New iMacs, Mac Pros and 27-inch Cinema Display expected Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

As long as it's not called the magic trackpad I'm ok with it. Seriousely a little bit much of an overlap with Disney there. Call it the Mac Trackpad, the iTrackpad, the Apple Trackpad please.

I second that.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Too little, too late. Over 500 days without an update? $2k? Geforce 210 ($20) graphics card? Not the sort of hardware I want to be tied to.

• Reply 43 of 103
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I didn't know what Anal sex was until...

Blood cheek.

And they don't use lubricant.

I think that middle line is what's known in the (rough) trade as a Freudian slip!
  • Reply 44 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I'd rather an "ipad" talk to the computer than actually touching the screen itself. A touch screen imac would just be...

1) dirty (too many fingerprints and grease; ewww; our workstation are dirt enough and skeeve me out when I think about the germs, really bad in multiuser environments in terms of hygiene) and

2) not ergonomic at all. Unless they have a really cool stylus in the works my "pad/ tablet" suggestion would really only work for navigation and manipulation, but not useful to artists without pressure sensitivity. Hmmm

Add tired arms after a few minutes of touching a 27" screen...
  • Reply 45 of 103
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

How does one "hypothetically release" something?"

And I won't ever be buying an iMac or new Apple Display until they make a non-glossy screen an option. It's no good for graphics work.

More precisely, how is it that Apple "might hypothetically" release something??

• Reply 46 of 103
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm hoping for a 21.5" ACD the MacMini and laptops.

I wondering how much the Mac Pro price increase will be this time.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I'd rather an "ipad" talk to the computer than actually touching the screen itself. A touch screen imac would just be...

1) dirty (too many fingerprints and grease; ewww; our workstation are dirt enough and skeeve me out when I think about the germs, really bad in multiuser environments in terms of hygiene) and

It seems to be odd to mention a touchpad device in a favorable manner in a post suggesting it's bad to have touch controls on a display. Have people been having major problems with fingerprints on the iPad and iPhone?

Quote:

2) not ergonomic at all. Unless they have a really cool stylus in the works my "pad/ tablet" suggestion would really only work for navigation and manipulation, but not useful to artists without pressure sensitivity. Hmmm

In many ways, I agree, they would have to make major changes to the machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

why 27? what stops apple to release an update version of their existing 30 cinema display? putting a 27 display aside with 30 ACD, it just does not make sense.

I don't think they would be expecting buyers to use the new and old displays side-by-side. The 27" has a slightly higher dot pitch anyways, that might be slightly disorienting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Isn’t the 30” ACD dramatically different tech that we can probably expect from the 27” LED Apple Display? Do they make ≥ 30” LED backlights that are viable for mass production and adequate Apple’s needs as a computer display? Are there any other issues between these two display types that would make it harder to produce a ≥ 30” LED Apple Display? Who else is selling a prosumer or better display of that size?

I would expect that the technology would be a lot different in whatever replaces the 30", whatever size or shape it will be. I don't think there was a 30" computer monitor until Apple introduced theirs. I recall Apple paid LG seed money up front to build the building and make the production line, in exchange for a certain exclusivity time period. LED backlights are available for much larger TVs and I sure haven't found any reason to complain about the quality of those backlights.

Quote:

I don’t mind 16:9 for a desktop. The displays are large enough now to have plenty of height. What I don’t care for is smaller notebooks (anything less than 15”) with 16:9 or any “widescreen” ratio for a reader device, like the iPad. I think Apple was very smart here even some say that 4:3 is “obsolete”. Those “widescreen” tablets and netbooks are simply murder for anything but watching video.

I really don't understand the drive to 16:9 computer displays at all. I watch a lot of video on my computer, but most of the time I do other things too. I really don't want to resort to portrait orientation to maximize height, moving to 16:9 doesn't help maximize height.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

RGB, like they always have.

Are you sure Apple has always used the RGB type? The tech specs don't say.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    I don't think there will be anything new tomorrow.Don't you think if they were updating 2 macs and a display that they would have some sort of event?? So if anything tomorrow is say a small speed bump and that's it.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I recall Apple paid LG seed money up front to build the building and make the production line, in exchange for a certain exclusivity time period.

I wonder if that could have been the iPad's display.

Quote:

LED backlights are available for much larger TVs and I sure haven't found any reason to complain about the quality of those backlights.

Acceptable tolerance levels seem to change when an Apple logo gets appended.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    How much of the supposedly extreme price increase of Apple Products in England is due to Apple and how much is due to the taxes required to maintain their lifestyle?

In Canada, we have the option of buying the product across the line and paying our 12% HST when we bring it back. The pond makes that a little harder for the English.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if that could have been the iPad's display.

The deal I'm thinking of was more like 7 years ago. For the iPad, it might be a different deal. I was just making an example that a panel doesn't have to be available on the commercial market for Apple to have one.

Quote:

Acceptable tolerance levels seem to change when an Apple logo gets appended.

I suppose, but Apple doesn't promote their displays as being for professional colorimetry, the new LED backlit TVs just don't seem to have anything wrong with the backlight quality, at least I don't know if anyone could tell otherwise unless they are in the calibration business.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I didn't know what Anal sex was until Apple hit UK buyers with the last few years worth of price rises...in recession too!

Blood cheek.

And they don't use lubricant.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Wow. I will never be able to get that mental picture out of my head. A sodomized bon bon.

The horror! The Shame.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Part of the reason methink you won't find an i7 in anything smaller that the current 27" model is due to the increased thermal output of the CPU. Apple had to do some serious internal cooling tricks to use the thinner iMac case and anything smaller would end up turning that aluminum structure into a George Foreman Grill.

Quite right!
  • Reply 54 of 103
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 55 of 103
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I think Apple is really lucky that they have so many customers that are willing to pay full price for stuff that's almost a year old (well over a year for the Mac Pro). They are also lucky that most of their customers don't read Intel, nVidia and AMD road maps to see when significant new technologies are coming out.

If Apple gets out of sync with their suppliers then even a brand new Mac may be a poor choice because it will be quickly leap frogged by new technology. When Apple isn't too far behind their suppliers' release dates then the following guides my buying decisions.

0-60 days old - do not buy, wait for public to find flaws and Apple to address them

61-120 days old - OK to pay full price

121 - 200 days old - OK to pay refurb price

200+ days old - do not buy, machine is too old to be worth what Apple charges

Only once in the last 18 years has my Mac completely failed and needed replacing at a "bad" time. My response was to move down the price ladder, getting a mini instead of the iMac I had been planning to get.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    jackzigjackzig Posts: 20member
    Apple may update the MacPros tomorrow, but not the iMacs. They still have the "buy an iMac get an iTouch" promotion going until September. Why would they kill that promotion? Look for new iMac's in October, maybe new iPods in September. The "touch" input thingie could happen anytime.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Hope it's true, whatever shows up.

It's kinda hard to move product when the shelves are running empty...
  • Reply 58 of 103
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Am I the only one who wants to see wimpier (and cheaper) Mac Pro? Something that uses iMac grade CPU at say, $1499?
  • Reply 59 of 103
    briavaelbriavael Posts: 34member
    Over the weekend I finally pulled the trigger to replace my sluggish G5 iMac with the i7. It hasn't shipped yet so I hope that I'll get the bumped version (if it materializes). Either I have perfect timing or piss poor... I'd really love to see the i7-960 or 970 in my next machine.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    A cry in the night is heard.

The Steve wakes up and goes to the window, his wife whispers, what's the matter dear?

He looks outside at the trees, is there someone there? Someone who mutters, or is it matte?

Steve goes back to sleep again, he's silenced those matte voices a long time ago, they really shouldn't be there, should they?