New iMacs, Mac Pros and 27-inch Cinema Display expected Tuesday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is poised to release updates to its iMac and Mac Pro desktops, as well as a brand new 27-inch Cinema Display on Tuesday, according to a new rumor.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball hinted on Monday that Apple will release the new products this week in promoting his live podcast.

"We'll have much to talk about, what with the new Mac Pros (finally, right?), speed-bump iMacs, and the gorgeous new 16:9 27-inch Cinema Display that Apple might hypothetically release tomorrow," he wrote.

Update: Gruber later updated his post to also make mention of Apple's Magic Trackpad, a product that is believed to have recently received FCC approval, though no photographs of the tested Bluetooth device are available. The report said that the potential release of the trackpad is "doubly hypothetical."

AppleInsider was first to report on the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display in March. At the time, it was believed that the new display, along with a major update to Apple's Mac Pro workstations, would arrive in June. Though the products didn't meet that timeframe, Gruber's report would suggest that they will arrive before the end of July.

People familiar with the display said the product has been lingering in Apple's labs for some time, referenced with the unique identifier "K59." It is believed that the company was waiting for the price of larger LCD panels, with a display resolution of 2,560-by-1,400 pixels, to lower in price before the product would become available.

Apple's dodeca-core Mac Pro has also been in the works for some time. Last week, retail inventory became unavailable at some stores, indicating that supply channels could be drying up before a planned hardware update.

In addition, over the weekend AppleInsider revealed that iMac inventory was also limited ahead of an anticipated refresh. That came after Apple warned its direct and indirect sales channels of near-term shortages of hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Touchscreen iMac, please.
  • Reply 2 of 103
    AWESOME. New mac pro in my budget now with a shiny new display! a new 30" would have been nice, but 27" is close enough.
  • Reply 3 of 103
    macaximxmacaximx Posts: 13member
    I won't believe it until I see an unboxing video from Vietnam!
  • Reply 4 of 103
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i want an iMac that has smaller sized screen, (maybe 20 - 21 inches) that can run an i7 quad core... those 27" screens are MONSTERS.
  • Reply 5 of 103
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Currently there are 24" and 30" displays,

is this going to change to:

?24 & 27 or

?27 & 30 or

?24, 27 & 30?
  • Reply 6 of 103
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i want an iMac that has smaller sized screen, (maybe 20 - 21 inches) that can run an i7 quad core... those 27" screens are MONSTERS.

No matter how many configurations Apple offers, there will always be someone that wants something not offered.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaximx View Post

I won't believe it until I see an unboxing video from Vietnam!

Sing it!
  • Reply 8 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Believe me, there will be NO touchscreen iMac until AT THE LEAST 10.7, and probably not until 10.8. Also, there would absolutely be a press event for something that big. New software customized for it would have to be introduced and demoed, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    Quote:

Multi-touch keyboard and mouse!
  • Reply 10 of 103
    Quote:

I'd rather an "ipad" talk to the computer than actually touching the screen itself. A touch screen imac would just be...

1) dirty (too many fingerprints and grease; ewww; our workstation are dirt enough and skeeve me out when I think about the germs, really bad in multiuser environments in terms of hygiene) and

2) not ergonomic at all. Unless they have a really cool stylus in the works my "pad/ tablet" suggestion would really only work for navigation and manipulation, but not useful to artists without pressure sensitivity. Hmmm
  • Reply 11 of 103
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    why 27? what stops apple to release an update version of their existing 30 cinema display? putting a 27 display aside with 30 ACD, it just does not make sense.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Will never happen. At least not for public release. Touchpad? Personally I think yes. Touch keyboard? I imagine so but perhaps not yet.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Will never happen. At least not for public release. Touchpad? Personally I think yes. Touch keyboard? I imagine so but perhaps not yet.

Touch keyboard MacBook Air?
  • Reply 14 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

why 27? what stops apple to release an update version of their existing 30 cinema display? putting a 27 display aside with 30 ACD, it just does not make sense.

Yeah so what will the new 30" be? 34" jesus my desk is getting smaller already.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Yes they are, but so very very awesome.
  • Reply 16 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Yeah so what will the new 30" be? 34" jesus my desk is getting smaller already.

Simulated 40" display in new Apple Retina iGlasses! Augmented reality system integrated into OSX, baby!
  • Reply 17 of 103
    Gruber updated his post to hint that a Magic Touchpad might be coming, too.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

At least a part of the reason is the change in ratio.

Apple used to be the champion of the 16:10 ratio which is demonstrably the best, most "natural" proportion for a screen to have. However the movie industry has settled on the lesser 16:9 ratio and since computers are media devices we all have to pretend like 16:9 is actually better.

I'd love to see Apple making their own screens and perhaps going back to 16:10 but it's likely to never happen.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Part of the reason methink you won't find an i7 in anything smaller that the current 27" model is due to the increased thermal output of the CPU. Apple had to do some serious internal cooling tricks to use the thinner iMac case and anything smaller would end up turning that aluminum structure into a George Foreman Grill.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    If all this stuff releases in one day it will be quite a significant day at the Apple store.