HP's webOS 2.0 to take on iPhone 4, iPad later this year

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 87
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Shakespeare much?



    After Googling:



    ""Wherefore" means why (or what), not where. It was a reference to [his] name or person. In other words, "Why you Romeo?" Why did she love HIM - a member of the hostile clan."
  • Reply 22 of 87
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    I think HP used to be a great brand. It's just, that all >> ALL << equipment I bought the last couple of years ( namely scanners and printers) lastet not even a year before sarting to have nozhing but problems. and consumer support was beyond lousy. Still I hope for the sake of healthy rivalery, that with the accuisition of palm, they find the out of mediocracy.



    My employer bought a professional grade 17" HP laptop for my work use. It is 1 year old and is having problems. Blue screen of death 2 to 3 times a week.



    I would try someone else before purchasing an HP for my personal use. (if I was willing to purchase a non Mac os x computer)
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    You're right... which is why it did so well while owned by Palm right?? Oh wait...



    if you were handicapped by sprints network, you'd be less of a smartphone too. the phone is actually really cool in comparison to even the current offerings today.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    The good part of all of this: More competition for Apple (to keep them on their toes) and no more soup for Microsoft!



    I'm not sure anymore. I think Apple marches to the beat of its own drum. I mean seriously, the iPhone 5's best competition will likely be the iPhone 4.



    Take the iPhone 4 for example, the perception is that you can't even make calls from the thing, yet it is still the best freaking phone on the market - hands down!





    I think WebOS' failure had more to do with its lack of splash than its software or hardware. In my estimation, its far better than any of the Android phones I've seen. And if I didn't own an iPhone, I would definitely own the Pre. Kudos to HP - I look forward to their tablet.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post


    My employer bought a professional grade 17" HP laptop for my work use. It is 1 year old and is having problems. Blue screen of death 2 to 3 times a week.



    I would try someone else before purchasing an HP for my personal use. (if I was willing to purchase a non Mac os x computer)



    Hmmm... Fortunately I never had to deal with HP laptops or PC's. Well exept my mother in law used to have an HP laptop at a time. After not quite a year it could only produce a beep sound accompagned by a enirely black screen after switching it on.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    It will be interesting to see what hardware they bring to the table. I recently purchased a cheap HP desktop that came with a printer. Two months in the printer started jamming when there was no paper jam. Checked the rollers to see if they were dirty, and they were not. Called HP and ran through their TS steps. The printer still jammed. HP sent me a replacement (refurb). Two weeks into using the refurb it starts doing the same damn thing. Paper jam when there wasn't one. Checked the rollers and again they were not dirty. I called HP only to be told that I am stuck with a useless printer because I already had the first (non working) printer replaced with a second (non working) printer. They of course went though the same TS steps with me and the printer continued to jam.



    If that is the type customer service they will have for their phone hardware they will have some serious problems. I feel bad for WebOS because it is a good mobile OS. It is just stuck with companies that have no clue how to make good hardware (Palm and HP). Now I am wondering how long this desktop will last until it starts to die a quick death...
  • Reply 27 of 87
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    I laugh when I see a random comment of someone predicting what's going to happen with any of these companies in the future. This market is evolving so fast that there is a new generation of hardware and software every six months, and each iteration changes the face of the whole industry.



    Android is succeeding thanks to carrier choice - I seriously doubt it could have grown to the extent it has in the US if the iPhone were available on all four of the major carriers. The Palm Pre disappeared from mind-share due to lack of hardware, exclusive carrier agreements, and little developer support. That's not to say WebOS was a bad idea, or that it doesn't have a future.



    I think WebOS has a beautiful future ahead with better handsets and a strong company like HP to back it up. Even if it only becomes a niche in the smartphone world, that operating system SCREAMS tablet. I can't see any of these android tablets coming anywhere near the elegance of the iPad, but a WebOS tablet is a whole other story.



    Also, Windows Phone is due to come out shortly, which also has the potential to win over smartphone users with its unique offerings, perhaps even tablets in the future as well. If there is the one clear winner in any of these markets, we're years and years away from knowing the answer. I love competition!
  • Reply 28 of 87
    frdsllsfrdslls Posts: 23member
    2 simple data points:



    (1) HP is not capable of designing a decent user interface.



    I was once, in an other life, a sad owner of an HP PC running Craposoft OS. The HP software add-ons supposed to help admin the box were just crippled beyond thinkable...



    (2) Palm failed because of its inability to create a decent music, videos, books and apps market place.



    Remember how Palm pathetically tried to hack its way into iTunes sync ?!

    HP is not capable neither to do that itself... HP stopped inventing a long time ago...
  • Reply 29 of 87
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Apple has already fired the warning shot. Everyone else is getting ready after the war has already started. That's the wrong way to attack and defend your tuff.



    These guys are all in a rush to produce anything meaningful. iPhone came out in 2007. Apple was working on iPad as far back as 2004, and then stumbled on iPhone idea by chance, according Steve Jobs. And look at what they have done with it. So, expect the iPad to outperform and outsell the iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    I think HP used to be a great brand. It's just, that all >> ALL << equipment I bought the last couple of years ( namely scanners and printers) lastet not even a year before sarting to have nozhing but problems. and consumer support was beyond lousy. Still I hope for the sake of healthy rivalery, that with the accuisition of palm, they find the out of mediocracy.



    I have to agree. I'm not holding my breath on tis one as being anything great. I have doubts HP with the hardware part better than palm.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Nothing, and I do mean N O T H I N G, in the mobile OS arena comes remotely close to the simplicity, elegance, and multi-tasking capabilities of Palm's WebOS.



    Hopefully version 2 will only improve upon these merits while bringing about a stronger app development community... Bring on the WebOS -Powered PalmPad!



    Yeah whatever! That's why they sold out to HP. All this clap trap BS coming from you Pre user makes me sick!
  • Reply 32 of 87
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    As a Pre owner, I really like the webOS part of the phone. The hardware would be good if it weren't for the constant quality issues... many people are on their 2nd (such as myself), 3rd, and even up to 6th phone... QC is obviously an issue.



    I suspect that if the iPhone came to Sprint, many Pre owners would abandon their phones for iPhones, but some really believe in the platform.



    I think HP can bring good mobile hardware to the table... just look at what HTC and Motorola and Apple are doing and duplicate that and put webOS 2.0 on it and see what the market does...



    And Windows Phone 7 looks interesting but probably not going to see Zune software on the Mac, so that certainly leaves most of us out...
  • Reply 33 of 87
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    Yeah whatever! That's why they sold out to HP. All this clap trap BS coming from you Pre user makes me sick!



    And what's wrong with being a Pre user?
  • Reply 34 of 87
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post


    As a Pre owner, I really like the webOS part of the phone. The hardware would be good if it weren't for the constant quality issues... many people are on their 2nd (such as myself), 3rd, and even up to 6th phone... QC is obviously an issue.



    I suspect that if the iPhone came to Sprint, many Pre owners would abandon their phones for iPhones, but some really believe in the platform.



    I think HP can bring good mobile hardware to the table... just look at what HTC and Motorola and Apple are doing and duplicate that and put webOS 2.0 on it and see what the market does...



    And Windows Phone 7 looks interesting but probably not going to see Zune software on the Mac, so that certainly leaves most of us out...



    Good post.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post


    And what's wrong with being a Pre user?



    Nothing.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post


    It will be interesting to see what hardware they bring to the table. I recently purchased a cheap HP desktop that came with a printer. Two months in the printer started jamming when there was no paper jam. Checked the rollers to see if they were dirty, and they were not. Called HP and ran through their TS steps. The printer still jammed. HP sent me a replacement (refurb). Two weeks into using the refurb it starts doing the same damn thing. Paper jam when there wasn't one. Checked the rollers and again they were not dirty. I called HP only to be told that I am stuck with a useless printer because I already had the first (non working) printer replaced with a second (non working) printer. They of course went though the same TS steps with me and the printer continued to jam.



    If that is the type customer service they will have for their phone hardware they will have some serious problems. I feel bad for WebOS because it is a good mobile OS. It is just stuck with companies that have no clue how to make good hardware (Palm and HP). Now I am wondering how long this desktop will last until it starts to die a quick death...



    I bought the HP 300s scientific calc(garbage) and I commented about how disgusting it was on HP's website. I even brought up how well my 20s is till holding up and said the 300s could never ever pawn my 20s(fantastic calc). You know what happened next? About a month later a fake comment appeared bestowing the virtues of the trashy a** 300s. Then the person said,'IT IS A GRAT REPLACEMENT FOR MY AGING 20S". OMFG!

    HP can go to h****!

    HP has nothing to bring to the table in this tablet game. Nothing!

    There isn't a manager at HP that has the Ba*** to build a tablet with a dedicated OS from the ground up. And that webos isn't going to save the day. It is just a convenient tool for HP to use. They'll do up some tired little youth focused advertisement with losers like Beiber jumping up and down like an a**hole.

    Sad thing is, we already see this coming. LOL!



    I'm getting the 64gig ipad with wifi+3G in 3 months.

    OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 87
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Should be a Apple-HP alliance to develop compatible apps for both platform; to counter the back-stabbing Google dark empire.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    I'm not sure anymore. I think Apple marches to the beat of its own drum. I mean seriously, the iPhone 5's best competition will likely be the iPhone 4.



    Take the iPhone 4 for example, the perception is that you can't even make calls from the thing, yet it is still the best freaking phone on the market - hands down!





    I think WebOS' failure had more to do with its lack of splash than its software or hardware. In my estimation, its far better than any of the Android phones I've seen. And if I didn't own an iPhone, I would definitely own the Pre. Kudos to HP - I look forward to their tablet.



    I think that you (and a few others, here) are spot on about the potential of HP/Palm:



    -- The hardware manufacturer and the OS manufacturer are one company (ala Apple)

    -- They can tailor the two to each other and tightly integrate them (ala Apple)

    -- They need not dissipate their treasure or resources over many products from many vendors (ala mfgrs using Android or MWMW (Mircosoft Windows Mobile Whatever))

    -- They need not create a skin or artificial UI to differentiate themself from the also-rans.

    -- They can build a few targeted products of quality rather cheap flavors du jour

    -- They have the luxury of having the opportunity of being unique, high-quality, trend-setting and profitable (ala Apple)



    They could/should be one of the long-term players.



    .
  • Reply 38 of 87
    frdsllsfrdslls Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I think that you (and a few others, here) are spot on about the potential of HP/Palm:



    -- The hardware manufacturer and the OS manufacturer are one company (ala Apple)

    -- They can tailor the two to each other and tightly integrate them (ala Apple)

    -- They need not dissipate their treasure or resources over many products from many vendors (ala mfgrs using Android or MWMW (Mircosoft Windows Mobile Whatever))

    -- They need not create a skin or artificial UI to differentiate themself from the also-rans.

    -- They can build a few targeted products of quality rather cheap flavors du jour

    -- They have the luxury of having the opportunity of being unique, high-quality, trend-setting and profitable (ala Apple)



    They could/should be one of the long-term players.



    .



    Then what ?



    You have a nice OS running on a nice hardware, but still lacking of a comprehensive, integrated platform to deliver content ! It is all about content !! Namely books, applications, games, music, movies...



    Apple has a successful platform to deliver that: iTunes.

    What is HP/Palm integrated alternative ?
  • Reply 39 of 87
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    The good part of all of this: More competition for Apple (to keep them on their toes) and no more soup for Microsoft!



    You still don't get it, do you ...... Apple competes with itself (by always trying to outdo themselves) more than outside competition. Was Apple "motivated" by the existing competition when they developed iPod? ... No! Everybody and their dog thought they were crazy to introduce a music device costing 100s of dollars.



    Was Apple "motivated" by the competition when they developed iPhone? ...No! Again, the prevailing "wisdom" of the day said they were crazy to compete with the existing phone makers .... "they don't understand the phone market" they said.



    This nonsense that you continue to post about "keeping them on their toes" is useless drivel. Apple motivates themselves ..... always have ... always will. Steve has said time and time again (but you still can't/won't hear him) ... Apple desires to make the best products they can, products that they would like to own themselves ... end of story. Time for you to put your thinking cap on .... please.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    And if I didn't own an iPhone, I would definitely own the Pre. Kudos to HP - I look forward to their tablet.



    Indeed, I have no intention of leaving the iOS eco system anytime soon (too many useful additions to my iPhone) but the webOS always was a close competitor to me, considering the amount of cleverness and user interface polishing that went into the development of the OS. Some aspects are even superior to the iOS experience, the notifications for example are ingenious on webOS (there is still a lot of work to do for Apple).



    After all, I never understood why many Apple fans disliked this product with such a passion, the build quality may not be top notch but the software is still incredibly refined compared to Android (even with Google's backing Android 2.2 lacks the attention to detail and thoughtfulness of its competitors).
Sign In or Register to comment.