64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple's iLife '11 suite will launch in August for $79, with all included applications being 64-bit, including a new "mystery" addition, a rumor suggests.

French Apple website Mac4Ever (via Google Translate) reported last week that iLife '11 will launch soon, on Saturday, August 7. The updated application suite is said to include improvements in the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and will reportedly add greater integration with social networking sites.

Citing a "well informed" source, the site also said that iWeb will be brand new, and iLife '11 will include a new "mystery" application. It also said that iDVD will not be included, and instead will be downloaded like iMovie HD. Finally, the update will also reportedly include a MobileMe gallery beta with Faces and Places.

The iLife suite currently includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb. The software is included on every new Mac. The last update, iLife '09, launched in January of 2009, with major upgrades to all of its applications, including the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and the addition of the Precision Editor to iMovie.

In January, Apple was rumored to introduce iLife 2010, a report that didn't pan out. Instead, the Cupertino, Calif., company held a special event to introduce the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 177
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor suggests that Apple's iLife '11 suite will launch in August for $79, with all included applications being 64-bit, including a new "mystery" addition.

iHTML5!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 177
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Maybe they could make iPhoto more transparent. You know, maybe where you could see your pictures in a folder in finder under the name you save them as rather than some mystical number.
  • Reply 3 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

iHTML5!!!!!

No really can't wait. I am sure I will love the new iPhoto, which is pretty much my favorite app on my Mac
  • Reply 4 of 177
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

ihtml5!!!!!

Yeah, that would be great, but I'd love to see Garageband get integrated control surface support with a new iPad app from Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 177
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

iHTML5!!!!!

Well, that would be part of iWeb, so probably not the "mystery application".
  • Reply 6 of 177
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore.

2) iPaint - The paint and drawing app you've always wanted for the Mac. etc. etc. etc.

3) FaceTime - A long-shot because iChat is already integrated in the OS, not iLife; but including this in iLife will allow them to update/add it without having to wait for an OS revision.
  • Reply 7 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, that would be part of iWeb, so probably not the "mystery application".

I am not so sure about that. If you want to use the Canvas in a large extend (and they invented it so i think they will want that) you will need a separate app much like Flash is not included in Dreamweaver. So maybe not iHTML5 but more something like iCanvas.
  • Reply 8 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore. ...

iBooks for Mac OS would be nice. Even if it's not ideal reading on a computer screen, being able to access books for reference purposes would be great. However, I suspect that since iLife isn't available for Windows, and iBooks ties into the whole iTunes/iDevice ecosystem, that they won't tie iBooks to iLife.
  • Reply 9 of 177
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    What has been missing since day one of the iLife suite? The original killer app on the Mac platform? iPaint!
  • Reply 10 of 177
    iDVD will not be included?????

huh

thank goodness I have Final Cut Studio

no wait, when will they discontinue DVD Studio Pro

what insanity

as for the mystery app - I think that it will be an image editor or some scaled down version of Apple Motion that has some image editing capabilities
  • Reply 11 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

iBooks for Mac OS would be nice. Even if it's not ideal reading on a computer screen, being able to access books for reference purposes would be great. However, I suspect that since iLife isn't available for Windows, and iBooks ties into the whole iTunes/iDevice ecosystem, that they won't tie iBooks to iLife.

Ahhh, smart. I had forgotten about that.
  • Reply 12 of 177
    Quote:

I am not so sure about that. If you want to use the Canvas in a large extend (and they invented it so i think they will want that) you will need a separate app much like Flash is not included in Dreamweaver. So maybe not iHTML5 but more something like iCanvas.

Possible. That could simply be folded into iWeb, but it might make more sense as a separate app. I certainly have no good ideas what the mystery app, if there is one, might be.

Although, I could be wrong about iBooks. iMovie is sort of the same situation now. Well, maybe not, though.
  • Reply 13 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

What has been missing since day one of the iLife suite? ...

Hypercard 4.0?

Although, iHypercard is a little awkward to pronounce.
  • Reply 14 of 177
    Currently, the iLife applications are : iPhoto, iMove, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb.

For an application to be part of an iLife package, it must have the ability to Create, Archive, and Distribute(Shared). It also must be something the whole family can enjoy, easy to use, learn and the final output good is enough to be compared with the content produced with Pro apps.

What would the mystery application be?
  • Reply 15 of 177
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    What's the betting that they also drop PowerPC support? Unless they improve the speed of Places (and maybe Faces), then I don't think it'll be one for my iMac G5.
  • Reply 16 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

What's the betting that they also drop PowerPC support? Unless they improve the speed of Places (and maybe Faces), then I don't think it'll be one for my iMac G5.

They dropped it. If only to speed things up, which we all know is much appreciated for any program.
  • Reply 17 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It would be nice if Apple would do domain registrations for iWeb/MobileMe sites. I know you can register with a 3rd party and use it with MobileMe but it would be nice to have an all-in-one solution.
  • Reply 18 of 177
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I really hope iWeb is more flexible.
  • Reply 19 of 177
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

They dropped it. If only to speed things up, which we all know is much appreciated for any program.

When? My iMac is running iLife '09, the current one for now.
  • Reply 20 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It would be nice if Apple would do domain registrations for iWeb/MobileMe sites. I know you can register with a 3rd party and use it with MobileMe but it would be nice to have an all-in-one solution.

Yeah, there's a lot of things I would like Apple to add to iWeb. Even something basic like text editing of the webpage code would be very helpful. I have been using it for the past week to set up my website I bought with GoDaddy, and while the tutorials from GoDaddy were invaluable to helping me get iWeb to host my site on MobileMe, it's neither perfect, nor easy to do so. It took me about 3 hours in all to get everything set up and registered with iWeb, and there were quite a few times where I know that someone less technical than me would have either given up, or horribly broken the site messing in the DNS records.