New iMacs, Mac Pros and 27-inch Cinema Display expected Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

At least a part of the reason is the change in ratio.

Apple used to be the champion of the 16:10 ratio which is demonstrably the best, most "natural" proportion for a screen to have. However the movie industry has settled on the lesser 16:9 ratio and since computers are media devices we all have to pretend like 16:9 is actually better.

I'd love to see Apple making their own screens and perhaps going back to 16:10 but it's likely to never happen.

16:9 actually works fine on a 27" screen, it's so large already, but I don't think it's ideal on smaller screens.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

why 27? what stops apple to release an update version of their existing 30 cinema display? putting a 27 display aside with 30 ACD, it just does not make sense.

Isn’t the 30” ACD dramatically different tech that we can probably expect from the 27” LED Apple Display? Do they make ≥ 30” LED backlights that are viable for mass production and adequate Apple’s needs as a computer display? Are there any other issues between these two display types that would make it harder to produce a ≥ 30” LED Apple Display? Who else is selling a prosumer or better display of that size?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'd love to see Apple making their own screens and perhaps going back to 16:10 but it's likely to never happen.

I don’t mind 16:9 for a desktop. The displays are large enough now to have plenty of height. What I don’t care for is smaller notebooks (anything less than 15”) with 16:9 or any “widescreen” ratio for a reader device, like the iPad. I think Apple was very smart here even some say that 4:3 is “obsolete”. Those “widescreen” tablets and netbooks are simply murder for anything but watching video.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Currently there are 24" and 30" displays,

is this going to change to:

?24 & 27 or

?27 & 30 or

?24, 27 & 30?

The 24 will replaced by the 27.

The 30 will be replaced by something bigger (33-37).

I think the display and Mac Pro updates will be significant, but the iMac update will be minimal.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

If all this stuff releases in one day it will be quite a significant day at the Apple store.

Yes it would and it might explain why my brother in law was working till 1 am last night at the Apple store following the return of some of his crew of Cupertino.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    I hope the new displays aren't glossy or at least have a matte option. Glossy screens are impossible to use in my work space.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Will the powermacs have a new case? This current one has been around for several years now...
  • Reply 27 of 103
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and the gorgeous new 16:9 27-inch Cinema Display that Apple might hypothetically release tomorrow," he wrote.

How does one "hypothetically release" something?"

And I won't ever be buying an iMac or new Apple Display until they make a non-glossy screen an option. It's no good for graphics work.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Touchscreen iMac, please.

yeah, like anyone wants to poke at their screen all day. Glad you're not an Apple hardware designer!
  • Reply 29 of 103
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t mind 16:9 for a desktop. The displays are large enough now to have plenty of height. What I don?t care for is smaller notebooks (anything less than 15?) with 16:9 or any ?widescreen? ratio for a reader device, like the iPad. I think Apple was very smart here even some say that 4:3 is ?obsolete?. Those ?widescreen? tablets and netbooks are simply murder for anything but watching video.

I'm in an open plan office. Some of my co-workers craving more privacy have gathered up old displays to create "walls". A few of them have gotten around the lack of usable height by rotating one or more of the displays to portrait orientation.

I've placed a 20" 16:10 ratio display above my MBP. I find that much more efficient than having two wide screens side by side.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    With all this new hype and high expectations, if they don't release at least something tomorrow, it's going to be an ugly day around the forums.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will new displays use only white LED's or red+green+blue?
  • Reply 32 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

RGB, like they always have.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Red, green, blue AND YELLOW hopefully
  • Reply 34 of 103
    Well, I guess many will welcome the new desktops tomorrow?

I'm expecting price rises judging by the Mac Mini's under whelming update and steep price rise.

It's pretty predictable.

Mac 'pro'. six core. 2k. The over due 27inch LED will emerge due to the 27 inch iMac bringing panel prices down? Apple will pocket the savings and charge loads for it. About a grand? Add that to the entry 'pro' and you won't get change from 3k. Then you'll pay for the latest Nvidia card around £300 at least. Maybe a case redesign. It's due. No 30 incher LED. What's the point with the 27 inch?

£3300.

iMac will include more quad cores as standard (as they should have been last time.) I'd expect better gpus. Ati, I'm guessing. That's about it.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

... I'm expecting price rises judging by the Mac Mini's under whelming update and steep price rise. ...

The Mac Mini did not have a steep price rise. The current Mini is comparable to the old higher end Mini, and $100 cheaper. So, if anything, it had a price cut. They eliminated the cheaper base model, but that's not the same as a price increase.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Well, I guess many will welcome the new desktops tomorrow?

I'm expecting price rises judging by the Mac Mini's under whelming update and steep price rise.

It's pretty predictable.

Mac 'pro'. six core. 2k. The over due 27inch LED will emerge due to the 27 inch iMac bringing panel prices down? Apple will pocket the savings and charge loads for it. About a grand? Add that to the entry 'pro' and you won't get change from 3k. Then you'll pay for the latest Nvidia card around £300 at least. Maybe a case redesign. It's due. No 30 incher LED. What's the point with the 27 inch?

£3300.

iMac will include more quad cores as standard (as they should have been last time.) I'd expect better gpus. Ati, I'm guessing. That's about it.

Lemon Bon Bon.

To be fair, over in the US, and the 27" iMac starts at $1700 and the dell 27" lcd based on the same panel is just over $1k... so if Apple's price were in line w' the dell panel that it would make sense.

I'm betting $1300-$1400 for the LCD, though maybe itll be a little less. They *have* to price it less than the iMac.

No idea how screwed you guys will get on UK prices :-(
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

To be fair, over in the US, and the 27" iMac starts at $1700 and the dell 27" lcd based on the same panel is just over $1k... so if Apple's price were in line w' the dell panel that it would make sense.

I'm betting $1300-$1400 for the LCD, though maybe itll be a little less. They *have* to price it less than the iMac.

No idea how screwed you guys will get on UK prices :-(

I didn't know what Anal sex was until Apple hit UK buyers with the last few years worth of price rises...in recession too!

Blood cheek.

And they don't use lubricant.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The Mac Mini did not have a steep price rise. The current Mini is comparable to the old higher end Mini, and $100 cheaper. So, if anything, it had a price cut. They eliminated the cheaper base model, but that's not the same as a price increase.

The Mac Mini has gone from being a £395 computer (overpriced at that for something that does not include, k/b, mouse or monitor!) to one costing £645.

I call that a steep price rise.

So much for the transition to Intel. More expensive computers with integrated craphics.

It's had a price cut? (How is eliminating entry models not a price rise. Heh, heh, heh...)

Only on the warped 'bubble' logic of the 'insider boards.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    As long as it's not called the magic trackpad I'm ok with it. Seriousely a little bit much of an overlap with Disney there. Call it the Mac Trackpad, the iTrackpad, the Apple Trackpad please.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Quote:

The Mac Mini has gone from being a £395 computer (overpriced at that for something that does not include, k/b, mouse or monitor!) to one costing £645.

I call that a steep price rise.

So much for the transition to Intel. More expensive computers with integrated craphics.

It's had a price cut? (How is eliminating entry models not a price rise. Heh, heh, heh...)

Only on the warped 'bubble' logic of the 'insider boards.

Lemon Bon Bon.

In an honest comparison, there was no price increase. Eliminating cheaper "entry models" doesn't mean they are charging more for the same thing. If you want to be upset about those being eliminated, fine. But it's simply not accurate to portray it as a price increase by comparing disparate models.