Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has brought the multi-touch gestures available to MacBook users to the desktop with its new $69 Magic Trackpad, as well as a new battery charger for wireless devices like the Magic Trackpad, Apple keyboard, and Magic Mouse.

Magic Trackpad

The Magic Trackpad offers Apple's patented multi-touch technology through a smooth glass and aluminum design. It enables users to scroll smoothly up and down a page with inertial scrolling, pinch to zoom in and out, rotate an image with fingertips and swipe three fingers to flip through a collection of Web pages or photos.

The Magic Trackpad can be configured to support single button or two button commands and supports tap-to-click as well as a physical click.

Photos of Apple's Magic Trackpad first leaked earlier this summer, showing the multitouch desktop accessory before it was even announced. Earlier this month, the device received FCC approval, though at the time it was simply identified as a mysterious Bluetooth device.

Apple first brought multi-touch functionality to its desktops last year with the Magic Mouse, a Bluetooth wireless mouse that allows users to use their fingers to scroll and zoom via the surface of the hardware. Every iMac and Mac Pro comes with the Magic Mouse, though users can now order the new Magic Trackpad for $69 as an option.

Apple Battery Charger

Apple claims its new Battery Charger sets a new industry standard by having the lowest standby power usage value ? or "vampire draw" ? of any similar charger on the market. That's the energy most chargers continue to draw after their batteries are fully charged.

Instead, the Apple Battery Charger senses when its batteries are done charging and automatically reduces the amount of power it needs. In addition, the reusable batteries that come with each Apple Battery Charger are designed to maintain a high charge capacity for hundreds of charges, so you no longer have to buy new batteries or toss them every few months.

Each Apple Battery Charger comes with six AA NiMH batteries, intended to allow users to run their keyboard keyboard and mouse or trackpad, while allowing two more for spare charging.

"Unlike many other reusable batteries, these batteries have an incredibly long service life ? up to 10 years," Apple said. "Which means you can finally break the cycle of buying and disposing of those toxic, single-use alkaline batteries. The batteries that come with the Apple Battery Charger kit also have an extraordinarily low self-discharge rate. Even after a year of sitting in a drawer, they still retain 80 percent of their original charge. That way you always have backup power when you need it."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Great! Exactly what I was waiting for! Can't wait to test this!
  • Reply 2 of 143
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    For some reason I'm not to enthusiastic about this. Hopefully this may mean wider support of multitouch with the Mac in 10.7 instead of using it for the most pedestrian of features.
  • Reply 3 of 143
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    they also brought out this accessory http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/
  • Reply 4 of 143
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    hmm, where's the new Apple TV?
  • Reply 5 of 143
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Some people here said the want a Mac with a touchscreen. It has (rightly!) been pointed out that this is all but ergonomic. I think the Magic Trackpad is actually the touch Mac - in a real ergonomic way. That's why I am looking forward to this new, neat accessory.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    I wonder how popular this device will become. There will be some people who find it useful, but I can't help but think there are a lot more people who won't find a need for it.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I assume my Apple Store will have these today and I will be getting one. More to follow.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I wonder how popular this device will become. There will be some people who find it useful, but I can't help but think there are a lot more people who won't find a need for it.

That's what people said about te iPad
  • Reply 9 of 143
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 10 of 143
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It enables users to scroll smoothly up and down a page with inertial scrolling, pinch to zoom in and out, rotate an image with fingertips and swipe three fingers to flip through a collection of Web pages or photos.

That's it? Fingerworks' iGesture pad from almost ten years ago did a heck of a lot more than that. Okay, the iGesture cost quite a bit more, but it was worth it. That had a whole ranges of gestures, each using one to five fingers, not just limited to three. I remember being able to control the mouse cursor, text cursor, click, double click, right click, center click, cut, copy, paste, zoom, open file/app, close window, quit application, scroll up/down/left/right, find, command-tab through applications, press "enter," and a bunch more functions that I can't recall now.

Unless they upgrade this, I'm not buying, especially at $70. How disappointing. In terms of "magic," this is like some kid's party prestidigitator compared to iGesture as Merlin. Damn you, Apple, how could you buy such a powerful portfolio of technology and water it down so much?
  • Reply 11 of 143
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

That's what people said about te iPad

But technically he's right. There are hundreds of millions or BILLIONS of people who find they don't have a need for one

Personally, I'm going to get one. 2-finger scrolling and 2D scrolling works great on my MacBook, and isn't quite as easy with a mouse. And this should be more kid-proof than my current mice.
  • Reply 12 of 143
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Sweet, sweet, and sweet.
  • Reply 13 of 143
    I'm not ready to abandon the mouse. It's just more maneuverable/precise than the track pad. If I'm going to be working for a while on my MB Pro, I always bring a wireless mouse with me.
  • Reply 14 of 143
    I want one that is wired for my PC. I'd still pay $70 for it.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Some people here said the want a Mac with a touchscreen. It has (rightly!) been pointed out that this is all but ergonomic. I think the Magic Trackpad is actually the touch Mac - in a real ergonomic way.

Exactly. Everyone wanting a touch-screen Mac missed the most fundamental point: this kind of technology is appropriate for small devices only. No way to do all kinds of UI manipulations from a sitting position by touching a 27" screen for hours.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    I think this could actually be the perfect remote for couch surfing/navigating of your mac or apple tv.

It depends on if/when Apple will build onscreen keyboards that will work with this trackpad.
  • Reply 17 of 143
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I hope it works better than the magic mouse. Mine only kept it's 'magic' capabilities for a week or so. This is a common issue with the iMac + magic mouse.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I think this could actually be the perfect remote for couch surfing/navigating of your mac or apple tv.

It depends on if/when Apple will build onscreen keyboards that will work with this trackpad.

You don't need them. The wireless Apple keyboard is more practical and it is probably conceived that small for that reason (using it in unusual positions like while on the couch).
  • Reply 19 of 143
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    I'm definitely getting the battery charger. As for the touchpad, I wish they allowed an option for you to chose either/or when you buy a new Mac. So instead of the Magic mouse, people can chose the trackpad instead. I don't need a mouse AND a trackpad!
  • Reply 20 of 143
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Interesting... I wonder if I've finally found a replacement for my ancient wireless Kensington Turbo Mouse trackball. But somehow I doubt the trackpad will be very good for gaming - can't hold down a button & move at the same time, possibly pushing the second button along the way. E.g. when strafing & throwing grenades.

If I had $70 burning a hole in my pocket, I might pick one up for work, though. But I think I'd pick up a SpaceNavigator first.

- Jasen.