HP's webOS 2.0 to take on iPhone 4, iPad later this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

Then what ?

You have a nice OS running on a nice hardware, but still lacking of a comprehensive, integrated platform to deliver content ! It is all about content !! Namely books, applications, games, music, movies...

Apple has a successful platform to deliver that: iTunes.

What is HP/Palm integrated alternative ?

I didn't address infrastructure and content-- but I think that's doable! HP/Palm should be able to a better job of that than Android or MWMW-- they can focus on fewer unique devices with known minimum configurations -- rather than trying to satisfy everybody, badly.

If they can gain numbers, I think it would be more attractive to developers to concentrate on 1 or 2 HP/Palm OS versions and 1 or 2 iOS versions rather than the ever increasing fragmentation of Android-- who knows what MS will do or when?

• Reply 42 of 87
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The good part of all of this: More competition for Apple (to keep them on their toes) and no more soup for Microsoft!

No serious attempt of competition with Apple here. Android is probably the only one with that in mind and they are a long way off.

Feels like they want to compete with everyone but Apple. The collective strategy seems to be go after the low end phones because they will not get enough software to go head-to-head with the iPhone. Essentially they are going after the feature phone market.
  • Reply 43 of 87
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Yeah whatever! That's why they sold out to HP. All this clap trap BS coming from you Pre user makes me sick!

Actually my primary smartphones are currently the iPhone 3GS (company phone) and the DROID X (personal phone), I simply respect/laud engineering excellence regardless of manufacturer.

Shows how much you (absolutely) Do Not Know -
  • Reply 44 of 87
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The good part of all of this: More competition for Apple (to keep them on their toes) and no more soup for Microsoft!

i agree. as pointed out above, the integration of hardware and software has great potential. it'll come down to the execution and ecosystem.

just a guess, but my inkling as to why many apple fans seemed to dislike palm/the pre so much was the role of rubenstein. that and the piggy-backing onto iTunes. and perhaps they did see it's potential as a serious rival to the iPhone?

i do see this as potentially good competition for apple. of course, they always push themselves, but perhaps that is as much from the lack of competition in the areas that they focus on - user experience, UI design and industrial design.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I propose the tag line: ?This holiday season we?re dropping an H-Palm on the wireless industry"

Say, I like that.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

LOL

WebOS is an awesome OS, and I think that if HP can really dedicate time and resources they can be successful. If WinMo dies like I think it will with version 7 there will be a good 10-12% of the smartphone market for palm to grab. It won't be as big as android or iOS, but it might kill off Nokia's Symbian as well.

In the end I think we will have Blackberry OS, Android, iOS and WebOS. Since blackberry is business only, consumer segment can accomodate 3 OSs I think.

Never count Microsoft out, they have huge advantages with Office, Exchange, etc that they can potentially leverage to help Windows Phone 7 to succeed. Also don't forget Nokia is still big outside the US.

However, I am struggling to see how WebOS can succeed. Apple had early mover advantage (no one had a comparable product for at least 18 months). Android has the advantage of multiple hardware partners. WebOS has neither of these advantages.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

After Googling:

""Wherefore" means why (or what), not where. It was a reference to [his] name or person. In other words, "Why you Romeo?" Why did she love HIM - a member of the hostile clan."

wherefore |ˈ(h)we(ə)rˌfôr| archaic

interrogative adverb

for what reason : she took an ill turn, but wherefore I cannot say.

relative adverb & conjunction

as a result of which : [as conj. ] truly he cared for me, wherefore I title him with all respect.

PHRASES

whys and wherefores see why .
  • Reply 48 of 87
    630630 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP is now going on record with the media in announcing that it will exclusively use Palm's webOS to power its future smartphones, dumping Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 entirely. Dell has announced similar plans, although it is using Android rather than WP7 or building its own mobile platform.

What the fuck, Dilger? Dell was announced as one of WP7's launch partners quite recently, and back in April specs about their Windows flagship, the Lightning, were leaked and were all over the internet soon after. I mean, I know you'll take any opportunity to make Apple look like they're in a more advantageous situation, but this is just patently false.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It failed because no one cared. Unless they come up with a compelling differentiator, no one will care 6 months from now either. If iPhone shows up on Verizon and/or T-mobile, very few people will care about any of the 50 different "current" Android handsets. Having said that, RIM will be dead in a year so there is probably room for WebOS.

If they are able to avoid the mistake of releasing to many products, they would have a shot at seriously rip into the mass consumer confusion that is Android. By the end of this next round of MS Exchange upgrades, RIM will be dead. Nearly all companies that plan on having employees a year from now are moving to support Exchange Activesync which is good for nearly everyone in the world except RIM. Blackberry's suck, they just managed to do a good job of getting themselves entrenched into most enterprise IT shops.

As devices like iPads and yet-to-be-named Android tablets gain in popularity, IT will have to support them. Fortunately for all of us, that means all of our phones will be supported to. I believe blackberries may be supported to, but they will no longer have a reason to be. People will gleefully toss the worthless hunks of plastic right into the river.

HP was one of the anchors on the race to the bottom in PCs, and only recently tried to turn it around. It will be interesting to see what HP shows up to the mobile game.

You should be asking yourself why no one cared. Palm did not have the money to compete in ads with Apple and needed Sprint to pay for ads. They were also a company a year from either being sold or going bankrupt and no one is going to buy a product from a company in that situation.

Apple, Google & MS are the three most powerful companies and Palm simply didn't have the power to compete. They didn't have Palm stores or brand recognition like Apple. The cards UI on the WebOS is better than iOS. For multitasking Apple seemed to plop it on top of the existing UI. Web OS still has the best implementation of a unified PNS which iOS still does not have. Meanwhile Android, a lesser OS, can't even manage to get pinch and zoom to be smooth.

HP is a company that's been around long time; much longer than Apple. Building a quality product needs more expensive parts which HP could not use in the "race to the bottom" PC industry. They have the chance to create a premium product like Apple.

As for RIM dying, you're wrong. RIM has patented encryption servers which are perfect for businesses looking for top flight security and those servers allow for better battery life than any competing phone. I don't know why you'd want for RIM to go away because Apple doesn't. Apple wants as many companies in this business as possible so there isn't another MS situation. This why it is rumored that Apple would buy Palm just to keep them alive.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disillusion View Post

Indeed, I have no intention of leaving the iOS eco system anytime soon (too many useful additions to my iPhone) but the webOS always was a close competitor to me, considering the amount of cleverness and user interface polishing that went into the development of the OS. Some aspects are even superior to the iOS experience, the notifications for example are ingenious on webOS (there is still a lot of work to do for Apple).

After all, I never understood why many Apple fans disliked this product with such a passion, the build quality may not be top notch but the software is still incredibly refined compared to Android (even with Google's backing Android 2.2 lacks the attention to detail and thoughtfulness of its competitors).

WebOS is lacking in apps, some major 3rd parties are there, like EA (Tiger Woods golf and Tetris are good), but most of the apps in the store are paid apps, even if only a $1.

Hopefully the new PDK will change that.

I had the choice of going with Android when I upgraded my phone in April, but I still prefer the polish of WebOS, even over iOS, the notifications are vastly superior and the multitasking is very good, although the OS could use tweaks here and there (luckily the homebrew community is very active, and Palm/HP is supportive of it). The HW isn't the real problem (it's the 3GS with 512 MB RAM and 16 GB flash for the Pre Plus), besides battery life.

I also like Palm's synergy syncing; Facebook, Google, Yahoo, AOL, Live, I have 6 e-mail accounts, and it also plugged into the respective calendars. Even does automatic backups to Palm's servers. The Touchstone is terrific, just can't believe there's no OBEX support for Bluetooth.

Palm failed when the announced the phone months before it was ready (see WinMob7, all the buzz is gone), and it launched on Sprint initially. Didn't help that Palm's and Verizon's ads were awful.

If they would have just showed someone using a few cards, some notification alerts, and the gesture bar, they probably would've been golden.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think MS will be a much bigger player than many suspect. They already are on 16% of the smartphone OSes as of a report earlier this year. I think it will WebOS that will have the hardest time getting a foorhold.

True that... but likely only on corporate market.

WP7 has potential to hit hard RIM and HP... if they manage to fulfil promises regarding quality Exchange integration as well as SharePoint, CRM and mobile Office. Not paying for BlackBerry Server alone (but still having good Enterprise level features) would be reason good enough for many corporate users to make a switch.

But MS will have to iron initial shortcomings (copy&paste, multitasking) to compete on consumer market with iPhone and Androids... so for that, they will have to wait for WP7.X (or will it be Windows Phone 8)? Still, if they manage to penetrate corporate market, that could easily give them beach head for spreading through consumer as well.

Can't say it is universal, but our bosses are already drooling over WP7 and are planning to get them ASAP. We are actively using CRM and it's customisation through QOS-IT, and if MS does implement that functionality into WP7, that is already killer feature for us. And from us, it will easily spread to number of our customers... a scenario easily possible for other IT conultants ant their clients.

Again, if it does what is being promised.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

good artists copy, great artists steal... too little too late. hope they enjoy the race to the bottom.

Agreed. It is literally pathetic how these companies cannot think of anything original. Copying Apple is all they are able to do and that is not going to work.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed. It is literally pathetic how these companies cannot think of anything original. Copying Apple is all they are able to do and that is not going to work.

"good artists copy, great artists steal" -

Design Originality circa 2003... http://content.techrepublic.com.com/...593.html?seq=1 A true testament to the 'greatness' of Apple's design team.

Note: Personally, as one who owns both devices, I find the designs quite similar... http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...g?t=1279945506
  • Reply 54 of 87
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    no way HP is going to release its PalmPad in 2010. scaling up the WebOS "under new management" into a pad will take almost

a year, plus some months for the final hardware polish. we'll see it next spring - along with iPad2.

haven't people noticed the repeated delays in all these "iPad killers" coming to market? maybe it is not as easy as the media hype part is.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

no way HP is going to release its PalmPad in 2010. scaling up the WebOS "under new management" into a pad will take almost

a year, plus some months for the final hardware polish. we'll see it next spring - along with iPad2.

haven't people noticed the repeated delays in all these "iPad killers" coming to market? maybe it is not as easy as the media hype part is.

Only time will tell, until then I'll still enjoy utilizing my iPad 64, S10-3t, and various other 'touch screen' computing devices/peripherals.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Keeping in mind, that the quote is from Pablo Picasso.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Keeping in mind, that the quote is from Pablo Picasso.

Pablo Picasso, who was declared legally insane after producing Les Demoisselles... Hmmm?
  • Reply 58 of 87
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Lo! A four horse race (iOS, Android, WebOS and Windows Phone).

Or will it be 5? Will there be a Free, Open Source one?
  • Reply 59 of 87
    "The lack of interest demonstrated by various competing hardware makers in flocking to a single platform has confounded pundits who have predicted that smartphones would quickly settle into a PC model with one monoculture software platform."

It took some time to resolve into a PC monoculture. There were bit players in the 80s like atari, amiga, os/2, apple.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Palm failed when the announced the phone months before it was ready (see WinMob7, all the buzz is gone)

So when apple announced the original iphone months before it was available, or the iphone4 a month or so before, or the ipad a month or so before, that was not fail?