LG unable to meet iPad display demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Se it wasn't Apple artificially creating limited supply to increase the hype, it was the component supplier. Running at full capacity, yeah right.

Or maybe its a Microsoft led conspiracy to limit the product capacity to make things harder on Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm not sure what Asian has to do with this. I really hope you are not trying to say all Asians are in ethical or can't be trusted. If you are it is a sad comment on you as a person.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sometimes it makes you wonder if you can trust anything these Asian suppliers say. They are competing with Apple and also a vendor.

And this is a surprise? Get real and learn a bit about business.

Beside at the level Apple works business relationships are built on trust and an epectation of ethical behavior. Their may be lawyers crossing the tees and dotting the eyes but it is the handshake and the relationship between CEOs that make or breaks deals.

Quote:

With the leaks and the knock offs, stealing IP and everything else, how long can these relationships last? It is definitely the Achilles' heel for Apple.

Well dealing with China is bad for most of America, so Apple isn't alone here. The problem is China is one of the few places in the world that has the ability to put electronics production lines into operation at low cost.

As to how long the relationships can last, that is simple a very long time. Take the example of Samsung a vendor that Apple has had a very long relationship with. That relatioship will remain solid for a very long time as long as the principals trust each other and each side acts in good faith. The A4 processor is a good example here, Apple could have went with a number of chip foundries to produce the A4 but remained with Samsung. It wasn't about technology as that came from Intrinsity, rather I believe it is about having a partner you can trust. The fact that Intrinsity was also working with Samsung prior to Apples buy out factors in there too.

In any event people have trouble here reading between the lines or for that matter taking comments from CEOs at face value. Apple has already said that they grossly underestimated the demand for iPad and are now placing orders for double what was expected.

It is pretty easy to build a production line for a million items a month, get it setup and running smoothly. It does not however happen instantly. Doubling your production takes the same amount of time as it took to make the first production line. So LG has to literally build another production line which again takes time.

What has happened here is that Apple missed badly on expected production demand. So what likely happened is that the CEOs of the various companies work with Apple sat around a round table or a virtual one and went over the expected production demand trying to fit capacity to that demand. There in they determined what sort of plants had to be built and committed to a timetable to get the production lines up. At that time production capacity is fixed more or less. This likely happened early in 2009. Some parts of the production process might be easy to duplicate but what this comment, from the LG CEO, is telling us is that doubling production on the LCD line isn't that easy and is indeed the limiting factor. Setting up a production line with complex tools can take months and that only happens after the tools arrive.

One thing I don't disagree with you is on the need for manufactures like Apple to do more manufacturing in the USA. However that has nothing to do with being Able to trust Asian manufactures. It is more about industrial capacity, quality of life and national security. Much of manufacturing went to Asia due to herd mentality and irrational consumer demand for ever cheaper gadgets.

Know don't think I'm against international commerce or free trade. Rather I think that companies like Apple need to demonstrate some balance with respect to sourcing a devices components. Producing A4 in the US would be setting a good example. That doesn't mean that Apple should build it's own plants (that is another discussion) but rather they should partner with foundries in the US.

Dave
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Sadly, I guess that means we will NOT see the same "Retina Display" in the next update to the iPad then. If LG is saying they won't even catch up on current IPS display production at this size, it would seem to indicate that the next refresh (assuming Apple sticks with an annual update cycle for iPad) will see the iPad v2 continue to use the same display until a higher density display can be manufactured en masse.

That's too bad because I'm really really liking my iPhone 4's display. Going back to 3GS displays and even my computer display, I can really feel the difference that a high pixel density screen brings.

Same here. I'm holding off on an iPad until the next gen hoping they will improve the screen rez and put in forward cam. Until then, I'm going to enjoy using my iPhone 4 as the screen has definitely made a difference for me. By the time the next gen iPad comes out, i'm sure apps tailored for the larger screen will be more common place, too.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One thing I don't disagree with you is on the need for manufactures like Apple to do more manufacturing in the USA. However that has nothing to do with being Able to trust Asian manufactures. It is more about industrial capacity, quality of life and national security. Much of manufacturing went to Asia due to herd mentality and irrational consumer demand for ever cheaper gadgets.

Know don't think I'm against international commerce or free trade. Rather I think that companies like Apple need to demonstrate some balance with respect to sourcing a devices components. Producing A4 in the US would be setting a good example. That doesn't mean that Apple should build it's own plants (that is another discussion) but rather they should partner with foundries in the US.

Dave

I couldn't agree more with these sentiments on all levels. I can't help suspecting SJ is thinking along these lines too.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    An iPad with Retina Display, assuming you hold it the same distance as iPhone, 330 PPI is required. Which is 2.5 times the pixel density of current iPad. Which means 2560 x 1920 resolution.

Technically this is not impossible. There are PPI of up to ~400 in DC and world record of 2200 PPI. However getting this with IPS, Touchscreen mode, and mass availability is a completely different story.

And i dont understand where is the High System Power requirement for displaying High Res. Unless we are playing games, otherwise we are perfectly capable of using High Res in Day to Day operation.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    The more i use my ipad the less i like my 3GS
  • Reply 27 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure but they make displays for anyone who wants one, passing on whatever they learn from Apple.

Not if Apple has any associated engineering patents connected to the displays. I have no inside knowledge in this matter.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

LG Display's CEO said Thursday that the company had been unable to fulfill orders for displays used in Apple's iPad, but promised "without fail" to catch up with demand by Q2 2011.

Just in time for the launch of iPad v2 when no doubt sales will explode again and leave demand exceeding supply once again.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

Why is it that so many people keep saying this even though the solution is stupid obvious? Just redesign the back of the iMac so it can be taken off its stand and put flat on the desk. The iMac's chin becomes a wrist rest.

Go check out the picures of the Wacom Cintiq is you need help imagining how this could work.

There are other reasons why a direct touchscreen interface is poorly suited to Mac OS X, but I think they could eventually be solved as well, if Apple wanted too.

It's just really aggrevating to hear the same reason over and over, even though it has already been addressed many times in the past.

"Wacom's most advanced pen technology" ? That is not quite touchscreen.

I have a 24" iMac, and it is quite heavy. If I laid it down flat, I am not going to have a good view while sitting down.

Apple has the capability to amend the GUI. But, I still maintain that your solution is not sensible ergonomically.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Demand = Desirability... (almost) Everyone Wins with a little bit of waiting.

Having just read the thread about the 9 new countries and long lines I have to disagree with your thoughts although initially I was thinking the same thing.

There is a 'moment' for these things and iPad's moment is now. No doubt iPad Mk. II is under development but for now Apple need to move these the current iPads while the competition is still in the dust cloud trying to copy.

IMHO Apple should have better planned the ability to meet demands (and I don't fault Apple too often). All I can think is the demand must be way beyond Apple's wildest dreams to be caught this short (iPhone as well as iPad) unless as others have suggested they are being constrained deliberately by nefarious means. That does seems far fetched but it would be awful if true.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I have a 24" iMac, and it is quite heavy. If I laid it down flat, I am not going to have a good view while sitting down.

Apple has the capability to amend the GUI. But, I still maintain that your solution is not sensible ergonomically.

I suspect there is an angle at which a large touch screen is quite ergonomic if laid down. A grand piano is played horizontal after all. Obviously you don't want to reach too far out in front but tucked up close you could reach a lot of space without back ache. Perhaps the screen could curve around you slightly. The vertical inclination I suspect would be about 15 to 20 degrees but adjustable. I truly think this would be a wonderful FCPro work station if full touch FCPro were available.

So to the point, a detachable 24" screen at the correct inclination and height and distance from the user would be quite easy and pleasant to use I think. Imagine a VR keyboard app
  • Reply 32 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

An iMac is heavy, but it comes with a stand that holds it in place. People seem to have this impression of a false duality with regards to angle, horizontal versus vertical. With some form factor changes, I think somewhere in between would be ideal. If you build it into the center of something like a drafting table with adjustable height and angle, I think it would be quite nice. For several reasons, I don't think Apple will be the one to do it, it would be a niche item, people would be too unfamiliar with that style of work, and it would be very expensive.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Having just read the thread about the 9 new countries and long lines I have to disagree with your thoughts although initially I was thinking the same thing.

His premise is off. it?s a causal relationship. Demand is an effect of desirability. As for everyone win wins when they wait, that?s is complete BS. If you can?t sell as many units as you could have had you had the supply available then you are losing sales. If the customer can?t get the product they want then they may lose interest or buy from a competitor.

Luckily for Apple no one else has a competitive product to offer so the iPad has the market for awhile. Hopefully, for their sake, they can get their production up to meet demand.

This isn?t the first time this has happened and it surely won?t be the last. Diseconomy of scale is a real issue for Apple. They will eventually have to introduce more products using different components to deal with this growing component supply issue or risk losing sales and customers, possibly forever.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Ah-mazing. Apple is the only company making iPad sized touch screen devices that I know of and they eat up all of capacity for production. Kindle uses e-inc and I don't think they are touch screen. I don't even think nook is touch screen (except for that small lower display).
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

An iMac is heavy, but it comes with a stand that holds it in place. People seem to have this impression of a false duality with regards to angle, horizontal versus vertical. With some form factor changes, I think somewhere in between would be ideal. I don't think Apple will be the one to do it though. If you build it into the center of something like a drafting table with adjustable height and angle, I think it would be quite nice.

I can imagine Mr. Ives having a blast designing such a screen. You move your hand over a pad and the scree silently moves to various angles depending on your requirement at that given moment.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

His premise is off. it’s a causal relationship. Demand is an effect of desirability. As for everyone win wins when they wait, that’s is complete BS. If you can’t sell as many units as you could have had you had the supply available then you are losing sales. If the customer can’t get the product they want then they may lose interest or buy from a competitor.

Luckily for Apple no one else has a competitive product to offer so the iPad has the market for awhile. Hopefully, for their sake, they can get their production up to meet demand.

This isn’t the first time this has happened and it surely won’t be the last. Diseconomy of scale is a real issue for Apple. They will eventually have to introduce more products using different components to deal with this growing component supply issue or risk losing sales and customers, possibly forever.

Yes exactly! Imagine if there were a Google Pad right now and in plentiful supply. I and many of us would still wait but perhaps not so with the less Apple-centric. Awoken to the concept by Apple but unable to buy.

I have a feeling Apple maybe thinking about their own manufacturing capabilities down the road. Not necessarily for everything but for key components such as the glass screens.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:

I can imagine Mr. Ives having a blast designing such a screen. You move your hand over a pad and the scree silently moves to various angles depending on your requirement at that given moment.

A drafting table concept does make sense to me. Have at it, Mr. Ives. And, TFT screen technology will help out as well.

Basically, I'm saying that Apple can do better than the conventional touch screen for laptops and desktops.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    It's time for Apple to become a manufacturer instead of just a designer. We call Apple a manufacturer but really they just design the products and hire outsiders to build them. It would be great if they just created real factories in the USA and started building things.

I would like to see made in the USA stamped on my Apple products. It could be done if the company decided to do it. They could use the income from the iAds to pay for the labor. Apple could turn around the USA economy in a big way if in addition to building their products here they would get all of their raw materials here. Apple could start with the iPods and move into making the more intricate things as time went on.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

There is a 'moment' for these things and iPad's moment is now. No doubt iPad Mk. II is under development but for now Apple need to move these the current iPads while the competition is still in the dust cloud trying to copy.

IMHO Apple should have better planned the ability to meet demands (and I don't fault Apple too often). All I can think is the demand must be way beyond Apple's wildest dreams to be caught this short (iPhone as well as iPad) unless as others have suggested they are being constrained deliberately by nefarious means. That does seems far fetched but it would be awful if true.

True, there is a risk Apple may be overtaken somehow. But it is clear iPad is a new platform in and of itself. I don't think it is just a fad... Apple is looking at iPad long term now.

Nonetheless, Apple also has to look long term on their manufacturing capability, that I agree.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

It's time for Apple to become a manufacturer instead of just a designer. We call Apple a manufacturer but really they just design the products and hire outsiders to build them. It would be great if they just created real factories in the USA and started building things.

I would like to see made in the USA stamped on my Apple products. It could be done if the company decided to do it. They could use the income from the iAds to pay for the labor. Apple could turn around the USA economy in a big way if in addition to building their products here they would get all of their raw materials here. Apple could start with the iPods and move into making the more intricate things as time went on.

Have you seen the thousands of nimble hands needed to put together the intricate parts making up a finished Apple product. Have you noticed the emphasis Apple puts on the quality of its products? Then you should ask yourself if the overweight, thick fingered American workforce will ever be able to replace the hundred thousand Asian workers. And I won't even mention the cost.

Only when the whole production can be automated will Apple ever consider manufacture in the US. But then there won't be much employment created.