Apple to launch iPhone 4 in 17 more countries on Friday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    creiijcreiij Posts: 1member
    Well it seems Apple are a bit strict in Sweden. I need to take a day off just because they won't have any preorders and the stores will only have a limited number. I hope I can take a day off, got the overtime to do it but it's up to my boss. =)
  • Reply 22 of 42
    So let's go to the Apple Store!
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Being an international company has the advantage that they can still make profit overseas when the US is in recession. And part of that is not p*ssing off overseas customers by making them wait and wait and wait...

they are going to be waiting anyway lol
  • Reply 24 of 42
    debdeb Posts: 3member
    If the international market is now yielding 'killer' results, I would suggest that Apple abandon its policy of launching everything first in the US. It is my belief that increasing acceptance and sales of Macs in Europe and the enthusiasm for the iPod all over the wold has signally helped Apple to attain the position it now enjoys in the market. It is therefore no longer appropriate to have a tiered launch schedule favoring the States.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deb View Post

If the international market is now yielding 'killer' results, I would suggest that Apple abandon its policy of launching everything first in the US. It is my belief that increasing acceptance and sales of Macs in Europe and the enthusiasm for the iPod all over the wold has signally helped Apple to attain the position it now enjoys in the market. It is therefore no longer appropriate to have a tiered launch schedule favoring the States.

They are an American company. Their largest single market is the US. The US is still a trendsetter for technology. They will always favour the US.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    This article doesn't state that it is rumoured. It seems to be very matter of fact, yet they don't source it. Is this news based on an Apple press release or something? I don't see anything on the Apple site. Fido and Rogers will not comment.

Sorry for jumping the gun. I just found the press release on Apple's site. It is always nice when AI references their source.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    saturn79saturn79 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

I wish they would hold the international launch until they can meet the demand for the markets that have already launched. If you order one in the U.S. from Apple the ship time is 3 weeks.

The order iPhone 4 page on the Apple website has left the "ships in 3 weeks" date for the past 2.5 weeks. I just ordered my new iPhone 4 from AT&T yesterday. Could the phone be in my possession THIS week? I've waited since launch to get this phone, so these last few days/weeks will be gruesome.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I'm planning on being at my local Telus outlet first thing Friday morning. I'm rather hopeful of little competition. The guys there told me they had a lineup for various Blackberrys (I'm in RIM country) and absolutely no line for the 3G, 3GS, nor iPad.

Now, whether they'll actually get some in stock is a different story...

Umm, Telus did not start selling iPhones until Oct 2009. By then, the 3G was over a year old and the 3GS a few months. Of course there was no lineup.

As for the iPad, there were lineups outside all three Apple Stores in Toronto.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Will Apple open iBook store in these countries at the same time they launch IP4?

The iBook store is already open in Canada.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

What kind of supply will Apple have for these countries if they can't even fill their own orders in the US? I ordered my Black 32gb two weeks ago and it still won't ship for another two weeks!

Not to be cynical, but is this a method in which they create a "shortage" to create more demand?

If that was their goal, then they would simply keep withholding selling it in more countries just to create even more demand.

I hear the demand for iP6 is really high because availability is really low.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    debdeb Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

They are an American company. Their largest single market is the US. The US is still a trendsetter for technology. They will always favour the US.

Well, if Apple proves you right: Curtains. And good riddance. Cheers.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ...and take advantage of offers like "1GB data free for 12 months with every Android handset" from carriers who want connections, all the while potential customers are being exposed to the Antennagate issue, delays would only fuel the feeling that something is wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Being an international company has the advantage that they can still make profit overseas when the US is in recession. And part of that is not p*ssing off overseas customers by making them wait and wait and wait...

• Reply 33 of 42
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saturn79 View Post

The order iPhone 4 page on the Apple website has left the "ships in 3 weeks" date for the past 2.5 weeks. I just ordered my new iPhone 4 from AT&T yesterday. Could the phone be in my possession THIS week? I've waited since launch to get this phone, so these last few days/weeks will be gruesome.

Actually if you go to a Att store you might actually find one in stock. The downside is that you become contaminated by dealing with Att folks.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What's the Telus iPhone experience like? Do they have a good network? Reliable?

It's incredible. I have been with them for six years, NEVER had a problem, always had great customer service, I actually can't think of one thing I'd like to complain about. I've had their home phone service, dumb phone plans, internet, and iphone. All were reasonably priced (and they'll fight for your loyalty if you've been around long enough), and I always have exemplary customer service, in Edmonton, Calgary, and Fort McMurray.

I hear a lot of horror stories about Telus and I'm sure some are true, but I can't complain and neither can anyone I know. Better pricing than Rogers (and better remote area coverage), and way better customer service than Bell.

Wow, I must really love them. ha.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    oh, no, why no pre-orders here??
  • Reply 36 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Singapore telcos don't seem to have any details. No pre-orders too, by the look of it. It will be another mad rush in the morning of the 30th. Oh the madness... I wonder if the Apple resellers (there are no official Apple Stores) will have a no-contract phone on the 30th (they have a no-contract iPhone 3GS). [Singapore doesn't allow locking of phones to a network, though 1 and 2 year phone bundle/contracts etc. are allowed]
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deb View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Well, Apple is moving towards a more co-ordinated global launch for Macs and iPods. As for iPads and iPhones, they are shifting the allocation to outside the US and UK. For example, there are long wait times of a few weeks in the US and UK but they are going ahead and allocating stock and releasing units in more countries in Europe and Asia, etc.

So I would say there is already a shift in stock allocation to outside of the US. Whether the US will ever lose their first-tier launch status, I doubt it, because Apple is able to respond and gauge things going on in their own backyard before moving on...

If anything, actually, certain European countries may lose some of their favoured launch status. That is, first launch in the US, then a multitude of Europe, Australia and Asian countries simultaneously. Just wait until China has their 40+ or so official Apple Stores by the end of 2011[?] or so. That is going to shift the balance of things quite a bit. Though of course dealing with the Chinese government is always a bit of a dicey thing, from what we hear*.

*The issue is probably though that Apple China needs to consolidate their strength a little. Once they have their 40+ stores in China, that kind of retail/market presence, will be a significant force.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

Don't care.. They should do worldwide shipping for the unlocked one. Mine just came all the way from Hongkong to UK and is now stuck at Borderlinx.com...

Eventually this might happen. But the telco industry, and Apple's relationship/profits with them, are a real beast of a thing. The Internet and capitalism has broken down so many borders. Yet the physical and social barriers, natural or artificially imposed, still exist in our world.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, Apple is moving towards a more co-ordinated global launch for Macs and iPods. As for iPads and iPhones, they are shifting the allocation to outside the US and UK. For example, there are long wait times of a few weeks in the US and UK but they are going ahead and allocating stock and releasing units in more countries in Europe and Asia, etc.

So I would say there is already a shift in stock allocation to outside of the US. Whether the US will ever lose their first-tier launch status, I doubt it, because Apple is able to respond and gauge things going on in their own backyard before moving on...

If anything, actually, certain European countries may lose some of their favoured launch status. That is, first launch in the US, then a multitude of Europe, Australia and Asian countries simultaneously. Just wait until China has their 40+ or so official Apple Stores by the end of 2011[?] or so. That is going to shift the balance of things quite a bit. Though of course dealing with the Chinese government is always a bit of a dicey thing, from what we hear*.

*The issue is probably though that Apple China needs to consolidate their strength a little. Once they have their 40+ stores in China, that kind of retail/market presence, will be a significant force.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean that Apple treats everyone else as second class. They are definitely moving to a more global set for launches of their products. I was responding to deb's objection to Apple launching in the US first. Since they now usually launch in a few countries besides the US, one can't really claim they exclusively launch first in the US, with some exceptions. But, when it is a staged launch, the US is and will always be in the first round. Why should it be otherwise? I suppose deb is bitter that his/her country is not in the first stage. Neither is mine. It would be great if Apple could launch in every country on the same day. But, given that they cannot always do this, is it wrong that their largest and most important market is included in the first round of countries?

If they can't do a global launch with every country getting product on the same day for every launch, should they hold a lottery and determine which are they first few countries to get the product? Should Apple withhold stock from the US to ensure that Nigeria, Luxembourg, Egypt and Nicaragua get it on launch day?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I will not be buying an iPhone 4 this Friday. Had intended to but am still sore about what iOS 4 did to the performance of my old 3G. Damn it, it was a perfectly good phone until I installed this.

No I am not an iHater or Apple fanatic, I'm an ordinary person whose phone has been f'ed by Apple pushing an OS update out to hardware not powerful enough to run it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdk2cJpSXLg