Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page

Comments

• Reply 241 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Or The Walrus perhaps...

But no, the comment was about anonymouse answering for you. I have a feeling you already knew that, though it may be you hadn't seen that possibility. However, you probably do now.

It's interesting how many times posters address something explicitly to another, yet that person doesn't answer it and instead some other poster answers for them.

Sort of a 'tag-team smackdown' approach to forum responses.

FYI: This is an open, public forum. All comments and queries, even when quoting another user in the reply are for all to read and comment. If one wants private discourse they should create a PM or use IM or email, if they are offered up that information, and expect others to do the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Voltron? He's the 4th musketeer, right?

I think that’s Voldemort.

PS: Well, DaHarder and Chopper have seen to it that Cretin’s Law is in effect so I’ll be ignoring this thread until it’s back on topic.

PPS: I blame the Nazis! (now Godwin’s Law has been invoked).
  • Reply 242 of 278
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

So you're solipsism as well as anonymouse? If I ever get the 85 spare days or so I'd need to count them, I promise faithfully to do just that. Meantime I'll take your obviously well-documented count with the trust that I know you'd extend to me.

I was under the impression that this 'duality of personality' was already widely known, as he/she slips up often enough to make it rather obvious.

Well, I guess it's one way to always ensure that there'll be post to substatiate your claims, regardless of their validity...
  • Reply 243 of 278
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny coming from you. What? You don't like having it pointed out how ridiculous you are? There's a solution to that, and it's already been suggested to you.

... and from which of your many AI Screen names did this 'pointing out' originate?

It's sometimes difficult to keep track since you have so many -
  • Reply 244 of 278
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    An ignore button.

Quote:

Thanks.

So, anything interesting in my profile?

• Reply 245 of 278
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FYI: This is an open, public forum. All comments and queries, even when quoting another user in the reply are for all to read and comment. If one wants private discourse they should create a PM or use IM or email, if they are offered up that information, and expect others to do the same.

Poor attempt at a strawman. I was looking for public discourse with you, which is why the comment isn't a PM, so your comment is moot. It's telling that you chose not to respond to that post, but you're happy to put up a strawman to demolish.

• Reply 246 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

An ignore button.

There's an ignore button in my profile?
  • Reply 247 of 278
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Your the one that's confused.

The issue isn't the "finger of death." The issue is blocking the signal by means of the users hand, and related to that, the dropping of calls.

Apple's antenna is on the outside, therefore it's more sensitive to the issue. No one at Apple has ever denied that, they have even touted the extra sensitivity as a good thing. All phones have the issue, most of the time they don't drop calls however.

If you hold the iPhone in a natural way, it won't suffer from this and won't drop calls. If you insist on holding your finger over the antenna, it will drop bars, but for the most part still won't drop the call. If you are in a marginal signal area while participating in such hijinks, you might drop the call.

I hold my iPhone in my left hand exclusively while making a call but I never get my fingers near that spot unless I contort myself on purpose. It's a non-issue because it's almost impossible to reproduce for the vast majority of users.

I feel sorry for you if you hold your phone that way and also live in a low signal area, but that doesn't make it an issue for the rest of us. Try holding the phone with your fingers like most folks do instead of slapping it to the side of your head with your entire hand cupped around it (the only way you'd see any problem at all).

It's not healthy to have the antenna touching your face anyway. A more normal grip would eliminate your problem with the signal as well as make it less likely you will get jaw cancer or something.

I have to disagree with ya Proffessor...I have an HTC Hero on Alltel Wireless and no matter what I do or how I hold my phone by the top (where the antenna is) the very most I drop is 1 bar from 5 and even that is not every single time.....so NO...all phones do NOT suffer from this bullshit Apple is trying to blame everyone for.....
  • Reply 248 of 278
    Quote:

Well, there's nothing really left to say on this non-issue other than repeat refutations of repetitious rewordings of the same discredited accusations, so, we might as well talk about why we are all here.

Here's a thought. You call me a troll, so if you believe that to be true, have the mods ban me, and if that's successful, you can rest content that you were right all along.

If they don't ban me, then it proves what I've said which is that you resort to personal attack when you often find yourself ill-equipped to rationally debate a point.

So go ahead, fill your boots*.

*(Kiwi slang for "do your worst" or "have at it" or expressions of that ilk).
  • Reply 249 of 278
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The smartest move when a competitor gets himself in hot water is to just let them stew in their own juice. By weighing in (or piling on) you only divert attention to yourself. You then become part of the drama. Not the best thing.

That blade might have two edges.

Competitors might come out with actual info regarding how much each phone suffers from attenuation under different grip/hold conditions. From what I managed to salvage around it seems iPhone 4 is suffering more - significantly more in some cases (which could explain why Apple is using grip&bars dust in the eyes approach instead of real data) - and while some competitors are not up to media game with Apple, some other are - like Google, for example.

So this might turn both way now - another commercially great Apple marketing campaign, or anti iPhone4 spoof with "1 finger is all it takes" themed response from funky little Android.

(I can almost envision ad with little R2D2-esque droid wondering around and giving a finger to people who are ignoring it while talking on their iPhones, resulting in their calls to drop instantly. One finger is all it takes. And it even doesn't have to be the finger)
  • Reply 250 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Please enlighten us where on any other phone you can put one finger and lose 5 bars? "Industry wide phenomena" my eye. Apple diluted this problem by talking about a "Death Grip". No one complained about a "Death Grip". They complained about the fact that if any part of their hand touched one spot on the side of the phone, it dropped calls. Grow up Apple, we are not in the 1st grade anymore, admit you screwed up and fix it, and move on. Don't point at your other classmates. MAN UP!!!! I guess the "great innovators" "missed a spot".

Well, the power to the finger is innovation, sort of... no one else has done it before

Just kiddin'
  • Reply 251 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

So you say there is a problem. And over 3 and 1/2 million people say it isn't a problem. If you have any dignity, you would admit you are the one in the wrong. I'll take the millions of people who own the iphone 4 and the millions who are on the waiting list for it to your feeble attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Saying that 3.5 million people don't have a problem just because they are not returning their phones is a bit of over-optimistic.

I have 3Gs, it is mediocre phone but I never considered returning it because it is good pocket computer (I would call it PDA but it is beyond way PDA, to be honest). That still doesn't mean I'm happy with 3Gs phone performance - far from it. I'm just accepting trade-in between poor signal reception and great eBook reader, among other good things with 3Gs.

I would say that much more people will experience finger-issue with iP4, but majority of them will also accept to deal with issue utilising bumper, holster or holding it differently. Still it doesn't mean they will all be ecstatically happy with that development.
  • Reply 252 of 278
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

The first article is not at all pro Apple. The second article is more neutral, short, and really just a blurb about another story elsewhere that's been all over every site. I don't see how this defeats the notion of inherent bias at all. When you label anything not anti Apple as the "fanboys", I think that says it all.

Just becuz someone uses the term fanboyz does not mean they hate Apple. Look at another article of theirs:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100725224226
  • Reply 253 of 278
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Given my personal (now 2 week) experience with the iPhone 4 while vacationing in Tahoe (the spouse bought one), I'm going with 'Apple Is Lying'... or at least being highly deceptive.

Note: Your experience may differ, but this one is mine and my family's based on the reality of actually using the handset)

I believe the statistic doesn't agree with you. It shows your experience doesn't represent the majority (and even your opinions in this board may not represent the majority either),
  • Reply 254 of 278
    giosacconegiosaccone Posts: 121member
    This seems to make many users angry
  • Reply 255 of 278
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

this antenna issue seems to be put to rest at this point.

now the real drama coming next is the glass.

I second that. I couldnt believe my eyes when the leaked phone (engadget) details were make public in the apple anouncement. Its the same phone!!!??? You got to be kidding. Glass going to all the way to the edge on both sides of the phone. WHAAAT!!!!???? I have always used a bumper on my 3G model and cant understand how somebody would dare to use this piece of glass without it. People are going to start crying about this soon and some class-action suit is unavoidable.

offtoppic part:

Do you want to have fun on a friends iphone ;-P ? Do this:

1. go to phone app.

2. press clear.

3. press home button.

Voila.. phone app is unusable and you have to force the app ro restart. On a 3G you cant to this nicely from menus but have to restart the app by going to shutdown screen (hold powerbutton) and pressing and holding the homebutton untill the phone app exits.
  • Reply 256 of 278
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's this then?

How about that, it's a Nokia user forum where someone is complaining about the bars dropping on an N97 Mini in January this year.

There's even a suggested solution which involves how to hold the phone, all before the iPhone 4 was even released (or found in a bar).

Amazing that Nokia never heard of it as the forum is hosted on their site.

You were saying?

Nokia doesn't care about the forums neither about their customers.

I had display issues with nokia it went off thrice when came into contact with moisture and nokia refused to fix it every time (had to use means) other than replacing the phone so I changed and I changed to apple.
  • Reply 257 of 278
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

... I was looking for public discourse with you, which is why the comment isn't a PM ...

And he chose to ignore you.

Quote:

Here's a thought. You call me a troll, so if you believe that to be true, have the mods ban me, and if that's successful, you can rest content that you were right all along.

If they don't ban me, then it proves what I've said which is that you resort to personal attack when you often find yourself ill-equipped to rationally debate a point. ...

Ha, ha, ha. Sorry, but you are, as usual, entirely mistaken in your premises, on all counts, and your argument defies logic as well. Yet, ironically, your "argument", tone and desperate attempts to "get into it with someone" reinforce the impression that your only purpose here is trolling. Well, good luck.
  • Reply 258 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Just becuz someone uses the term fanboyz does not mean they hate Apple. ...

No, but it pretty much disqualifies them from being considered unbiased.
  • Reply 259 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Saying that 3.5 million people don't have a problem just because they are not returning their phones is a bit of over-optimistic. ...

No, actually, it does mean exactly that. It means that this issue is so entirely overblown, and kept alive by people with vested interests and others who just don't like Apple. Your counterargument essentially states that 3.5 Million people are idiots whose phones don't work but they keep them anyway. If they aren't returning them in significant numbers, and they aren't, it means that in real world use people aren't finding this to be a significant issue at all.

It also means that most of the people complaining don't own the phone.
  • Reply 260 of 278
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That blade might have two edges.

Competitors might come out with actual info regarding how much each phone suffers from attenuation under different grip/hold conditions. From what I managed to salvage around it seems iPhone 4 is suffering more - significantly more in some cases (which could explain why Apple is using grip&bars dust in the eyes approach instead of real data) - and while some competitors are not up to media game with Apple, some other are - like Google, for example.

That still makes the other guys part of the story. "We suck too...but not as much!" isn't exactly a great selling point.

If they were smart they would have kept their mouths shut this whole time and let the press beat up on Apple. Instead they pushed apple to call them on it.