Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page

Comments

• Reply 81 of 278
    Try that replacement trick with an uninsured phone of other manufactre
  • Reply 82 of 278
    jbfromozjbfromoz Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

No, antennagate is about the Finger of Death, not about the deathgrip. Steve Jobs snookered his loyal followers into thinking that Apple is just like everyone else. WRONG. Only the iPhone 4 has the Finger of Death.

Show me another phone which you can touch with one finger and the signal goes to zero.

i think the only person to try making a phone call with one finger was E.T. and he was just trying to get away from Drew Barrymore... oh, and place a call to his home planet, why he failed wasn't the finger of death, but because the attenuation of the signal while trying to place a call with Saturn out of alignment with Uranus.. and then.. he got cancer of the finger... Moral of the story, stop trying to break it, and make a call already..
  • Reply 83 of 278
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

All phones suffer from death grip.

Only the iPhone 4 suffers from the finger of death (and it's not that common):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw

Why is everyone (including Apple) obsessed with death grip when it isn't the real issue here?

You're wasting your breath, the majority of people here don't want to understand the difference
  • Reply 84 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Wow. Logical fallacy.

You can't really compare toyotas safety issues with apple's antenna sensitivity. They are vastly different in every way. The main one being that Toyota had nobody to point a finger at. The antenna problem is an industry wide phenomena, to some extent. Apple is mearly trying to show that they are being singled out for a problem that all phones have, even if it's not as extreme. Toyota had nobody else having the same or even marginally similar serious problems.

Whether it was ethically right for apple to drag other people into the fray is questionable, but most of the companies entered it willingly to trash apple. But comparing them to Toyota is a bit extreme and logically fallacious.

True.... Witness the Nokia website. The reason they are so upset is that Apple demonstrated that, despite Nokia's claims otherwise, their phones attenuate also, perhaps not with one finger..... but who can hold a phone with one finger. This whole thing is only noticed by most because they began checking something that others had a problem. Design flaw.... OK, but only Apple has made good on a fix of any sort, I never check bars, I just dial. This whole issue is not about all us self appointed pundit and champions of our favorite phone. It's about getting consumer dollars away from a wildly successful company's pocket and into their own.
  • Reply 85 of 278
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Todays CEOs are kind of clueless.

That's a big call, got some examples to back the claim up?
  • Reply 86 of 278
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

All phones suffer from death grip.

Only the iPhone 4 suffers from the finger of death (and it's not that common):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw

Why is everyone (including Apple) obsessed with death grip when it isn't the real issue here?

That's it exactly, well done.

I want Apple to show a single finger death touch on a Droid X, Nexus One, Evo 4G etc. Somehow I suspect they can't do that.
  • Reply 87 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Wow. Logical fallacy.

You can't really compare toyotas safety issues with apple's antenna sensitivity. They are vastly different in every way. The main one being that Toyota had nobody to point a finger at. The antenna problem is an industry wide phenomena, to some extent. Apple is mearly trying to show that they are being singled out for a problem that all phones have, even if it's not as extreme. Toyota had nobody else having the same or even marginally similar serious problems.

Whether it was ethically right for apple to drag other people into the fray is questionable, but most of the companies entered it willingly to trash apple. But comparing them to Toyota is a bit extreme and logically fallacious.

...BUT, does the toyota get signal attenuation?
  • Reply 88 of 278
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knot2bfound View Post

...BUT, does the toyota get signal attenuation?

no

what TOYota does get is brake failure at 60 miles per on choked pacted hway with your wife and kids in the car .yay !! these antenna yokes have no sence of danger like us .

its a great wonderful japanese game that we in america can also play.

like pet rock and hair spray in a can

this antenna stuff is beyond stupid

post after post

topic after topic

stupid after stupid

• Reply 89 of 278
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

this antenna issue seems to be put to rest at this point.

now the real drama coming next is the glass.

dropping an iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS has never been a cause for concern. now with the iPhone 4 it will be a major headache going forward.

drop your phone and crack or shatter it and bam! you're out of $199 for a replacement. no sympathy, you broke it you pay!

interesting months are ahead!

Solution if you are clumsy don't buy it.
  • Reply 90 of 278
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Jobs is playing a dangerous game here. He's risking Apple's reputation with ordinary consumers.

anyone with 2500 post should know better ..

getting caught up idiot level hype

dude

no one has given back the phone

people who own the phone are having a blast

a few loud assholes seek to market the .....into a real issue .

i will remind you of this post 4 months from now

peace dude

• Reply 91 of 278
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Jobs is playing a dangerous game here. He's risking Apple's reputation with ordinary consumers.

Oh please. Ordinary customers could not care less about Apple's death grip page. As long as Apple continues to produce state-of-the-art products, this, or nothing else matters.

- Satisfied iPhone 4 fanboi
  • Reply 92 of 278
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

this antenna stuff is beyond stupid

post after post

topic after topic

stupid after stupid

I agree with you. Solutions to the affected customers were offered, questions were answered. Ever since, any further news about antennas and death grips are boring and stupid.

Including the OP.
  • Reply 93 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

anyone with 2500 post should know better

I see no correlation between common sense and post count.
  • Reply 94 of 278
    joshbjoshb Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Actually, the iPhone 4 is the only phone in existence which loses 5 bars when a single finger touches the insulator between the two external antennae, without even holding the phone.

The more Apple is trying to divert attention away from its idiotic design flaw, the more hilarious it's getting.

I guess what's most hilarious is that I just held a single finger on the "bridging spot of doom" and waited for over 2 minutes. Didn't lose one bar. For the record, I'm left-handed and did the "grip of death" and have done it NUMEROUS times. I lose one or two bars while doing that (just like other phones), but nothing with the 1 finger.

Giving my phone the finger didn't work for me. I guess it did for you, huh?
  • Reply 95 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

That's it exactly, well done.

I want Apple to show a single finger death touch on a Droid X, Nexus One, Evo 4G etc. Somehow I suspect they can't do that.

Wtf does it matter if it's a single finger or a palm? Everyone I know holds their phone with their palm - not a single finger. If touching your phone in a certain area causes problems, either hold it different, get a case, or take the damn thing back - regardless of who manufacturers it.

At the end of the day, it's still a damn cell phone - trivial.
  • Reply 96 of 278
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What's this then?

How about that, it's a Nokia user forum where someone is complaining about the bars dropping on an N97 Mini in January this year.

There's even a suggested solution which involves how to hold the phone, all before the iPhone 4 was even released (or found in a bar).

Amazing that Nokia never heard of it as the forum is hosted on their site.

You were saying?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

>Two other vendors included in Apple's original video comparisons were also quick to issue press releases that suggested they've never heard of signal attenuation issues from their customers.

Well, that is maybe because they did not have a system in place through which the customers could do it...

• Reply 97 of 278
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Bad press is nothing new for Apple. Superior craftsmanship and innovating ideas are most often incomprehensible to those being threatened by them.

The idea for Apple is to get a handle on the noise machine and steer it little by little, piece by piece toward a product that is music to the ear of the end user.

Sometimes, like antenna gate, the process is reversed; music to the ear of the end user exerts a natural dampening effect on hysterical, self-serving noise artifacts. And a free case to seal the noise out of the deal. For good.

But both processes can't begin to address the endemic self-perpetuating raucous of the layman's whining fest.

Bad press may be nothing new for Apple but its new for them being on top. Based on market cap they are now considered the biggest tech company in the world. Apple has lost the advantage of being the underdog to big bad Microsoft and now the media is going to be looking to knock them off the mountain every chance they get. That is just simply how the game works.

Also while Apple fanboys may be loyal when there is even a rumor of a problem they bitch more then your average school girl.
  • Reply 98 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshb View Post

I guess what's most hilarious is that I just held a single finger on the "bridging spot of doom" and waited for over 2 minutes. Didn't lose one bar. For the record, I'm left-handed and did the "grip of death" and have done it NUMEROUS times. I lose one or two bars while doing that (just like other phones), but nothing with the 1 finger.

Giving my phone the finger didn't work for me. I guess it did for you, huh?

Mine doesn't drop no matter how I hold it. The experts keep telling me it's cause I'm in an area with strong signals, but I've tested it in areas with poor coverage, too.

Overblown, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 99 of 278
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True, but that?s why they are on the defensive here, to show they are not alone.

None of really matters as they have been beaten by the media since day one about iPhone reception and call issues yet continue to be the most profitable, highest selling single unit smartphone maker on the planet. There isn?t a handset vendor in the world that wouldn?t change places with Apple on it?s worse day right now.

I would agree there isnt a company out there wouldn't mind having the "problems" Apple is having...lol.

Its just funny to me that once you get on top the media is right there to try and knock you off the mountain.

It will all come down to if the consume buys into the media hype or not. I am not sure if it was a good idea for Apple to offer something for free only because it makes them look even more guilty as if there is a wide spread problem and they are trying to cover it up.

If its truly only impacting less then .5% of iPhone users then I wouldn't have given shit away.
  • Reply 100 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

iPhone 4s have a one year wannanty- that includes cover if you drop it.

AppleCare covers failing parts, not falling parts.

Maybe Apple should have handed out wrist straps rather than cases?