Apple opens new iPad-like MobileMe Calendar beta

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Can you subscribe to calenders yet? I can't find a way to do it in the current MobileMe Calendar app.

(Note: I've only been using MobileMe for the past week.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I got my invitation a day or two ago, but I am not sure what all the fuss is about because it seems little more than a cosmetic facelift. Sure, they put CalDAV as the underpinning, but how does that help people who need to work with CalDAV servers?

Maybe I am missing something, but there is still no way to get bi-directional synchronization between MobileMe calendar and office CalDAV servers such as Zimbra. I can sync Zimbra with iCal, but that cannot be synchronized with MobileMe and so MobileMe seems pretty much useless for anyone who relies on CalDAV servers.

It is more than a cosmetic facelift. You can now share calendars with others who are part of the Beta program. You can give them read and write or just read only permissions.

Now I no longer need the Snow Leopard Server running the iCal server. It broke when I updated to 10.6.4 anyway. They obviously were paving the way for this. I wonder what the future of the Mac server software is now. They never really seemed to put their full effort into it.

Now the problem I have is that my wife did not request a Beta invite. So I am updated to the new iCal sharing feature yet, I can't share with her because we have to wait for the invite. I wonder if it will really take 2 weeks? Anyone know of a way to force the upgrade?

Just found this on their site:

Quote:

To sign up, go to me.com/calendar and click "Request an invitation." You will receive an email notification when you have been added to the beta (we will add members in the order of their request over the coming weeks).

• Reply 22 of 34
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Want week or day numbers, year view, etc., there is a Feedback button in the lower left corner.

Of course you have to have MobileMe in the first place.

For further info, FAQ is a great place to start. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4037?viewlocale=en_US
  • Reply 23 of 34
    There's no exchange support and worse, it disables exchange support. WTF apple?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination but I do use iCal quite a bit for "to do's and since I got my iPad I've had nothing but trouble syncing between my iPhone, iMac and iPad. Since the beta it's been all good.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but the iPad was the culprit. I never had any trouble with the iPhone/iMac. Whatever it was the new beta configuration seemed to iron it out.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I received mine today, but I have a couple of Leopard Machines sync through mobileme, a fairly big number of back events and then sync one of the Snow Leopard machines with google calendars through busysync. Sometimes I edit a bunch of entries with bento.

I think I'll wait.

Still have not seen an invitation. I use MobileMe to sync a Mac, iPad and touch. Been a subscriber since Day One. I'd probably wait too, but it looks like I won't have a choice. Strange, eh?

Also wondering when iCal will be upgraded to conform to the new interface.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Said this before, will say this again. Please update iCal to this as well. Thank you.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Hey, thats almost the same calendar date footer that I did create in my app last year.

Can I sue them? \
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I sense a UI change coming on...

(as in, for all OS X or iOS)
  • Reply 29 of 34
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    well, call me names, but as long as .me is not free (or at least acceptable cheap), it's a no-use service for me anyways, even I have several iDevices. For now, I'll stay with the other free services as they are doing almost as good as .me

Enjoy!
  • Reply 30 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Want week or day numbers, year view, etc., there is a Feedback button in the lower left corner.

Of course you have to have MobileMe in the first place.

For further info, FAQ is a great place to start. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4037?viewlocale=en_US

Thanks for pointing this out. And the link. I did put in the request for week numbers. Actually right from iCal 1.0 Currently I am using iCal 3.0.8 but still no week numbers. Did give feedback through MobileMe as well. I just hope it won't take another xx years before we get week numbers.

Just don't understand why they don't add it. On the iPad there is room for it. On MobileMe there's room for it. iCal as well. Maybe it's a bit more challenging for the iPhone. List view is easy. Day view as well. Month view I wouldn't know where to put the week numbers in. But of course is can be done.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    All this MobileMe updates are so undewhelming, one can hardly even call them updates to be frank.

MobileMe is one part of apple that requires some injection of talent, flair, and vision. It'not that bad, but it sure is underwhelming by apple standards.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thanks for pointing this out. And the link. I did put in the request for week numbers. Actually right from iCal 1.0 Currently I am using iCal 3.0.8 but still no week numbers. Did give feedback through MobileMe as well. I just hope it won't take another xx years before we get week numbers.

Just don't understand why they don't add it. On the iPad there is room for it. On MobileMe there's room for it. iCal as well. Maybe it's a bit more challenging for the iPhone. List view is easy. Day view as well. Month view I wouldn't know where to put the week numbers in. But of course is can be done.

As with most things that Apple produces, less is better.

As the adage goes, the more choices one has the longer it takes to make a decision.

If I look through my old and new appointment books, I have only found one that has day/week numbers. So I would imagine that it isn't a feature that many people ask for.

In the interim, may I suggest DesktopCalendar. It is a ittle calendar application which changes your desktop into a calendar. It also shows today's date on the Dock or menu bar. And you can select show week numbers*. Great app. Have been using it on all my Macs for nearly 10 years now.

http://mac.sixfiles.com/dbase/files/...pcalendar.html

*To use ISO week number, check 'Use ISO week numbers' on the Week Number preference pane. Lot of customization available.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I just received the invitation.

If I accept does this mean I won't be able to sync or edit my calendar from my work account on the exchange server on my iPad or iPhone? Hopefully this a stupid question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

As with most things that Apple produces, less is better.

As the adage goes, the more choices one has the longer it takes to make a decision.

If I look through my old and new appointment books, I have only found one that has day/week numbers. So I would imagine that it isn't a feature that many people ask for.

In the interim, may I suggest DesktopCalendar. It is a ittle calendar application which changes your desktop into a calendar. It also shows today's date on the Dock or menu bar. And you can select show week numbers*. Great app. Have been using it on all my Macs for nearly 10 years now.

http://mac.sixfiles.com/dbase/files/...pcalendar.html

*To use ISO week number, check 'Use ISO week numbers' on the Week Number preference pane. Lot of customization available.

Thank you Onhka! I will check out the sixfiles.com site.

Perhaps the companies that I have worked for are not your tipical American companies. Then again; I work for a lot of Dutch companies who do use weeknumbers a lot. So yeah, I Will be happy if Apple implements it as an option. But your view on 'the more choices' is very true indeed.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie