Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page

Comments

• Reply 201 of 278
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The lies are starting to pile up in this thread. Now the haters are pretending to own the very device that they love to hate. One even overheard a sales associates steering potential customers away from the iPhone 4 - at not one, but two different stores. Now, after 4 weeks of referencing Consumer Reports et al., they've managed to score the sold out phone - an attempt to muster credibility? You betcha.

You people are ridiculous. Fail!
  • Reply 202 of 278
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The lies are starting to pile up in this thread. Now the haters are pretending to own the very device that they love to hate. One even overheard a sales associates steering potential customers away from the iPhone 4 - at not one, but two different stores. Now, after 4 weeks of referencing Consumer Reports et al., they've managed to score the sold out phone - an attempt to muster credibility? You betcha.

You people are ridiculous. Fail!

Postulant: a person admitted to a religious order as a probationary candidate for membership

Keep the faith... If you continue with such baseless/blind fanatical rants, it's certain that the truly 'Apple Elite' will someday increase your probationary status to that of a full-fledged member.

Ridiculous Indeed!
  • Reply 203 of 278
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

And if the mechanic lied to you and says "don't worry; all cars do that; let me show you videos of a Mercedes not running, and another of a Lexus not running..." would you exhibit such lemming-like incuriousness?

I've said this before here, but I'll say it again: just saying something involving two products does not an analogy make; the situations have to actually be analogous. The above is not actually an analogy; it's just a different situation involving two products.

A valid analogy with cars might be something like: all rear wheel drive cars suffer from oversteer. (That may not be strictly true, but it is something that affects many rear wheel drive cars in certain conditions.) The cars run, you can drive them, but there can be some handling problems under certain conditions.

Your "analogy" would only be a valid analogy if it were the case that iP4s didn't actually work at all. See the difference? There, you got schooled for free.
  • Reply 204 of 278
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Keep the faith... If you continue with such baseless/blind fanatical rants, it's certain that the truly 'Apple Elite' will someday increase your probationary status to that of a full-fledged member.

Thanks for the chuckle...
  • Reply 205 of 278
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Too bad a lot of the Google Applications are exclusive to America, it's a very different experience in Australia, there are a lot of demo's, themes and ringtone makers which seem to dominate.

Prices are all over the place in euro's, dollars. pounds and zlotls for all I know

I've tried with a HTC Magic, Legend and SonyEricsson X10.

It is so much easier to plug a new iPhone into iTunes and hit sync.

Quote:

As an avid customer of both 'markets', the truth is that the Android Market has a much larger percentage of quality apps that are either free of charge or priced less than their functionally-equal versions in the Apple Apps Store. As a matter of fact, some of the better GOOGLE Experience apps (Goggles, Talk, Voice, and Full TbT Navigation with Google Maps, etc.) have no real Apple Apps Store equivalents, and are Still Free.

Note: There's no better perspective than that of one having extensive experience with both environments.

• Reply 206 of 278
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    There are two sides to every story. Every smartphone has reception issues under the wrong circumstances. But the iPhone 4 does have a unique problem. I found a summary of articles that look at the issue from both sides:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100725180015
  • Reply 207 of 278
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    How would that be lying?

A car not running is a car not running.

A phone dropping bars is a phone dropping bars.

There is no lying involved.

Quote:

And if the mechanic lied to you and says "don't worry; all cars do that; let me show you videos of a Mercedes not running, and another of a Lexus not running..." would you exhibit such lemming-like incuriousness?

• Reply 208 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Thanks for the chuckle...

Being an optimist, he's finally figured out how to use a search engine so perhaps he'll learn to utilize it before posting nonsense like this in the future.
  • Reply 209 of 278
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There are two sides to every story. Every smartphone has reception issues under the wrong circumstances. But the iPhone 4 does have a unique problem. I found a summary of articles that look at the issue from both sides:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100725180015

"Looking at the issue from both sides" does not mean that an accurate picture is painted. Just the fact that the site uses the label "fanboys" betrays the bias inherent in the listing of articles.

The next dirty little secret is that each of these phones that drop bars when held in certain ways has a unique problem. So either they are all unique, in which case the iP4 being unique doesn't make it's behavior a case apart, or they aren't, including the iP4, really unique in a meaningful way, and once again, the iP4's behavior is not a case apart. In other words, your point is meaningless because of its triviality.
  • Reply 210 of 278
    Quote:

Users should never have to be told how to hold their phone, as it should be engineered to function efficiently no matter how it's held (within reason).

Well, dreams are free! Many phones DO have explicit instructions about how to hold or not hold the phone so as not to interfere with the antenna. ALL phones suffer signal loss when held in a certain way. It's physics.
  • Reply 211 of 278
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    If it does it, it does it. A friend got a droid X recently and loves it...except she says the phone part is absolutely horrible.
  • Reply 212 of 278
    Quote:

The solution already exists: Put The Antenna(s) Back Inside The Handset.

Note: ...and there's probably no way to legitimately patent common sense.

Are you sure? As far as I can tell the Droid has the antenna on the inside and loses signal when being held normally.
  • Reply 213 of 278
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

I'd say a better analogy would be a user saying "Hey, my car's milage in the city is worse than it gets on the highway! Fix my defective car!"
  • Reply 214 of 278
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post

A bit harsh when someone is just quoting another article. But hey, that same blog has a couple of articles that are pro-Apple:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100718025521

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100724101442

Kinda defeats the notion about inherent bias.

Thanks, man. My point exactly. Glad to see not everyone is clouded by one-sided passion, not that passion is a bad thing.
  • Reply 215 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

My 2008 Mac Book battery has expanded within the computer and the Apple online tech guy said it was a normal occurrence for safety reasons. That was a lie. The battery only had 19 cycles on it since it is mostly used as a desktop computer. If Apple doesn't acknowledge this as a defective unit after only 19 months I'll stop dealing with Apple too. I didn't buy Applecare. I dual booted Linux on an HP computer in part because of this situation. I'm preparing to give up on Apple if they don't act responsibly and replace this defective battery.

I think you misunderstand how Li-ion batteries work.

A 19 month old battery with only 19 cycles is EXACTLY how to kill a battery. Li-ion batteries hate to be float charged all the time without cycling. Your battery would be doing much better if you had cycled it more often. I'd make sure you cycle it once a week minimum. In fact your macbook manual tells you this, so you can't blame apple.
  • Reply 216 of 278
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    I keep coming back to these articles to see if the postings are still lame. They are...especially all the "analogies" of crashing cars, cars not running, pickles not dill enough, shirt collars not stiff enough. But I digress. Maybe Monday's articles will bring some fresh discussion topics. The iPhone antenna story is done. Stick a fork in it.
  • Reply 217 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post

Putting on a case effectively puts the antenna inside!

Which is exactly why Apple decided to Give Them Out For Free until they can reengineer the antenna system.
  • Reply 218 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I keep coming back to these articles to see if the postings are still lame. They are...especially all the "analogies" of crashing cars, cars not running, pickles not dill enough, shirt collars not stiff enough. But I digress. Maybe Monday's articles will bring some fresh discussion topics. The iPhone antenna story is done. Stick a fork in it.

Just don't stick said fork near the area on the iPhone 4 that easily attenuates when covered...
  • Reply 219 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Being an optimist, he's finally figured out how to use a search engine so perhaps he'll learn to utilize it before posting nonsense like this in the future.

Now that's some serious trolling you're doing there...

You might at least try to stay on topic, rather than just causing disruptions by posting irrelevant, inflammatory, extraneous, and off -topic messages.
  • Reply 220 of 278
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Just don't stick said fork near the area on the iPhone 4 that easily attenuates when covered...

It's still done. There's no more story here. Well I did hear that each iP4 now comes with a piece of silly putty to appease the people who aren't buying one anyway.