Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until later this year

Comments

• Reply 101 of 223
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Lol, those were the days.

He makes everyone else look like amateurs.

In a weird way, he was entertaining.
  • Reply 102 of 223
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday announced that it still has had difficulty in manufacturing the white version of its iPhone 4, and the product will not be available until "later this year."

Man, what a friggin blunder! C'mon Steve, we know that you can do better for us!

Its really too bad that Apple has to rely on any third parties for this stuff. They screw up, and Apple looks bad.
  • Reply 103 of 223
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was also surprised when I read it was paint. There are however all kinds of very high-tech paints that can withstand heat so that shouldn't be a problem.

Have you seen (or are aware of) high-tech paints used with glass, as a thin layer of paint? I have not encountered it yet.

I am more familiar with the use of high-tech paints with metals, but even there, another bonding material is usually used. With plastics, the coloring resin or substance is fused or mixed usually during manufacture of the raw plastic material before molding.

I just hope Apple's manufacturers are doing extensive "accelerated aging" quality tests if the process indeed uses a simple thin layer paint.

CGC
  • Reply 104 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aerv View Post

Where did apple say that it won't come out till later this year?

"White models of Apple's new iPhone 4 have continued to be more challenging to manufacture than we originally expected, and as a result they will not be available until later this year," the company said in a statement on Friday.

They said it in a statement on Friday.
  • Reply 105 of 223
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Similar to the friend you love to hate, and miss when they're gone?
  • Reply 106 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

"White models of Apple's new iPhone 4 have continued to be more challenging to manufacture than we originally expected, and as a result they will not be available until later this year," the company said in a statement on Friday.

They said it in a statement on Friday.

rotfl
  • Reply 107 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

They'll be available in November just in time to create adequate hype and boost holiday sales.

But by then there will be another half-dozen Android "iPhone Killers" out there
  • Reply 108 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

He's still with us...

Quote:

Man, what a friggin blunder! C'mon Steve, we know that you can do better for us!

Its really too bad that Apple has to rely on any third parties for this stuff. They screw up, and Apple looks bad.

• Reply 109 of 223
    Quote:

The iPhone is your worst nightmare. You can't kill it. And if you insist on it being killed, over and over again, its ghost will haunt you forever, and you will always live in its shadow.

MWAH-hah-hah-ha
  • Reply 110 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

(as this does not affect even close to 10% of all iPhones 4)

It is not even close to 10%. Only 0.45% are affected. The media has blown the whole thing up, but in reality, it is not even a real problem. It may as well not even exist, because pretty much nobody even knows about it except the haters who won't STFU.
  • Reply 111 of 223
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, but I have to believe their engineers are working on something. Apple is known for 'perfection!'

Best

I am sure they are. I don't think they have their 100Mio$ test facilities standing around unused. I just don't think the delay of the white iPhone has any thing in particular to do with antennas.

Something very good can always be made better. As apple has taught us again and again.
  • Reply 112 of 223
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.

The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?

Not apologists, just people who have things in perspective. I'm a left handed iPhone 4 user, I don't experience this 'issue' - nor does anyone I know. I don't need to apologise on behalf of a company who have delivered me not only a damn near perfect phone, but also the biggest selling single model of cell-phone of all time.

What's to apologise for? And what is your source for the last sentence "The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway." Pure fiction.

"And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?"

That they'll do whatever it takes to keep their customers happy, irrespective of their views about the importance of this 'issue'. Not many companies out there that act in the same way.
  • Reply 113 of 223
    Quote:

And another apologist rears his ugly head. I love you Apple fanbois. The antenna issue was so bad it was world headlines for weeks, surpassing the BP oil spill. A US senator got involved, satire cartoons filled the newspapers, and the world trembled on the brink. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that a mass recall was the only way to save Apple.

So what happened? Darth Jobs got up on stage and told you the phone was fine and the entire freaking planet just forgot the whole thing.

And now by your post, and the one I responded to, I take it no one is allowed to even mention the antenna issue. "Just get a case" or "I don't make phone calls cause I have no friends" is the answer to everything.

Gawd, I can't stand you freaking fanbois. I wish you were in the room with me so I could smack some sense into you. This company is so off the deep end, they can't even make a white phone without getting into trouble. ANY other company screws up like this would have shareholders demanding resignations. But not Apple. They are not a company, they are your best friends, right geeks?

Go have another glass of Apple Juice and squeeze your black iPhone 4.

hahahahaha, blackintosh-smackintosh, you're so funny. If nothing else, your fodder only feeds our kilns. But seriously, it was nice having you around. Why do you even bother with making no sense at all? It's really quite unbecoming... I was wondering though, do you normally going around smacking people across the head who do not agree with you? That's seems a bit drastic to me. Maybe you should work on your anger problems and then come back and act like an adult. Maybe just maybe someone will at least listen to your unintelligible rambling. Just a thought. Have a nice day!
  • Reply 114 of 223
    Quote:

They are not a company, they are your best friends, right geeks?

Not really best friends, more like your wonderful rich Uncle who always has the coolest stuff and you want to be just like him and you introduce him to all of your friends and everyone is jealous of you.
  • Reply 115 of 223
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Yeah I actually would have preferred the white one this time. But will go for the black one as well. Who knows whether it will be produced at all.

The point is, white is not just any color. It is on transparent materials probably the most difficult color to apply..

That opens up the question of why Apple doesn't produce a slew of colors besides white & black. They've done it with the original iMacs and with all recent iPods (except the Touch). Why not produce a cherry red iPhone, a Bondi blue iPhone, etc? I'm not really grokking why iPhones have to be like Model T Fords, "You can have any color you want as long as it's black".

-Kurt
  • Reply 116 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macadamias View Post

Form is a PART of function and both are important in design, you don't separate them into two teams that compete for attention.

I think that Apple may be embarking on a new era where function follows form. This might be the greatest turning point in design history - likely this is where Jony will REALLY make his mark.

Just look at the new Mac Mini. It is beautiful, but there was no room in the case for BluRay.

Look at the iP4 - They wanted more battery life, so they put the antenna on the outside.

Jony is going to go down in history for this.
  • Reply 117 of 223
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Is this like how every MMO that comes out is hailed as a WoW killer, then fails to even get a million subscribers?

Quote:

Just look at the new Mac Mini. It is beautiful, but there was no room in the case for BluRay.

How do you figure that? There is already an optical drive in the Mini. They don't have Blu Ray b/c Steve doesn't want there to be Blu Ray. End of story
  • Reply 118 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Good ADVICE!
  • Reply 119 of 223
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

That opens up the question of why Apple doesn't produce a slew of colors besides white & black. They've done it with the original iMacs and with all recent iPods (except the Touch). Why not produce a cherry red iPhone, a Bondi blue iPhone, etc? I'm not really grokking why iPhones have to be like Model T Fords, "You can have any color you want as long as it's black".

-Kurt

Hmmm.... I don't really get it either. Black works for me anyway. And there will be enough people whose mobile contracts end only by the end of the year.They will be happy to have something exclusive.
  • Reply 120 of 223
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Good ADVICE!

Ever seen any evil from ivan.rnn01?