64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application

Comments

• Reply 41 of 177
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Currently, the iLife applications are : iPhoto, iMove, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb.

For an application to be part of an iLife package, it must have the ability to Create, Archive, and Distribute(Shared). It also must be something the whole family can enjoy, easy to use, learn and the final output good is enough to be compared with the content produced with Pro apps.

What would the mystery application be?

An consumer grade animation tool that will integrate with iPhoto, Garage Band, and iMovie fits your description... It will also allow for simple/moderately complex drawing (ala MacPaint replacment).
  • Reply 42 of 177
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:

What would the mystery application be?

I am wondering about some kind of iTV. A TiVo-like DVR package that works with a tuner (maybe part of the new iMac upgrade?) or an Apple branded dongle, and with a newly released AppleTV. It would facilitate re-formatting TV material for whatever Apple device you want to watch it on, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. Something that pulls together and integrates all our television experience into one system.
  • Reply 43 of 177
    In about a year's time, I'm trading in my Mac Mini that I bought in September 2009. When I do, I'll be getting iLife 11 included and the next OS X release.

The downside is that I have to wait a year to upgrade my software. The good news is the money I'll save. About $100 Cdn. on iLife. Probably something similar for OS X being as this next revision will be a more obvious change than the under-the-hood overhaul done last year.

The last time I traded in a Mini, I got close to half the original value back. So I'm guessing that for about $500 Cdn. I'll be able to pick up a new Mini circa 2011. But $200 of that will be money I don't need to spend on software updates. Another $200 or so is money I will not need to spend on a hard drive which would no doubt need replacing in Year 3 or 4 with my current Mini. I can either keep the current Mini, spending about $400 for software/hard drive maintanence or spend $500 next year with those items included.

Personally I'm fine with waiting a year on software updates and spending an extra $100 every two years to have the latest hardware on my desktop. And being as Apple just released a major overhaul of the Mini form factor, there will be a Mini for me to trade up to next year. The best part is that by then there will have been no doubt a performance boost. Being as I'm old enough to have spent close to $7000 Cdn. on a garden-variety Mac Tower, the notion of budgeting something like $250 a year to maintain computer hardware and software doesn't bother me. That works out to something like $2,000 every eight years. For someone who loves to tinker with new electronic toys, this is a great set-up. Thank God Apple saw fit to bring out the Mini. It has made for a much more affordable yet workable solution to my computing needs.
  • Reply 44 of 177
    I feel like it'd be smarter for Apple to release FaceTime as part of an OS patch (or just to patch iChat directly).

It's actually not unprecedented for them to add features in OS patches - for example, Quicktime Player X couldn't use Quicktime plugins at launch, but now it can use Perian, FLV player, and Flip4Mac - the only thing I ever need QT Player 7 for anymore is for remuxing H.264 .mov files to .mp4.
  • Reply 45 of 177
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The one new application I would like to see is something that ties Mail, Address Book and iCal together with added project management. Not really part of iLife - more iWork, but an Apple created CRM client for the very small to small business would be amazing. And then some proper teamwork with Acclivity and such to make Accountancy /Inventory / POS software work as it should.

Now, back on topic - the new Mystery App - my mind keeps veering towards something that includes FaceTime, something to do with social networking... something to do with MobileMe, though I'm not sure any of those belong within iLife.
  • Reply 46 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synapticlight View Post

iDVD will not be included?????

huh

thank goodness I have Final Cut Studio

no wait, when will they discontinue DVD Studio Pro

what insanity

"It also said that iDVD will not be included, and instead will be downloaded like iMovie HD."

The story did not say it would be discontinued.
  • Reply 47 of 177
    Oh, another point - I feel like August 7 would be very early for FaceTime on OSX, since it'd also require iPhone firmware 4.1 to come out (the one that lets you dial FaceTime by email and not just phone number) and I kinda doubt that'll happen until the September iPod event.
  • Reply 48 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Maybe they could make iPhoto more transparent. You know, maybe where you could see your pictures in a folder in finder under the name you save them as rather than some mystical number.

This is already there. The folders with the numbers are just the imports when you connect your camera. Call it an event and give it a name and the folder gets a name.

It would be handy if they added a feature when you do the import, that it asked you what to call it I guess. Then every import would get a named folder.
  • Reply 49 of 177
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

It going to be iPhone for the Mac, a VOIP-Messaging client. Get with it folks! Facetime

Thumbs up!
  • Reply 50 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks - A new desktop application that will allow you to read and buy books from the iBookstore, or even your own imported epub books. This will be especially geared toward students, with options such as highlighting, notes, bookmarks, multiple books open simultaneously, and integrated dictionary and thesaurus. You might even be able to write your own ebook within the app, and publish it right to the iBookstore.

2) iPaint - The paint and drawing app you've always wanted for the Mac. etc. etc. etc.

3) FaceTime - A long-shot because iChat is already integrated in the OS, not iLife; but including this in iLife will allow them to update/add it without having to wait for an OS revision.

Good choices, but to play devil's advocate ....

iBooks is unlikely because all the other media types are integrated into iTunes, so unless they bust out iTunes into five separate apps, I don't see it happening.

iPaint would be welcome (there really aren't any good painting drawing apps available for the average end user right now), but paint apps usually end up in Office suites historically so maybe it's an iWork thing as opposed to an iLife thing.

Facetime would also be fantastic, but again, I feel this would be more a stand alone kind of thing and not necessarily anything to do with an iLife update.
  • Reply 51 of 177
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am wondering about some kind of iTV. A TiVo-like DVR package that works with a tuner (maybe part of the new iMac upgrade?) or an Apple branded dongle, and with a newly released AppleTV. It would facilitate re-formatting TV material for whatever Apple device you want to watch it on, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. Something that pulls together and integrates all our television experience into one system.

Hmmm.... That sounds interesting. iTunes is a very strong brand but I personally would like to see it divided into two apps - audio and visual. At any rate, including some kind of iTV app might make good sense in order to introduce people to aTV. If I had a tuner and software in my iMac, I might be more likely to invest in an aTV for the living room. Hmm....
  • Reply 52 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

iApp - an Automator-like program for making basic apps for one's iPhone, pod, pad?

Maybe that will be the replacement for iDVD. It creates something similar to a DVD (with video + menus) but it is an iApp. Or an iBook?
  • Reply 53 of 177
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    We are all so lost on this.
  • Reply 54 of 177
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hmmm.... That sounds interesting. iTunes is a very strong brand but I personally would like to see it divided into two apps - audio and visual. At any rate, including some kind of iTV app might make good sense in order to introduce people to aTV. If I had a tuner and software in my iMac, I might be more likely to invest in an aTV for the living room. Hmm....

Well, there's always Elegato's eyetv HD (and their OTA tuners) + eyetv software for that.
  • Reply 55 of 177
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

iApp - an Automator-like program for making basic apps for one's iPhone, pod, pad?

I vote for this. It would exciting to do... Didn't google just announce something like this for android?
  • Reply 56 of 177
    Just a guess, but the mystery app may have something to do with Social networking. Perhaps organizing all one's social networking sites into one manageable application across the Mac, iPad and iPhone platforms.

Or include MobileMe and the above, plus FaceTime into iLife.

It certainly would fit the 'iLife' moniker.

Whatever it will be it will be elegant and fun!

Best
  • Reply 57 of 177
    iDVD should become freeware. I mean seriously, people, my mother doesn't even use DVDs anymore.

I'm finding it hard to understand the appeal of a "iPaint" application. It seems like 1990s Windows 3.1 to me. I mean seriously what do people use these applications for? It was cool to show people that you could paint on your computer in like 1990, but what is the practical application for the average consumer? What would they use these lame paintings/drawings for? "iPaint" seems like a step backward and would be a disappointment. Better to integrate better image creation tools at the OS level or into the iWork suite of applications - again, not necessarily a seperate app, but just improve on the drawing tools already included in the iWork apps.

iBooks would be predictable, and it would be nice to have on the Mac as well, but if that's going to be the exciting new addition, I will be disappointed yet again. I also agree with the comment about tying this to the iTunes ecosystem and Windows rather than iLife.

Application creation I don't see as part of the consumer oriented package that is iLife. Apple wants any developer to be able to make a cool app for iOS, sure, but they probably don't want whatever lame app my mom would make, and my mom probably wouldn't have any interest in making one to begin with. Let alone the inherent limitations that would come with a consumer-level app creation app. I think it would be a HORRIBLE idea.

We've got iTunes for your music (and more, I'd like to see iTunes be broken up into multiple apps, but that's an entirely different discussion), we've got Garageband for your to create your music, We've got photo management, we've got movie creation. What other things do we do in our lives? I can only answer for myself, but two aspects that I think Apple could use as a starting point for good apps are personal fitness and cooking.

We already saw awhile back the patents for a fitness-type application. Even though 90% of the time the patents we see never seem to end up in an actual shipping product, I think a fitness app would be a great idea. I also think it would be a great opportunity (long overdue) for Apple to lead by actual integrating their disparate products. iPhones already ship with the Nike+ sensor, and that could tie in nicely with a fitness app. It would be easy to create additional hardware accessories for a fitness application as well, and training, logging exercises, storing workouts and monitoring progress toward goals would be a given. A fitness app would also work well with social network integration. Fitness applications on the iPhone are pretty popular (along with nutrition/calorie/weight monitoring type apps. The fitness app and the cooking app could be one, actually - nutrition being an important part of personal fitness. Recipe storage, database of nutrition information, calorie counters, all could be integrated into this app and all could work with iPhone/iPod touch companion applications. Yes, other people make apps for these things, but the appeal of the iLife suite has always been that Apple can do it better, by using that hardware/software integration they're so famous for.

I'm not saying this is what the app will be, I'm saying this is what I'd like the app to be and I think it's a pretty good idea - just based on the possibilities I've thought up for it, let alone whatever cool way Apple would decide to do it that I haven't even considered.

I'm getting really frustrated at the pace of development at Apple on a variety of fronts. I'm STILL not seeing much effort made at integrating all these cool pieces of hardware they sell.... how can I use my iPad with my Mac? The garage band idea someone said is a great idea. Why aren't there more ways I can use my iPhone with my Mac? They're about to release a standalone multitouch trackpad - why can't my iPhone be that track pad? What are the possibilities for using my iPhone WITH my iPad? or my iPhone and iPad together with my Mac as peripherals. I really wish they would innovate and pick up the pace with this kind of thing.

Seems like they're neglecting so much and moving so slowly on so many things. Not the least of which is AppleTV. It obviously needs a change in strategy, and they can't be ignoring it as much as they seem to be, so let's SEE SOMETHING already. I love my AppleTV but even so it's such a missed opportunity and it's been YEARS now with no major improvement. And was the iPad really such a phenomenal leap from the iPhone? I'm glad they released it, but the time between these product announcements is so infuriating.

End rant.
  • Reply 58 of 177
    Fill in the blanks:

iLife = Photos, Movies, Music, Web, ______

iPhoto: Manage your life photos, make book albums, cards, calendars, slideshows.

iMovie: Create home movies easily and share them on dvds or youtube.

Garageband: Create your music, learn how to play piano or guitar, add music to your iMovie.

iWeb: Gather all your content, publish on the web for all to see.

Mystery app: ______?

What do all apps have in common? How do apps benefit and integrate with each other? It has to be something simple and useful. It must not be something that can be included in the System OS (iChat). It must something that some OSX users do not have to require(Garageband vs. Logic Pro). Finally, it must something that already exist (as a pro app) that normal people would like to use. That would be the mystery app.
  • Reply 59 of 177
    Perhaps...

A Finance App...again, would fit the 'iLife' concept and from what I've read the QuickBooks Mac version always lags behind the Windows version, much like Office.

Or an App the consolidates all Travel sites, from ideas, rental cars, plane tickets, cruises, and hotels. Now that would help my iLife. I would love to see Apple's take on that.

Or finally group, Mail, Calendar, notes into one App like Outlook. That would really help. I've always found opening 3 apps somewhat inconvenient and not very Apple-like. This is one area where MS has Apple beat.

But anyway...

Best
  • Reply 60 of 177
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Fill in the blanks:

iLife = Photos, Movies, Music, Web, ______

iPhoto: Manage your life photos, make book albums, cards, calendars, slideshows.

iMovie: Create home movies easily and share them on dvds or youtube.

Garageband: Create your music, learn how to play piano or guitar, add music to your iMovie.

iWeb: Gather all your content, publish on the web for all to see.

Mystery app: ______?

What do all apps have in common? How do apps benefit and integrate with each other? It has to be something simple and useful. It must not be something that can be included in the System OS (iChat). It must something that some OSX users do not have to require(Garageband vs. Logic Pro). Finally, it must something that already exist (as a pro app) that normal people would like to use. That would be the mystery app.

Again, the only thing I can find missing there is books. It may not make sense, but it's the only logical answer I can fill in those blanks.