Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page

Comments

• Reply 41 of 278
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

All phones suffer from death grip.

Only the iPhone 4 suffers from the finger of death (and it's not that common):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw

This is not the case any more. The largest drop with 4.0.1 is two bars.

Quote:

Why is everyone (including Apple) obsessed with death grip when it isn't the real issue here?

Because in real life people don't hold their phones with one finger.
  • Reply 42 of 278
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Stop being bitching about it on an internet forum and get yourself a free battery from Apple. As or lying, I have to think your comment is a lie as an expanding battery is a fire hazard, has 300 to 1000 cycle doubt before it will only charge to 80% and therefor are replaced with very little effort from a consumer who expresses that.

Haha, love "cretins law"

And yet somehow I am always sucked into the vortex of degrading conversation.
  • Reply 43 of 278
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Joe,

the applecare warranty just covers failing parts, not accidental damages

make sure you're reading the fine print.

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:

(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider),

this is the part you have to be aware of "Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident"

in other words, don't drop a phone made of glass!

Sorry, my mistake.

either way my 'local apple store' didn't seem to care and gave me a replacement phone a few months back despite that it was caused by accidental damage.

the people in stores often don't seem to read the fine print either \
  • Reply 44 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Because in real life people don't hold their phones with one finger.

Here here! Who cares if it's one finger or your whole hand? You hold the phone with your HAND, so if it's your palm, your finger or whatever blocking the antenna, the issue is the same. I actually find shifting one finger a tiny distance easier than moving my palm to another part of the phone.

I don't know why I give in to this arguing. Clearly it's an issue for a small percentage of people. It's not for me, or millions of other users. Return the phone and stop whining. Apple made a decision in their phone construction. Enjoy it or don't. It's that simple. It really is. Companies make decisions every day that enhance parts of their products, sometimes at the expense of others. It's the way things work. Nothings going to be predict, ever, so stop acting like kits the end of the world, or be prepared to act that way the rest of your life.
  • Reply 45 of 278
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Yeah, we're back to the bars displayed under iPhone OS 2.1 and earlier. Apple was criticized upon release of 2.2 in the summer of '08 for having artificially increased the number of bars to make AT&T's coverage look better. So much for Apple's now being "stunned" by a bars "bug".
  • Reply 46 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Here here! Who cares if it's one finger or your whole hand? You hold the phone with your HAND, so if it's your palm, your finger or whatever blocking the antenna, the issue is the same. I actually find shifting one finger a tiny distance easier than moving my palm to another part of the phone.

I don't know why I give in to this arguing. Clearly it's an issue for a small percentage of people. It's not for me, or millions of other users. Return the phone and stop whining. Apple made a decision in their phone construction. Enjoy it or don't. It's that simple. It really is. Companies make decisions every day that enhance parts of their products, sometimes at the expense of others. It's the way things work. Nothings going to be predict, ever, so stop acting like kits the end of the world, or be prepared to act that way the rest of your life.

So many typos in my histeria, haha!

Predict - perfect

Kits - it's

My bad.
  • Reply 47 of 278
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

I had that problem four days after I got my iPhone 4. I opened my car door and my phone slid out of my pocket and landed on my drive way and basically shattered the back. I called apple and they told me I would have to pay 199 to get a replacement. So the following Saturday I went to the apple store to throw a stink when they were busy but I ended up not having to. I was in the middle of telling them what happened when the genius interrupted me and just said they will replace it no questions asked. Im pretty happy with their response.

I had a similar experience with Apple's Genius Bar. My MacBook was having issues with the display. It was 45 days past the 1-year warranty. Apple waived the "standard" $275 maintenance fee and I had the repaired MacBook mailed to my house in 3 business days. Apple takes care of their customers. So I'm not surprised by your story.
  • Reply 48 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Yeah, we're back to the bars displayed under iPhone OS 2.1 and earlier. Apple was criticized upon release of 2.2 in the summer of '08 for having artificially increased the number of bars to make AT&T's coverage look better. So much for Apple's now being "stunned" by a bars "bug".

I do agree with you that this misrepresentation of the bars was intentional by Apple to make AT&T looks better but this is another issue. Right now the iPhone 4 doesn't drop 5 bars at once.
  • Reply 49 of 278
    He'll hath no fury like a Jobs scorned!

Interesting poll today in our national rag has the iPhone as the coolest thing on the planet. Apple at no.2 and iPod as no.4.

And all this despite the hysteria.

These phone videos on Apples website just make those that are trying to kill the iPhone look really stupid.

Slightly off thread: I have been trying vodafone sim only on the ip4 and decided after 20 or so days it wasn't for me. Went to the store to cancel and the automaton behind the counter went straight into iPhone bashing mode.

When I tried to explain the reason I wanted to cancel was due to the Vodafone network being weak in my area he immediately advised me to visit the apple website and apply for a bumper. When I showed him the iPhone already had a bumper he shut up. I then went on to say I haven't dropped a call but found surfing the net at home poor on Vodafone but great at work 25 miles up the road. That's why Im sticking with 02.

I was astonished that the carriers are jumping on the antenna hysteria even though they sell the iPhone. It's like they're trained to protect the network coverage at all costs.
  • Reply 50 of 278
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

I do agree with you that this misrepresentation of the bars was intentional by Apple to make AT&T looks better but this is another issue. Right now the iPhone 4 doesn't drop 5 bars at once.

Yes, aside from Apple's honesty and forthrightness, the real issue is the magnitude of the signal attenuation, which is unchanged in iOS 4.0.1, because it's a hardware/design problem. The iPhone 4 is perhaps worst in class for attenuation, and it is more of an issue because a mere touch of a finger is all that's required.
  • Reply 51 of 278
    Quote:

Yes, the real issue is the magnitude of the signal attenuation, which is unchanged in iOS 4.0.1. The iPhone 4 is perhaps worst in class in this area and is more of an issue because a finger touch is all that's required.

I wouldn't call it worst in class and a touch by a finger is again irrelevant in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogM4Wu51tc
  • Reply 52 of 278
    Quote:

Yes, aside from Apple's honesty and forthrightness, the real issue is the magnitude of the signal attenuation, which is unchanged in iOS 4.0.1, because it's a hardware/design problem. The iPhone 4 is perhaps worst in class for attenuation, and it is more of an issue because a mere touch of a finger is all that's required.

Broken record...

It's "worse in class" in a problem that occurs a fraction of the time and rarely even results in dropping a call and can be fixed by buying a bumper or shifting your finger. Meanwhile, it outclasses other phones in almost every other arena. Like I said before, a gain in most areas at the expense of a tiny one.
  • Reply 53 of 278
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I've noticed people here trying to make an issue out of the glass used in iPhone 4. Pleas give it a rest.

First i've dropped my 3G several times on concrete and have had no issues. That is without a case. A friend dropped hers once and completely shattered the glass.

Glass is a funny thing but in the case of iPhone 4 we are not dealling with ordinary glass. If the glass does become an issue it would be worth a discussion, but there is little evidence that it is a problem. So can it, the last thing we need is another baseless problem for the media to focus on.

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 278
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is one bit of logic that no one can deny. Apple is the only one getting bad press regarding this issue. Apple is the only one that had to hold a press conference and then give something away to attempt to make the problem better. HTC, Motorola, Google have not had to say a word when it comes to their own products.

Bad press is nothing new for Apple. Superior craftsmanship and innovating ideas are most often incomprehensible to those being threatened by them.

The idea for Apple is to get a handle on the noise machine and steer it little by little, piece by piece toward a product that is music to the ear of the end user.

Sometimes, like antenna gate, the process is reversed; music to the ear of the end user exerts a natural dampening effect on hysterical, self-serving noise artifacts. And a free case to seal the noise out of the deal. For good.

But both processes can't begin to address the endemic self-perpetuating raucous of the layman's whining fest.
  • Reply 55 of 278
    dasjettadasjetta Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Yes, correct. It's a light touch (reproducible with a single finger) rather than some kind of hard grip that causes problems with some iPhone 4 units.

This is the difference between the iPhone 4 and other phones.

And yet, Apple and others are still posting video after video showing someone purposefully gripping onto phones tight in order to show dropped bars. That's not the issue that was originally reported at all!

Well I can't speak for you of course but I for one intend to hold my phone in such a manner as to have a firm grip on it so I don't drop it. I can't buy insurance on this phone through AT&T to cover such a loss so I have to be careful with it. A dainty hold on such an expensive phone is not something I feel comfortable with.
  • Reply 56 of 278
    buzzmegabuzzmega Posts: 66member
    If Motorola follows the crowd, they'll squawk at Apple for having slammed them with this. As have all the others.

But where were they when all the slings and arrows were landing on Apple's head? The industry as a whole has shown how easy it is to live in denial. Then slam any industry participant that dares to reveal an industry family secret.

Don't touch my seam. I might lose one call in a hundred...
  • Reply 57 of 278
    buzzmegabuzzmega Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Yes, correct. It's a light touch (reproducible with a single finger) rather than some kind of hard grip that causes problems with some iPhone 4 units.

This is the difference between the iPhone 4 and other phones.

I've tried and tried. I get only 4 bars here and no amount of light touching causes any signal attenuation at all. What am I doing wrong/right?
  • Reply 58 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

I've tried and tried. I get only 4 bars here and no amount of light touching causes any signal attenuation at all. What am I doing wrong/right?

Nothing. You're like 95% of users who have no problem.

• Reply 59 of 278
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcs123 View Post

nothing. You're like 95% of users who have no problem.

99.45%
  • Reply 60 of 278
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously folks the issue with the various death grips should not surprise anybody. All one needs to do is watch the little dances people do in low signal areas to get a connection. It is so common people don't realize that they are actively seeking to optimize antenna performance.

As to touching the seam that is a separte issue as has already been pointed out. The thing here is the user has some responsibility to uses his %}{{^~ brains. I'm sorry folks but if you have come to the realization that touching the insullator affects reception, in your area, you have the responsibility and freedom to stop doing that.

This can be likened to the guy that buys a power saw and touches the blade realizing it is sharp. He then takes this sharp power saw and cuts wood with it, which again should cause one to think this cuts quickly. If this person after all of this cuts off his finger is it really the manufactures fault. A product liability lawyer will go out of his way to prove the case that it is. But from the perspective of the average person if you do something stupid who is to blame. The same could be said for yhose buying dirt bikes, which by the way can be fun. But we all know the guy that cant seem to control himself and ends up taking a trip to the hospital. We dont blame the motorcycle manufacture here do we?

Yet here with iPhone 4 we have people insisting that it is Apples fault that something bad happens when that insullator is touched. Sadly this is after people have learned that doing so causes problems in their location. Again to use motorcycles as an example it is like somebody grabbing a hot muffler and then blaming Harley or Honda for getting burned. If you know of a hot spot you should really avoid touching it.

Dave

well thought out post.

Apple did nothing wrong at all

yet fires still rage all around this non issue .

The real issue here is.

Will apple thru the 3g 4g/7g world become the new defacto gatekeeper for free video calls ??

Included on all future devices ???

I mean all of them ...

including the nano !!!

peace