HP's webOS 2.0 to take on iPhone 4, iPad later this year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So when apple announced the original iphone months before it was available, or the iphone4 a month or so before, or the ipad a month or so before, that was not fail?

Very Good Question, and one for which there really is no reasonable response... key word being 'reasonable'.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You still don't get it, do you ...... Apple competes with itself (by always trying to outdo themselves) more than outside competition. Was Apple "motivated" by the existing competition when they developed iPod? ... No! Everybody and their dog thought they were crazy to introduce a music device costing 100s of dollars.

Was Apple "motivated" by the competition when they developed iPhone? ...No! Again, the prevailing "wisdom" of the day said they were crazy to compete with the existing phone makers .... "they don't understand the phone market" they said.

This nonsense that you continue to post about "keeping them on their toes" is useless drivel. Apple motivates themselves ..... always have ... always will. Steve has said time and time again (but you still can't/won't hear him) ... Apple desires to make the best products they can, products that they would like to own themselves ... end of story. Time for you to put your thinking cap on .... please.

And amen! It's getting to the point where I want to scream when I see comments that claim Apple somehow "needs" competition. Apples only competition is Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    *sigh*

You've taken Mark Hurd's words out of context again.

When he said that "We didn?t buy Palm to be in the smartphone business", he meant that HP didn't buy Palm only to be in the smartphone business.

There was a little ambiguity in his original statement but it was all clarified later by himself and by HP.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and as HP rolls out its webOS tablet, expected to be named PalmPad.

Is that to prevent calluses?

Master of my domain.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think MS will be a much bigger player than many suspect. They already are on 16% of the smartphone OSes as of a report earlier this year. I think it will WebOS that will have the hardest time getting a foorhold.

They used to have close to 100% at one point, and their share has been falling ever since they got competition in the smartphone OS business. Windows Mobile is dead, and WP7 will mean a full reboot of microsofts smartphone business, but it's not here yet, and it remains to be seen if it can make a dent in ios/android/blackberry marketshare. The way things are looking right now is that end of 2010 ms will release a platform with a 2008 feature set, in a market that is twice a competitive as it was 2 years back. I wish them all the luck, and they will probably make some inroads, at least in the corporate business, but I most definitely wouldn't bet the farm on WP7 becoming a serious competitor to any of the 3 'big guys' out there right now (not counting symbian or meego since they both have insignificant market share in the smartphone business)
  • Reply 66 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You should be asking yourself why no one cared. Palm did not have the money to compete in ads with Apple and needed Sprint to pay for ads. They were also a company a year from either being sold or going bankrupt and no one is going to buy a product from a company in that situation.

Palm didn't need to buy ads. Every single news outlet in the Western World was giving them oodles of free advertising hyping up the iPhone Killer. You could't turn on a TV without being told how good the Pre supposedly was.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

WebOS will allow them to potentially become a boutique brand like Apple because they make the hardware and software.

I agree, it gives them the potential.

Quote:

As of today I think WebOS is more aesthetically pleasing than iOS and also has a few features I'd like on the iOS.

Ah, but heres the rub. Apple isn't successful because of features (or because of lack of features). Apple is successful because they focus, relentlessly, on the overall user experience first. Everything else, including features, is second. They aren't afraid to wait until they get something to the level they think is "right" - witness copy and paste. All the pissing and moaning, gloom and doom, ridicule - in the end it mattered not. When Apple did finally release it, it was elegant, well thought out and well implemented. More importantly, it will stand the test of time.

It will be interesting to see if HP can follow the same path - to see if it can execute the same discipline in choosing the overall experience over the sirens call (for tech companies, anyway) to just glob on feature after feature after feature -- even in the face of withering criticism from the blogosphere and tech press.

This is why Android is only really doing well in the US where the iPhone being on only one carrier opens up opportunity for people who want to use other carriers. Compared to the iPhone, the Android ecosystem is total chaos. Geeks and techies are non-plussed by the complexity, but they are in the minority. The rest of the world couldn't care less about "open". The more important question is "does this do something useful for me" and Apple excels at answering that question - and often pretty emphatically.

If HP can figure that out and break with tradition of the typical tech company, they have a shot at competing with Apple. Otherwise they will just be another one of many in a noisy end of the pool that's unappealing to most people.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

This nonsense that you continue to post about "keeping them on their toes" is useless drivel. Apple motivates themselves ..... always have ... always will. Steve has said time and time again (but you still can't/won't hear him) ... Apple desires to make the best products they can, products that they would like to own themselves ... end of story.

Thank you! I too get sick of these ridiculous "Apple needs the competition" claims. It's more like the rest of industry needs Apple to prod them on or we'd just have more ineffectual Windows tablets and phones!
  • Reply 69 of 87
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I didn't address infrastructure and content-- but I think that's doable! HP/Palm should be able to a better job of that than Android or MWMW--

Why on earth would you believe that? Google has YouTube. Microsoft already has the 360 video download service. HP has nothing.

Sony has a better chance of competing with Apple than HP.

Quote:

they can focus on fewer unique devices with known minimum configurations -- rather than trying to satisfy everybody, badly.

If they can gain numbers, I think it would be more attractive to developers to concentrate on 1 or 2 HP/Palm OS versions and 1 or 2 iOS versions rather than the ever increasing fragmentation of Android-- who knows what MS will do or when?

MS has a huge developer base of C# developers and Android fragmentation is overblown just like the iPhone 4 issues.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

As a Pre owner, I really like the webOS part of the phone. The hardware would be good if it weren't for the constant quality issues... many people are on their 2nd (such as myself), 3rd, and even up to 6th phone... QC is obviously an issue.

I suspect that if the iPhone came to Sprint, many Pre owners would abandon their phones for iPhones, but some really believe in the platform.

I think HP can bring good mobile hardware to the table... just look at what HTC and Motorola and Apple are doing and duplicate that and put webOS 2.0 on it and see what the market does...

And Windows Phone 7 looks interesting but probably not going to see Zune software on the Mac, so that certainly leaves most of us out...

That's a good post.

Personally, whilst I've not seen that much of WebOS, what I have seen I've quite liked. However, think the problem other tablets are going to start seeing is lack of apps. Apple have got ahead of the curve there and as a consumer, why would you buy device with little available software when you can have one with lots? It then becomes a virtuous circle for Apple because developers will go after the bigger market (just as they sadly do for Windows when compared with Macs).
  • Reply 71 of 87
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean like; how dare they. Seriously Daniel, step away from the cult for a moment and look at the whole tech industry with an ounce of objectivity.

Objectivity? My god man, you must be insane...!
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It failed because no one cared. Unless they come up with a compelling differentiator, no one will care 6 months from now either. If iPhone shows up on Verizon and/or T-mobile, very few people will care about any of the 50 different "current" Android handsets. Having said that, RIM will be dead in a year so there is probably room for WebOS.

If they are able to avoid the mistake of releasing to many products, they would have a shot at seriously rip into the mass consumer confusion that is Android. By the end of this next round of MS Exchange upgrades, RIM will be dead. Nearly all companies that plan on having employees a year from now are moving to support Exchange Activesync which is good for nearly everyone in the world except RIM. Blackberry's suck, they just managed to do a good job of getting themselves entrenched into most enterprise IT shops.

As devices like iPads and yet-to-be-named Android tablets gain in popularity, IT will have to support them. Fortunately for all of us, that means all of our phones will be supported to. I believe blackberries may be supported to, but they will no longer have a reason to be. People will gleefully toss the worthless hunks of plastic right into the river.

HP was one of the anchors on the race to the bottom in PCs, and only recently tried to turn it around. It will be interesting to see what HP shows up to the mobile game.

Them's some brave comments on the death of RIM...
  • Reply 73 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I'm getting the 64gig ipad with wifi+3G in 3 months.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Get it today

Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Should be a Apple-HP alliance to develop compatible apps for both platform; to counter the back-stabbing Google dark empire.

Apparently Apple tried to buy Palm? Was that proven to be true?

At this stage, Apple would want nothing to do with HP, I imagine...
  • Reply 74 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

Palm didn't need to buy ads. Every single news outlet in the Western World was giving them oodles of free advertising hyping up the iPhone Killer. You could't turn on a TV without being told how good the Pre supposedly was.

There's the problem though, the Pre was virtually unheard of outside the US. Android manufacturers and Apple have a massive international market to tap. HP of course has access to this global market, more so than Palm could ever have dreamed of.

But as another poster mentioned, there's quite a bit of work to do leading up to the next generation of shipping WebOS products, etc.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    Who is this bold guy? I prefer to buy products which are shown by Asian women.

• Reply 76 of 87
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

How many more arms and legs can a Black Knight have?

Love the Python referrence.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Should be a Apple-HP alliance to develop compatible apps for both platform; to counter the back-stabbing Google dark empire.

I don't think so!

They only thing Apple and HP have in common at this point is that they both started in garages in the valley.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Objectivity? My god man, you must be insane...!

I few of us have been saying that about him for awhile now. But, carry on...
  • Reply 79 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The way things are looking right now is that end of 2010 ms will release a platform with a 2008 feature set, in a market that is twice a competitive as it was 2 years back. I wish them all the luck, and they will probably make some inroads, at least in the corporate business, but I most definitely wouldn't bet the farm on WP7 becoming a serious competitor to any of the 3 'big guys' out there right now (not counting symbian or meego since they both have insignificant market share in the smartphone business)

People said that about the 1st iPhone too. ?It didn?t have x-feature so it <insert adjective>?, ?y-phone had this feature z-years ago?, et cetera. Hopefully MS?s WP& team has learned from the iPhone and are perfecting the core features before expanding to new territory. So far, everything I?ve seen looks promising for corporate interest.

As for the ?Big 3?, when it comes to the business world I don?t see Android?s lack of control or security being an interest to many large companies, but I can see BB OS, WP7 and iOS being the leaders on this front.

Some general questions to anyone:

1) How much marketshare does Windows Mobil still control in the business world?

2) How much does Android control?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But as another poster mentioned, there's quite a bit of work to do leading up to the next generation of shipping WebOS products, etc.

Hopefully Palm started working on a tablet version of WebOS by the time the Apple Tablet rumours were in full swing. If not then, hopefully they started after seeing the iPad. With this market segment being a complete failure for desktop OSes for that past decade Palm should have seen Apple?s iPad as a great opportunity for them, the way Google saw the iPhone in 2007 and began to redesign it to accommodate a new era in consumer friendly smartphones.

Hopefully...
  • Reply 80 of 87
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I don't think so!

They only thing Apple and HP have in common at this point is that they both started in garages in the valley.

... both had Woz as an employee!