Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until later this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.

The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?

Well, there certainly is an issue as Apple has admitted to in their press meeting.

However, over-blowing the issue as you are by calling it the GREATEST example of form over function in HISTORY is really showing your bias. Furthermore, it was a choice of one function (better reception) over another function (more attenuation) as the respectable Anandtech.com has shown in their independent testing. And I'm getting very tired of the meme that Apple always sacrifices one for the other. Form is a PART of function and both are important in design, you don't separate them into two teams that compete for attention.

Also, do you have any actual proof for Steve ignoring his engineers beyond that article by Bloomberg that had no attributed sources? Pretty easy to put out rumors without any facts people can check.

So please stop calling others names in an attempt to dismiss their opinions, while overstating your case with hyperbole. I've been fine with my iPhone 4 overall. I've had more problems with the other phones I've owned. If your experience has been so bad (I'm hoping that you are speaking as an actual user and not just repeating others opinions) by all means return it.
  • Reply 22 of 223
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is this; once you have 3G on an iPhone it is extremely hard to consider going back to dumb phones. Stay on dumb phones as long as you can, your wallet will love you for it. Plus white devices get really ugly pretty fast.

Besides if they really get FaceTime running on the pods they will be a limited but useful communications device all on their own.

On the otherhand iPhone 4 is a very nice phone with great 3G performance.

I know, seriously. I don't even have texting on my phone, just the basic lowest minutes plan which I only use around 30 minutes on a month. White devices, while normally I would agree with you get ugly fast (like the white MacBook), I'd have to disagree in regards to the iPhone 4. It's glass, the same as the black, just with white paint underneath instead of black. That means it shouldn't show scratches/discoloration/cracks any more than the black one would.

Facetime would be terrific, and I'd really appreciate it, but the 5mp camera is the big thing I'm wanting in the new iPod Touch. I would like to see the new case design (I've got a hunch it won't be exactly like the iPhone 4, but will still be radically different than the current one), but the camera is most important to me. I'd love to actually have a decent camera on me at all times, without having to carry around my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, which weighs 9 ounces and is pretty large.

And yes, always-connected data is the other big reason I'd like an iPhone. But the $15 extra a month would be "luxury" blown, as I'm in school trying to pay the bills as it is. $32,000 a year is not easy to come by when you're only working 3 months a year.

Ach, I'll probably stick with the iPod Touch/dumbphone deal.

(Apple, you make the iPod Touch too good...)
  • Reply 23 of 223
    aervaerv Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think it was released to GNN (Gizmodo News Network) by "A Reliable Source". No really, this is all very legit. Nothing to see here, and you should especially ignore the man behind that curtain pressing those buttons. Now, move along.

why would apple release to gizmodo? I'm pretty sure it was PR newswire

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-99096524.html

anyway this still is really bad news I really want the white iPhone
  • Reply 24 of 223
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I don't understand why Apple is bothering with a white iPhone. Who cares? Just drop the stupid thing and move on.

They could have just not planned a white one, and no one would have ever cared. But after announcing it, plenty of people are salivating for it. They have to deliver even if it takes awhile. Otherwise it will look like Apple is inept and can't deliver based on something minor like a special color.

I think that one of two things happened...

1. Steve saw the first prototype white iphone and fell in love with it. He knew people would go crazy for it because it was different and cause a stir. But the first units coming off the assembly line didn't meet his expectations and either looked a bit dull compared to the black phone or not quite the right shade of white. So it is on hold until they can get it right.

or...

2. Maybe they did decide to put it on hold for antenna research. If they can correct the antenna issue now or at least improve it for the white phone they can eliminate bad press and show everyone they can come up with a big fix when things go wrong. Why ship and sell another 5-10 million phones worldwide with the issue if they can help it by delaying. AND, they never have to announce a recall or have another press conference. You know they have a big warehouse full of white iPhones that will be reconditioned and sold after they find a fix. It's not like they were heading into shipping this phone without a huge stockpile of inventory.
  • Reply 25 of 223
    Quote:

And another apologist rears his ugly head...

Go have another glass of Apple Juice and squeeze your black iPhone 4.

Dude, there's nothing wrong with a difference of opinion and some good discussion. There is something wrong with dissing anything that you feel is below your self and refusing to believe that sometimes things happen, people can be wrong, and we all deal with each other anyway. Seriously. Take a break and check out the sunshine. Clouds don't last forever.
  • Reply 26 of 223
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Weird.

Apple can produce (and ship) a super high quality phone but can't get white paint to be properly applied on glass.

Just does not make sense to me?

Well, picked up a 2nd phone for the wife yesterday. She sort of prefered the white but I talked her out of it about a week ago.

Glad I did now.
  • Reply 27 of 223
    eur500eur500 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

I wish you were in the room with me so I could smack some sense into you.

You wouldn't last a second in a room with me, let alone get to smack me little man!

What a jolly life you must lead, smacking anyone who does not agree with you, why not get out of your room a bit more and see all the happy peeps happily using their iPhones, clearly you do not have one, the doctor orders a trip down to your nearest Apple Store! Be Happy
  • Reply 28 of 223
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.

The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?

Why are we talking about the antenna, when this is a discussion about the white iPhone?
  • Reply 29 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ?500 View Post

You wouldn't last a second in a room with me, let alone get to smack me little man!

What a jolly life you must lead, smacking anyone who does not agree with you, why not get out of your room a bit more and see all the happy peeps happily using their iPhones, clearly you do not have one, the doctor orders a trip down to your nearest Apple Store! Be Happy

Amen. This.
  • Reply 30 of 223
    Quote:

And another apologist rears his ugly head. I love you Apple fanbois. The antenna issue was so bad it was world headlines for weeks, surpassing the BP oil spill. A US senator got involved, satire cartoons filled the newspapers, and the world trembled on the brink. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that a mass recall was the only way to save Apple.

So what happened? Darth Jobs got up on stage and told you the phone was fine and the entire freaking planet just forgot the whole thing.

And now by your post, and the one I responded to, I take it no one is allowed to even mention the antenna issue. "Just get a case" or "I don't make phone calls cause I have no friends" is the answer to everything.

Gawd, I can't stand you freaking fanbois. I wish you were in the room with me so I could smack some sense into you. This company is so off the deep end, they can't even make a white phone without getting into trouble. ANY other company screws up like this would have shareholders demanding resignations. But not Apple. They are not a company, they are your best friends, right geeks?

Go have another glass of Apple Juice and squeeze your black iPhone 4.

Worse than the BP oil spill? Mass recall only way to save Apple? World trembling on the brink? Do you even HEAR yourself? How about some freaking perspective?

And maybe... people hear just don't want to hear others spouting off about the antenna while disregarding the facts we already know. After all, we've been reading such opinions and been blasted with them for over a week.

You wanna, have a DISCUSSION? Try not putting everyone who disagrees with you in one camp and label them as deluded. Try sticking to facts and not going off the deep end where even people who would otherwise agree with you, won't follow.

I think if there is some sense-smacking with a clue-bat going on, you could use a few whacks yourself. Physician heal thyself.
  • Reply 31 of 223
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Weird.

Apple can produce (and ship) a super high quality phone but can't get white paint to be properly applied on glass.

Just does not make sense to me?

Well, picked up a 2nd phone for the wife yesterday. She sort of prefered the white but I talked her out of it about a week ago.

Glad I did now.

Honestly...

If a white 'iPhone4' is so imperative, just go to DecalGirl or UltimateSkins and order a skin... Done, and protected to boot!
  • Reply 32 of 223
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    All of this iPhone 4 launch is starting to feel more and more like a Microsoft product launch. Issues popping up every week as a result of sloppiness and unpreparedness. And still it has been a huge success, Apple has sold over 3 million iPhones. It's scary to think what the numbers would be if they had both the white and black versions available at the same time, and without any antenna issues, and on a better network.
  • Reply 33 of 223
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Why are we talking about the antenna, when this is a discussion about the white iPhone?

Because some people think 0.55% is worth mentioning at every possible moment to blow the issue out of proportion and lower iPhone 4 sales.
  • Reply 34 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aerv View Post

why would apple release to gizmodo? I'm pretty sure it was PR newswire

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-99096524.html

anyway this still is really bad news I really want the white iPhone

Did you really not understand I was joking? Really?? I mean there is no such thing as GNN. And I made silly references/ There wasn't one serious thing in my post. Not even close.
  • Reply 35 of 223
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Because some people think 0.55% is worth mentioning at every possible moment to blow the issue out of proportion and lower iPhone 4 sales.

Could be.... but sales are not slowing down. So they can stop all the hatred and just accept the facts.... people like the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 36 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I don't understand why Apple is bothering with a white iPhone. Who cares? Just drop the stupid thing and move on.

So if Lord Jobs says you can't have one then you automatically don't want one now? Gulp gulp.
  • Reply 37 of 223
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 38 of 223
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think that one of two things happened...

1. Steve saw the first prototype white iphone and fell in love with it. He knew people would go crazy for it because it was different and cause a stir. But the first units coming off the assembly line didn't meet his expectations and either looked a bit dull compared to the black phone or not quite the right shade of white.

From the little experience I have dealing with paints and stains, I'm almost sure the problem is white pigment is not as opaque as black so at the lower end of the black iPhone's normal mfg. variance for paint thickness, the white iPhones are coming out translucent. Apple probably tried adjusting the paint thickness up for the white iPhone but then at the upper end of the new normal variance, the paint is now coming out too thick for the digitizer overlay. So they're either looking for white pigment that is more opaque, or painting machines that exhibit less thickness variance. In all likelihood, neither one exists at the moment.

Heh, so much effort poured into describing a scenario that can never be verified.
  • Reply 39 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

From the little experience I have dealing with paints and stains, I'm almost sure the problem is white pigment is not as opaque as black so at the lower end of the black iPhone's normal mfg. variance for paint thickness, the white iPhones are coming out translucent. Apple probably tried adjusting the paint thickness up for the white iPhone but then at the upper end of the new normal variance, the paint is now coming out too thick for the digitizer overlay. So they're either looking for white pigment that is more opaque, or painting machines that exhibit less thickness variance. In all likelihood, neither one exists at the moment.

Heh, so much effort poured into describing a scenario that can never be verified.

Totally true, and yet 99% of AppleInsider's lifeblood. Without the varying flavors and intensity of speculation around here, this discussion board would be a ghost town.

• Reply 40 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Going off topic is expected here. But to answer your question, someone earlier suggested that a white iPhone might be delayed because a redesigned antenna is forthcoming. And that person was jumped on by someone who said there was nothing wrong with the antenna and had statistics to back it up.

I found it amusing that the tone of the forum went from "the antenna is a big problem to no problem at all" after the Jobs press conference. I tried to point that out and was accused of vomiting on another poster. While it may be true about the vomit, I felt like I had stuck a fanboi nerve and wanted to explore that.

If you have been here longer than five minutes, you know that nearly every thread regarding the iPhone and iPad descends into madness.

That's why I prefer discussing the Mac. I find those threads informative, like the one where the iMac has a better than hi def display but can't play content above 720P. Didn't know about that.

I think these iPhone threads are made up mostly of kool aid drinking teenagers who spend most of their time texting while crossing the hiway instead of using their phone to make calls. That's the only reason I can come up with why no one cares if they can't hold a call.