Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until later this year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    It is a good thing that Henry Ford didn't have the internet to contend with.

Based on the some of the things said here, we would still be in the horse and buggy age if everybody waited for a T in white.

But then, what more can we expect in America. Here you have a President that most of the world would love to have leading them. But unfortunately gets dissed only because he is unavailable in white.
  • Reply 82 of 223
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I hope the "white pigment or substance" used is fused with the glass during the manufacture to create a "white glass" and not just a superficial thin layer of white paint.

I state "white pigment or substance" because the coloration in "colored glasses" need not come from the standard paint that we are familiar with.

If the process uses paint, the difference in thermal properties of glass and paint (cellphones do get hot) may lead to cracking or peeling of the layer of the paint.

I was also surprised when I read it was paint. There are however all kinds of very high-tech paints that can withstand heat so that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 83 of 223
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

And yes, I do think everyone here is deluded, while I am completely normal.

And so you came here with the goal to save everyone from their delusions, and make them normal?

Or, what is it you are trying to achieve -- considering the tone and content of your posts?

CGC
  • Reply 84 of 223
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Might be stupid to you, but not to my wife....\

I always knew your were smart. But now I see genius.
  • Reply 85 of 223
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is a good thing that Henry Ford didn't have the internet to contend with.

Based on the some of the things said here, we would still be in the horse and buggy age if everybody waited for a T in white.

But then, what more can we expect in America. Here you have a President that most of the world would love to have leading them. But unfortunately gets dissed only because he is unavailable in white.

Wow. That last paragraph...
  • Reply 86 of 223
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stefanous View Post

I don't think it's been blow out of proportion at all. In fact, I think there's a reason why so many people are talking about it. And the 0.55% number is a misconception because it refers to only the people that complained who had AppleCare, which many people do not have.

Do you really think Apple would give out free cases to every iPhone owner just because 0.55% of people with iPhone 4's are having problems? That doesn't make much sense to me - that's why people are having feelings that Apple goofed up with the antenna. I think if it wasn't a huge issue, then Apple would have just given out free cases to people that came into the store and complained if it really was only 0.55% of iPhone 4 users.

Do you actually know the meaning of percent? As a reminder it is used to visualize data in a normalized form. Meaning:

All AppleCare iPhone 4 costumers = 100.00%

antenna problems for AC costumers = 0.55%

Since quite a substantial number of people use AppleCare with their iPhone, this should be enough to be representative.
  • Reply 87 of 223
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

iPhone 4, 32GB = $299 upfront + $360 ($15/mo x 24mo) = $659

iPod Touch 4, 32GB = $299 upfront

Difference = $360

2 devices isn't hard for me, and 98% of the time I have WiFi at home, work, and school.

Shoot. I just talked myself out of an iPhone.

I think the difference is more than you think. You quoted $15 a month for 24 months, but where are you getting this $15 from? That only covers the minimum data plan.

In the US you are going to spend $15 for data (minimum) and $40 for voice (minimum). So if you forgo a texting plan to save some money, and after they add in a bunch of fees, you are really looking at maybe $65 a month at 24 months. So more like $1560 for the usage for 2 years, plus $300 for the phone, grand total $1860.

So the difference then between the phone and the pod is over $1500 clams.
  • Reply 88 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Might be stupid to you, but not to my wife....\

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I always knew your were smart. But now I see genius.

Yeah, that about describes man's interactions with women. It's never important until it "just is..."
  • Reply 89 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think the difference is more than you think. You quoted $15 a month for 24 months, but where are you getting this $15 from? That only covers the minimum data plan.

In the US you are going to spend $15 for data (minimum) and $40 for voice (minimum). So if you forgo a texting plan to save some money, and after they add in a bunch of fees, you are really looking at maybe $65 a month at 24 months. So more like $1560 for the usage for 2 years, plus $300 for the phone, grand total $1860.

So the difference then between the phone and the pod is over $1500 clams.

I'm already paying for a cell phone. The Verizon and AT&T plans cost the same for voice for me. The only addition would then be the data plan = $15

Sorry I didn't clear that up in the beginning.
  • Reply 90 of 223
    Mmh......... Maybe foxxcon is having some trouble
  • Reply 91 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.

The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?

It tells me techstud is back here under yet another alias. Bleh.
  • Reply 92 of 223
    This is a really slow news day...
  • Reply 93 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You mean the information given at the event wasn't completely honest and transparent? That it would be foolish for people to simply accept what was said as gospel truth? Shocking.

I doubt very much that SJ would have made a point of saying they would be available by the end of the month if he had any thought that they would not. He's not stupid, and there's no point in him being anything but honest and transparent on this issue. More likely, they ran into further problems, or the problems turned out to be more difficult to overcome than was realized at that time. It's a bit ridiculous to suggest he wasn't being honest when he made that statement; suggesting that they somehow thought it would be best to say they would be ready when they knew they would not.
  • Reply 94 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

Mmh......... Maybe foxxcon is having some trouble

O my goodness. Your website (the one in your sig) is the worst I've seen in years, giosaccone. I see you're using MobileMe to host it, but maybe you should take a look at using iWeb? Clean that up a bit.
  • Reply 95 of 223
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It tells me techstud is back here under yet another alias. Bleh.

Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time.
  • Reply 96 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Is this because no one can buy the white ones?

and because the last white ones they made looked lame since they had black fronts.
  • Reply 97 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time.

Lol, those were the days.

He makes everyone else look like amateurs.
  • Reply 98 of 223
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'm already paying for a cell phone. The Verizon and AT&T plans cost the same for voice for me. The only addition would then be the data plan = $15

Sorry I didn't clear that up in the beginning.

No worries. I just wanted to make sure you had all the pertinent info to decide.

Of course even with the added data expense over a dumb phone, I still recommend abandoning the iPod plan and opting for the iPhone. I loved my original iPhone, and love my 3Gs, and someday will love my iPhone 4.5, or 5 (whichever is next for me). I would hate having a non-iPhone and an iPod when I can have both in one device. It is so worth the data plan.
  • Reply 99 of 223
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Touché! Priceless...
  • Reply 100 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Why should they reengineer the antenna system?? 99.45% of users are OK with the antenna as it is. So apple is not likely to go through such useless efforts and generate probably antennas with less overall reception quality.

Agreed, but I have to believe their engineers are working on something. Apple is known for 'perfection!'

Best