Apple warns of short-term iMac shortages ahead of new models - sources

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What's it going to be apple, I can't handle glare one the iPad, how would I handle it on a 27" screen.

Well, maybe it's an issue for some, I have no idea how many, people, but I don't have any problem handling the glare on a 27" screen, because there almost never is any that I notice. Of course, I've never been bothered by iPad glare either, although, sometimes iPhone glare (in sunlight & fluorescent lighting) can be problematic for me, but I can just change the screen angle to eliminate it.
  • Reply 62 of 96
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Unless I am in very dark surroundings even iPad glare bothers me and no matter how you incline the screen the glare is still there, I am happy that it doesn't bother you and I of course believe and take your word for it, that said it's still a problem to many people, as evidenced by any kind of sampling in forums when the issue comes up. I have used many glass iMacs and MacBook pros and i ve never handled any of them well, I can occasionally forget the glare, but every 10 minutes or so I ll come across a glare that will annoy me.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    snafusnafu Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I doubt USB 3 will be in the machines. It all depends upon a chipset where it is "free". I'm not going to knock USB 3, but contrary to opinions expressed in this thread it isn't really all it is cracked up to be. Apple needs to implement, sometime of course; I just don't see it happening this month or next. Unless of course Apple puts in a bleeding edge Intel chipset.

Please take into account products like this and this from Blackmagic Design, or this one from Sharkoon (which I have). You can see such a speedy bus opens many interesting possibilities.

What I don't quite get is FW1600 or FW3200: it's good to see them arrive, but one guesses it is too late already (what with Apple disdaining FW in MacBooks, so signalling it was intending to kill it as a low-end Macs feature), I doubt many third parties would join that bandwagon.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

How's this for a powerhouse dream iMac...

30" LED screen(matte optional)

3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7

32GB RAM maximum

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 dedicated GPU

512GB SSD system drive

2TB HDD

6 USB 3.0 ports

1 FW3200 port

Mini DisplayPort

eSata port

media card slot

gigabit ethernet port

optical audio i/o

BluRay Superdrive

Apple EXTENDED wireless keyboard with integrated MULTITOUCH TRACKPAD

It is me or someone had a wet dream here?
  • Reply 65 of 96
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Potential configurations included a dual-core Core i5 model, as well as quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 configurations. Also of interest, according to those same people, were indications that new iMacs would be the first Macs to employ Intel's Core i3 processor at the low-end, which would have the new family of desktops utilize all three flavors of Intel's mobile Core line of processors.

Correction: The Core i5 iMac launched in October, 2009, uses a quad-core desktop Core i5 CPU, not the dual core mobile variant launched this Spring and used in the May, 2010 MacBook Pros.

Proud owner of a Core i5 iMac.

• Reply 66 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Unless I am in very dark surroundings even iPad glare bothers me and no matter how you incline the screen the glare is still there, I am happy that it doesn't bother you and I of course believe and take your word for it, that said it's still a problem to many people, as evidenced by any kind of sampling in forums when the issue comes up. I have used many glass iMacs and MacBook pros and i ve never handled any of them well, I can occasionally forget the glare, but every 10 minutes or so I ll come across a glare that will annoy me.

Yeah, sorry, wasn't just bragging that glare doesn't bother me, had some point about the glare I was going to make, got distracted, didn't, and now have forgotten what it was.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Lol, no worries, it's all good.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    HA HA good catch 30' (foot) reminds me of spinal tap when they made the stone henge 30" (inches) tall.

Good stuff! Oh yea this sucks i just bought a new 27" quad core! I wounder if I pulled the trigger too soon! urggggghhhhh
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, a 30 foot iMac would be impressive.

HA HA good catch 30' (foot) reminds me of spinal tap when they made the stone henge 30" (inches) tall.

Good stuff! Oh yea this sucks i just bought a new 27" quad core! I wounder if I pulled the trigger too soon! urggggghhhhh
  • Reply 70 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The ideal iMac for me would be:

- 24" screen with very high DPI for beautiful fonts

- Lots of USB ports

- CPU around 2.5GHz with at least 2 cores (don't care if C2D or iX)

- 500GB SSD

- 4GB RAM

- Nvidia 320M integrated graphics

The 320M and SSD are for quietness. This should only need 1 fan.

Don't care about gaming/3D performance because have PC for that, Mac is for apps.

I don't pretend to think it's realistic though, because of the price of SSDs! *sigh*
  • Reply 71 of 96
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Good lord, can we please stop demanding that everything look like an iphone?

The form factor of an all glass machine is ridiculous in a desktop. Can you imagine an open space design department with rows of iMacs with mirrors on BOTH sides. You might as well ask designers to work in the middle of a carnival-style house of mirrors.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. Apple put a pro quality IPS display in the current iMac and has a quad core desktop i7 in it. At worst it is considered Pro-Sumer these days. If you don't need the expandability of the current Mac Pro, you can get a great monitor and a faster system for less by buying one of the top end iMacs.

It may be an IPS display, but it has a relatively low 72% gamut thanks to the use of cheap LEDs for backlighting. Some would consider that too low to be considered anything but a mass market consumer product.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    So how long was it from the point where this guidance was given for the iMac mini until the device was actually shipped? i.e. when are the new iMacs coming?
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

... You might as well ask designers to work in the middle of a carnival-style house of mirrors.

I'm pretty sure this is already happening: http://webpagesthatsuck.smugmug.com/...770_dDDkt-A-LB
  • Reply 75 of 96
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

So how long was it from the point where this guidance was given for the iMac mini until the device was actually shipped? i.e. when are the new iMacs coming?

I have it on excellent authority that they'll be here as soon as they arrive!
  • Reply 76 of 96
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Clearly "those same people" are badly misinformed because the 27" iMac uses desktop processors.

Why are they "badly misinformed"?

It is also currently available with the i5 and the i7 mobile processors.
  • Reply 77 of 96
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Correction: The Core i5 iMac launched in October, 2009, uses a quad-core desktop Core i5 CPU, not the dual core mobile variant launched this Spring and used in the May, 2010 MacBook Pros.

Why does there need to be a correction? The article stated, "Potential configurations included a dual-core Core i5 model,".

It did not state that there is a dual core i5 available now.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Why are they "badly misinformed"?

It is also currently available with the i5 and the i7 mobile processors.

No actually you're wrong. The mobile i5 and i7 chips have GPUs built in, the ones in the iMac do not. Also if you look at the processor speeds involved, they are desktop models. Plus, there are no mobile quad core i7s. The current iMac body has more room and aluminum for spreading heat out compared to when they were forced to use laptop parts when they had the iLamp body design.

EDIT:More info. i5 2.66GHz = i5 750 The mobile chips top out with the i5 540M at 2.533GHz and it wasn't released until January 2010. The iMac's BTO quad core i7 is a 2.8GHz i7 860 which was released in September 2009.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    I was planning on getting a imac i7 27" but I'm willing to wait a couple more months to see what's going to be released this fall.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    .random.random Posts: 1member
    How about 21.5" or 27" iMacs with Retina displays!

Will be great for Graphic designers and Photo editing I presume..