Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until later this year

Comments

• Reply 161 of 223
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.

The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that the pyramids of egypt may, in fact, be the biggest examples of form (damn huge, gorgeous monument) over function (place to stick dead people) in history

(I completely agree with you, that was just the first thought that came to mind reading your comment )
  • Reply 162 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Why should they reengineer the antenna system?? 99.45% of users are OK with the antenna as it is. So apple is not likely to go through such useless efforts and generate probably antennas with less overall reception quality.

According to Правда.
  • Reply 163 of 223
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Exactly! I sent my 3GS to Colorware, and the results are absolutely gorgeous! For the iPhone4, it should have the added benefit of fixing the antenna problem that doesn't exist.

But the face of the phone would still be black
  • Reply 164 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It ran into issues. A week before launch. And they had no idea at all that it might be an issue, just one week earlier. You must really think they are incompetent. One week before launch and they just realized they have a problem with the hundreds of thousands or millions of units they have already produced.

What's the angle for not disclosing it a week ago? Already explained. It would be a major buzz kill to the image Jobs carefully crafted for consumption last week. Admitting to a major, weeks or months long delay due to manufacturing problems would seriously run counter to their sales pitch that there isn't any manufacturing/design problems with the iPhone.

The suggestion that they were taken unaware and had no idea just 7 days ago and two weeks before launch, is even more stupid than the suggestion that they were stunned and surprised that their bars algorithm over stated the signal strength (you know, the algorithm they released 2 years ago who's only change was to purposely overstate the signal strength). Who would reasonably buy either of those assertions? Only someone who believes Apple has no idea what they are doing and merely guessing at what they produce.

And just when I was starting to think maybe you were a rational being. Oh well.
  • Reply 165 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that the pyramids of egypt may, in fact, be the biggest examples of form (damn huge, gorgeous monument) over function (place to stick dead people) in history

WTF!? Are you denying the existence of pyramid power?!

EDIT:
  • Reply 166 of 223
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Why are we talking about the antenna, when this is a discussion about the white iPhone?

Because the douchebags won't let it go.
  • Reply 167 of 223
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

WOW!! The most sophisticated post I have seen for a long time. You are bringing this whole discussion to higher philosophy. I hope to read more of your posts here. very insightful.

They were not my words. I was just reinforcing the statement of a previous poster.

I am not an architect but I read about and observed the traditional (organic) architecture and design of a number countries, and you will find that the form indeed is part integral of function.

CGC
  • Reply 168 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why should they reengineer the antenna system?? 99.45% of users are OK with the antenna as it is. So apple is not likely to go through such useless efforts and generate probably antennas with less overall reception quality.

Let?s break it down: He?s suggesting that they aren?t shipping white iPhone 4s because they are reengineering the iPhone, but he ignores the fact they are still shipping hundred-of-thousands black iPhone 4s per week, with 75(?) more countries coming onboard before the (current) free Bumper give away is over on September 30th, and likely before the White iPhone 4 will be ready to ship.

In other words: If they were holding the iPhone 4 back because they are reengineering it then why are the still the black ones. The colour of the glass isn?t going affect the attenuation issue.
  • Reply 169 of 223
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You really think it took until the end of July for them to realize they had an issue? Really?

The Antennagate thing just showed up 22 days before the Press Release by Steve. He said so more than once.

So yes, they probably just found out about the white paint a day or two ago.
  • Reply 170 of 223
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

And now by your post, and the one I responded to, I take it no one is allowed to even mention the antenna issue. "Just get a case" or "I don't make phone calls cause I have no friends" is the answer to everything.

Gawd, I can't stand you freaking fanbois....

How is this for a possible alternative? Inform us that you own or owned an iPhone4 and the antenna issue was a matter of actual concern to you. One thing I can't stand are all the individuals with strident opinions but no actual interest. You know, people who never have and never intend to purchase an Apple product but have an irrepressible need to pontificate.

Jehovah Witnesses come to my door from time to time promoting their faith and frankly I am not interested in their spiel. I think they are the fanatics. Similarly I find diatribes from people about devices they don't seem to have ever owned or used to be less than useless. That is why I find the "plonk" capability of this forum software so useful.
  • Reply 171 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is actually a typical Apple kind of problem/story. The entire production of a best-selling phone is delayed for months because the white paint isn't the *exact* perfect shade of white.

If it was HTC they would use whatever the cheapest white pain was and not care about the exact shade.

But when Apple gets it right, it usually changes entire industries. I bet that the color coating biz will never be the same after Apple gets through with it. The iPhone 4 paint process will be the most innovative thing ever!

And as far as HTC goes, I don't think that they really care about having a nice looking phone.
  • Reply 172 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

lastly, the super indestructable glass on my wifes iPhone cracked in the upper right corner, and she says she's never dropped the thing [there are no scratches or dents or tiny nicks on it, as would be evidence from a drop]. we'll exchange it under warranty of course, but it will be the first iPhone/iPod we've ever returned.

No way Apple will replace that under Warranty. Physical abuse is not covered.

It will cost you $200 for the new piece of glass, but it will be better than the cheap ones on eBay where you don't know if it will really hold up like the authentic Apple OEM glass. And unless you pay the $200 to Apple, you will loose your Warrenty completely.

Don't worry, it is worth it still because the iP4 uses special Gorilla Glass.

Your best bet is to get a case for her because that improves reception too.
  • Reply 173 of 223
    gristangristan Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Yeah, don't get one. They're horrible. I hate everything about my iPhone4. It is unusable. It's like carrying a deck of cards in my pocket. Let's go over to Gizmodo and post some flaming trolling idiot comments over there. ( Closes and locks door behind Blackintosh )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Yeah, don't get one. They're horrible. I hate everything about my iPhone4. It is unusable. It's like carrying a deck of cards in my pocket. Let's go over to Gizmodo and post some flaming trolling idiot comments over there. ( Closes and locks door behind Blackintosh )

WHOEVER BELIEVES Ya THE i-Phone 4 OWNER, TROLL, IN THE FIRST PLACE???????????????????????????????????

IF Ya REALLY HAVE i-Phone 4's ANTENNA DEFECT, COME TO JAPAN AND SHOW US HOW YOUR " DEATH GRIP " WORKS HERE IN JAPAN WHERE EVEN " 1 CASE " OF COMPLAINT OF ANTENNA FLAW HAS YET TO BEEN REPORTED AT ALL TO DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i-Phone 4's ANTENNA PROBLEM ARE ALL " YOUR AMRICA'S VILLAIN'S FABRICATION "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMERICANS HAVE BEEN NAIIVELY CHEATED AND MADE FOOL OF BY THE " PROTEGES MEDIAS " OF " WALL STREET ", DULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE BEEN CALLED " SHEEP ", WHETHER Apple FAN BOY OR MISERABLE LOSER Apple-NAYSAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAKE UP, REST OF THE WORLD IS LAUGHING AT THIS " ANTENNAGATE CAPRICCIO " IN THE U.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS " A CAIN " WHO TACTED AND MASTERMIND THE PLOT BEHIND THE SCENES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND JAPAN IS NOT THE ONLY COUNTRY TO SAY " SO "!!!!!!!

> its alleged antenna problems were just “a storm in a tea cup.”

In response to India Real Time’s post on whether Indian consumers were ready for the iPhone 4, where tech blogger Amit Agarwal said the reception problem might deter buyers, BUT

IRT reader “Paul” commented, “In Germany where I live and work, there has been no issue!”

Bloomberg

Apple iPhone 4’s alleged reception problem has not deterred its fans, who still swear by it.Varun Krishnan, chief blogger of Indian mobile blog FoneArena, who e-mailed IRT after he read the earlier post, said that the antenna problem was “being blown out of proportion.”

Mr. Krishnan asked a friend in the U.K. to get him an unlocked iPhone 4 and has been using it for the past two weeks.

“The first thing I tried when I received the phone was to hold it at the antenna and there was no problem whatsoever – I even managed to get a download speed of 1mbps on it,” he told IRT.

SO, RETARDED ANTI-Apple-NAYSAYERS HERE FINGERPOINTING i-Phone 4's ANTENNA DEFECT WANT TO INSIST NOW,

" Apple MUST HAVE SHIPPED ANOTHER VERSION OF " ANTENNAGATE FREE " i-Phone 4 TO FOUR COUNTRIES ( FRANCE, JAPAN, GB, GERMANY )" OTHER THAN U.S.????????????????????

THAT'S " FUNNY ", IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 174 of 223
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

So what's this new issue with Apple called, Whiteygate?

The white phone is late. It happens. It's not a big deal. You freaking wait if you want one. If you can't, buy the black one paint it, cover it, skin it do whatever makes you feel all warm and cozy that your phone is the perfect color and move on with your life.

How about discussing real news like if Verizon is selling so many Droid phones, why are they loosing money? Why did they loose 11k workers?

OK buddy, pull over! That is two incorrect instances of using "loose" rather than the correct "lose" in one brief post: "losing money" and "lose 11k workers". I'll let you off with a warning this time but lose the loose unless it is appropriate.
  • Reply 175 of 223
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gristan View Post

:

THAT'S " FUNNY ", IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear gristan-san,

That was an example of American sarcasm. Not a troll.
  • Reply 176 of 223
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

That could just as easily be the result of dividing all AC reported Antenna/Reception reports by ALL iPhones sold to date. Or could be the percentage of all AC reports for ALL products. Not sure if the original source data is explicit enough to be sure about it.

either way we would need some way to extrapolate reported problems to all problems which have not yet been discovered or reported or considered serious enough to report or have read so much on the web figured a fix must be in the works and are willing to wait.

Someone said - there are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statics. Which means that without full disclosure of the context statistics can appear to be significant which are in fact meaningless.

Following your logic, 100% could as well stand for stars in the milky-way?
  • Reply 177 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Similar to the friend you love to hate, and miss when they're gone?

Nah.
  • Reply 178 of 223
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

OK buddy, pull over! That is two incorrect instances of using "loose" rather than the correct "lose" in one brief post: "losing money" and "lose 11k workers". I'll let you off with a warning this time but lose the loose unless it is appropriate.

It's drink till you puke Friday so leave me alone.
  • Reply 179 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gristan View Post

" Apple MUST HAVE SHIPPED ANOTHER VERSION OF " ANTENNAGATE FREE " i-Phone 4 TO FOUR COUNTRIES ( FRANCE, JAPAN, GB, GERMANY )" OTHER THAN U.S.????????????????????THAT'S " FUNNY ", IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, gristan? I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I do believe you have the same model iPhone 4 in Japan as we have here in the US. I think the issue may have to do with the fact that the four countries you mentioned all have better 3G networks in place than we have here in the US with AT&T.

iPhones outside the US are probably just less susceptible to the perceived problem because there aren't that many areas of poor reception in those countries. You don't see a reception drop with a "death grip" because there is no drop, because your 3G networks are awesome!

I personally have had no reception/antenna problems at all with my iPhone 4 and contend, as I have from the beginning, that the "problem" was blown completely out of proportion (and still is by a couple of Apple-bashing idiots on this board) by overzealous people who, for whatever reasons, don't like Apple's success.
  • Reply 180 of 223
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

But the face of the phone would still be black

True enough. You can't have everything. Where would you keep it?