Apple rumored to offer free engraving for holiday iPad orders

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new rumor suggests Apple will extend its free engraving option from the iPod to the iPad this fall, allowing customers to customize their touchscreen tablet purchased in time for the holidays.

Citing an anonymous Apple employee, tech blog Erictric reported Monday that Apple will add an engraving option for the iPad later this year. The alleged addition is said to come this holiday season.

For years, Apple has allowed its online customers to have custom messages engraved on the back of an iPod. The feature can be used to create a personalized message or contact information, and allows users to distinguish their device in a sea of similar models.

The report indicated that Apple would have liked to offer iPad engraving earlier, but due to strong demand for the product, the company has been unable to do so. Apple sold 3 million iPads in the product's first 80 days, and company officials said last week they are unsure when they will be able to catch up with consumer demand.

The report also indicated that the engraving is expected to be free, like it is with the longstanding iPod option.

Even if the customized engraving option does not come to be, Apple's iPad is expected to have a blockbuster holiday season this year. One recent report said the touchscreen device will be the Tickle Me Elmo-type must-have product of 2010. Market analysts at iSuppli expect Apple to sell a total 12.9 million units in calendar 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Makes sense, although I do think it might look a little weird, depending on what size font they use. I actually kept thinking about why they didn't offer engravings from the start, but this explanation makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    now this is something for a front page news. This is really that big of a deal!

)))
  • Reply 3 of 14
    How about an iPad with a camera in time for the holidays?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    When they 'replace' the battery on the iPad (where they actually replace the unit) will they re-engrave it?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    I'm in dual mind with this engraving bit; on one hand is a great way to personalise your device from the masses, but on another hand it'll make it harder to resell it. Who's going to buy an iPad with somebody else name on it? what about if the previous owner's name is Steve Ballmer?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

I'm in dual mind with this engraving bit; on one hand is a great way to personalise your device from the masses, but on another hand it'll make it harder to resell it. Who's going to buy an iPad with somebody else name on it? what about if the previous owner's name is Steve Ballmer?

Same concerns to keep in mind when buying an iPod. I know I'm reselling my 16gb 2nd Gen iPod Touch the first week in Sept. before the 7th, when the new one comes out. That is the sole reason I didn't have an engraving put on mine.

Also, from a logical view, you're not really ever looking at the back of your iProduct, only the front/screen.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

It is certainly a problem if you engrave your name. On the otherhand when i do buy "Things" i tend to keep them until they are so old nobody wants them.

Still i think your assumption that just names are going onto the devices is a big mistake. In fact id have to wonder how much space or text they will allow for. I could see people putting their favorite quotes on the devices, song fragments, medical notices, and a host of otherthings.

What is interesting me here is when will the engraving be done. That is on a finished product or at the time the cases is milled out? Being that the cases are done on CNC mills, the "engraving could be done right on the mill at the beginning of construction. The engraving effect would be different due to the surface finishing after engraving.

Speaking of CNC theat is probably what Apple is using right now. It is just an after construction thing. The actual tooling is likely different too.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eh270eh270 Posts: 60member
    Engraving is brilliant on Apple's part because it voids the return policy
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I agree. Don't resell if you are going to upgrade and sell your old iPad/iPod/iPhone to Gazelle or Next Worth. I've sold all my old Apple devices to these sites. This sounds like a good idea but it will diminish resell options.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Many people purchase personalized items without automatically calculating the item's value in the used goods marketplace.

Someone will buy a personalized iPad. It just depends on the person and the price.

If the provenance of the ownership can be proven to be Steve Ballmer, the item might actually go for more than a brand-new unit at full retail.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

Engraving is brilliant on Apple's part because it voids the return policy

It does?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gagne View Post

It does?

Yes. But so does customizing your MacBook Pro's hardware or any item from the Apple Store. If it's not the default option, you can't return it--Under the satisfaction guarantee. It is still fine for normal warranty and product malfunction; you just can't return it in the normal 14-day satisfaction guarantee window.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gagne View Post

It does?

How can you return it when you have engraved your name or your lost love on it? It make sense, doesn't it? or so I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    It's pretty nice