMac case being two pieces of black glass (front and back) with a band of aluminum sandwiched between like the iPhone 4?

In retrospect, it would have been better if the new iPhone had been aluminum unibody like the iMac or iPad than having a glass back, which has to be thicker than aluminum to be strong and which serves no purpose anyway.

The only justifiable reason for the iPhone having a glass back would have been if they had put the antenna inside the phone, because the signal could penetrate it more easily than metal. But, no, they had to put the antenna on the outside where any 10-year old who ever used a walkie-talkie could have told them the signal would be interfered with by touching it.

Although I waited expectantly for an iPhone 4, I have now decided to pass. It is the Vista of smartphones.
  • Reply 56 of 96
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

Although I waited expectantly for an iPhone 4, I have now decided to pass. It is the Vista of smartphones.

Too bad the people I know who own the iPhone4 don't know that!
  • Reply 57 of 96
    Nice.

I like the iMacs, I like the iPad, I like the iPhone.

Dear Steve,

Please update my Mac Pro!

Thanks
  • Reply 58 of 96
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

32GB RAM maximum

512GB SSD system drive

2TB HDD

6 USB 3.0 ports

1 FW3200 port

Mini DisplayPort

eSata port

media card slot

gigabit ethernet port

optical audio i/o

BluRay Superdrive

What have you been smoking?
  • Reply 59 of 96
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    What about our long dream that's slowly killed by apple, that of matte or better antiglare coatings....

What's it going to be apple, I can't handle glare one the iPad, how would I handle it on a 27" screen.

This is one of the disappointments of so many people that can't go away....
  • Reply 60 of 96
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Triple that. No iMac without BTO matte. 2-3 iMacs right now with matte.

Missed those post before I quadrupled above, why is apple so resistant to these, this is bar far the biggest let down of the whole ecosystem, innumerable iMacs are not sold because of this, us four alone could probably chalk about 50 from our purchase and those of friends and family.

And I am sorry to user wizard but that's some of the biggest garbage I ve heard recently.