AT&T reveals 400K-500K of US iPad 3G activated in first 2 months

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple this week declined to give a breakdown on Wi-Fi-only vs. 3G-capable iPad sales, but AT&T provided some insight when the wireless carrier revealed it activated between 400,000 and 500,000 last quarter, and reiterated its popularity with enterprise customers.

AT&T Chief Financial Officer Rick Linder, on his company's quarterly earnings conference call Thursday, announced the number, which applies only to U.S. sales. The 3G iPad launched in the U.S. in late April, while the international launch occurred a month later.

"One thing that's been encouraging and a bit surprising so far is the level of interest from business customers," Linder revealed. "...Right from the beginning with the iPad, we've had a number of our business customers express interest. A number of them have trials going on."

He continued: "Businesses see the opportunity in many cases to use the iPad potentially in place of laptops for many of their people that travel."

That falls in line with what Apple said this week regarding fast iPad enterprise adoption. In its own quarterly earnings call on Tuesday, the Cupertino, Calif., company said that more than 50 percent of Fortune 100 companies are deploying or testing the iPad in only its first three months of availability. The Wi-Fi-only model launched nearly a month before the 3G-capable hardware.

Apple sold 3.27 million iPads in the device's first three months, and likely would have sold more if production could have kept up with demand. Company executives have said they do not know when they will be able to meet that demand, as they are currently selling every iPad they can make.

Linder said that corporate adoption of the iPad has come more quickly than it did with the iPhone. Though Apple's smartphone took more time, it is now at use in more than 80 percent of Fortune 100 companies.

"When we first introduced the iPhone, the businesses -- and in particular the CIOs (of)... our business customers -- were reluctant, and they kind of pushed back on bringing the iPhone into their infrastructure," he said. "And over time, that -- as you know -- has changed dramatically, and now we have businesses that are developing applications and putting their own applications and content down on the iPhone base within their companies."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    On Sunday June 6th, only one month after I received my 3G iPad on May 5th, I was forced to begin paying AT&T $30 a month in order to grandfather in their unlimited data plan for iPads that they killed on Monday June 7th. What a bait and switch scam.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

On Sunday June 6th, only one month after I received my 3G iPad on May 5th, I was forced to begin paying AT&T $30 a month in order to grandfather in their unlimited data plan for iPads that they killed on Monday June 7th. What a bait and switch scam.

Be pleased that you are among the members of an esteemed class action lawsuit. Sit back and let the lawyers profit!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Be pleased that you are among the members of an esteemed class action lawsuit. Sit back and let the lawyers profit!

I totally agree - class action law suits benefit no-one but the lawyers!

Fun* read on the topic: John Grisham: The King of Torts - exposes the boundless greed and lack of any morals behind class action lawsuits.

Regarding adoption in enterprise - I am quite confident that Apple sticking with the iPhone OS (iOS) for the iPad, was brilliant. Many enterprise took their time to get familiar with iOS, and now with a new device with the essentially the same OS, the IT eval process is/was minimal if at all required. And good corporate IT departments, I believe, take approving new software to be used within the enterprise quite seriously.

In other words, the iPad was placed on an already well paved road into corporate enterprise; paved by iPhone over the past several years. SO all those who complain that the iPad is just a big iPhone without telephone capabilities, yes that is exactly it's brilliance and foundation of success!

* and disturbing
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Considering how difficult it has been to even SEE an iPad 3G in a store, that activation number would likely be a lot higher with better availability. I made at least a dozen attempts to find one in a local store before I finally ordered from Apple Store Online.

At least for early adopter use, I certainly made the right choice in getting the 3G. In any given 2 hour period of WiFi use, I would lose connection and be forced to re-enter the password 8 times. And that was with full signal strength. Having 3G meant I didn't actually lose network access.

All fixed now, though. Since the iOS update, I have NOT lost WiFi sync even once.

The biggest problem I have with the iPad now is putting it down!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Do you really use that much data? I held off on activating my 3G until I really needed it the first time. At that point I went back to check how much data I'd used, and it was less than the cheaper plan. I'd expected to be in the gigabyte range but had been using a lot less than I'd thought. I suspect most people are going to save money under AT&T's new offerings.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Bait and Switch? If you don't know what a term means don't use it. If you think it makes you appear knowledgeable and sophisticated you are wrong. You just put on the clown face - or maybe it is your face.\
  • Reply 7 of 10
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Do you really use that much data? I held off on activating my 3G until I really needed it the first time. At that point I went back to check how much data I'd used, and it was less than the cheaper plan. I'd expected to be in the gigabyte range but had been using a lot less than I'd thought. I suspect most people are going to save money under AT&T's new offerings.

While I generally agree, the problem is it was sold as being able to change at any time. One month I might just need 3G for incidentals, and another month I might be on the road for two weeks and use it as a substitute for hotel WiFi.

I can use my 250MB in 6 days of very heavy web, e-mail, and map use-- no streaming audio or video. Incidental use throughout an average month is about 100MB, so it is pretty hard for *me* to picture using more than 2GB in a month.

BUT... if you have an iPhone/Blackberry/Android already, and the iPad is supplementing that, for the price of 2GB it really should be unlimited.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

While I generally agree, the problem is it was sold as being able to change at any time. One month I might just need 3G for incidentals, and another month I might be on the road for two weeks and use it as a substitute for hotel WiFi.

I can use my 250MB in 6 days of very heavy web, e-mail, and map use-- no streaming audio or video. Incidental use throughout an average month is about 100MB, so it is pretty hard for *me* to picture using more than 2GB in a month.

BUT... if you have an iPhone/Blackberry/Android already, and the iPad is supplementing that, for the price of 2GB it really should be unlimited.

Since there is no contract there is no requirement for AT&T to keep their plans constant for forever. Im sure there was the typical comment on Apple and AT&T?s website that stated ?prices and plans may change?.

The original iPhone was advertised by Apple in the same way as the iPad 3G with a $20 unlimited data plan, but can you still get that today? I don?t think so. Sure, it? been a few years, but that is another argument about a time limitations before you can change a non-contractual plan. Is there one? I don? think so.

i can see a class action coming out of this and winning as it makes AT&T look bad, and that?s bad for business, but it?s also a risk we all take when we don?t get written lock-ins for prices and services.

Because cellular activation was not needed for this device at time of purchase (I think) the return policy was only 14 days. The iPad 3G hit stores on April 30th and the data services changes were announced on June 2nd. Sure, the people that had those plans before could maintain them, but that can become costly. I think they should have extended the return policy for those who bought the iPad 3G before June 2nd and -or- allowed those devices already bought to get the 250MB for $15 and Unlimited Data for $30 deal for a full year.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Businesses gotta dig the closed down eco system for the same reason I do: all the apps are screened not to be malicious, they work, they don't crash the device and work as advertised.

Some guy can write an android app that can steals personal information, since the apps are not screened and for a business that could be very costly. Plus updates for iPhone are a lot easier to install then android.

WinMo just sucks for now, and may die if WinMo7 is a failure.

As far as blackberry is concerned they are doing well on momentum, and their blackberry 6 might be OK, but that remains to be seen.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Nobody "forced" you. You weren't required to sign a contract, and AT&T started out allowing 3G customers to switch up and down as much as they wanted from month-to-month between the 250MB and the unlimited plans. Customers can still switch from month-to-month between the 250MB and 2GB plans. AT&T hasn't kicked off the people who were on the unlimited plan and want to stay on. Now it's a one-way door for unlimited users, though. Switch away from unlimited and you won't be able to return.

Just as you weren't required to sign a contract. AT&T doesn't have a contract to abide by, either. They can pretty much do what they want. So far they've behaved a lot better than most cable companies as far as rates are concerned. Unless you signed up for a limited time guaranteed cable deal recently, just compare your latest cable bill to a year ago and see how much more you're getting hosed.

If you run out of AT&T 3G account monthly headroom, go find a McDonald's, a public library, a coffee house or other freebie WiFi hotspot.

Finally, the AT&T price for iPad 3G service is competitive to say the least. For devices that can use a CLEAR nationwide 3G + 4G wireless plan, you'll fork out $55/month for unlimited downloads, plus if you go month-to-month you'll get hit for a $20 setup fee and the cost of any equipment on your end. Sign a two-year contract and you can get the setup waived and a USB WiMAX portable modem thrown in, but you'll be open to stiff penalties for early termination.

You've still got it pretty good on your AT&T plan. In other words, quichurbellyachin.