Apple's new 27-inch LED Cinema Display to ship in September

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday took the wraps off its new 27-inch LED Cinema Display which sports a 2560 x 1440 resolution and 60 percent more screen real estate than the company's existing24-inch LED Cinema Display.

Like its 24-inch cousin, the new $999 display features a built-in iSight video camera, microphone and speakers, powered USB 2.0 hub, and universal MagSafe connector, making it a worthy companion for the to Apple's MacBook family or a Mac desktop.

"With built-in MagSafe charging, iSight camera, speakers, and USB ports, the LED Cinema Display is ideal for MacBook and MacBook Pro users," said Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, Philip Schiller. "With its massive 2560 x 1440 resolution, the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display is a perfect fit with our powerful new Mac Pro, and it gives iMac users an easy way to double their screen real estate."

The new, larger 27-inch LED Cinema Display features a 16:9 edge-to-edge glass display on an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge that makes tilting the display easy. It displays vivid colors and exceptionally high contrast by utilizing a premium display technology called in-plane switching (IPS) to provide a brilliant image across an ultra wide 178 degree viewing angle.

The new LED Cinema Display now also includes a new ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the display brightness based on external lighting conditions and uses only as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience.

Made with mercury-free LED technology, arsenic-free glass and highly recyclable materials, the LED Cinema Display meets stringent Energy Star 5.0 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status, according to Apple. It also contains no brominated flame retardants and all cables and components are PVC-free.

The new LED Cinema Display will be available in September through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $999. It requires a Mac with Mini DisplayPort.

AppleInsider was first to report on Apple's plans to introduce the 27-inch Cinema Display back in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Its so slim!
  • Reply 2 of 73
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Now all I need is a desk big enough to fit a pair of these beasts on
  • Reply 3 of 73
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Where is the mention of $999 for the new 27" display? I see no price mentions on the display website.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    I hope it has a modern 93%+ NTSC color gamut, unlike the other, old and lousy Apple monitors...
  • Reply 5 of 73
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    $999 is actually competitive for this screen, and tempting. I also like that it'll probably force Dell's hand in dropping the price of their 27" :-D
  • Reply 6 of 73
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

Its so slim!

yeah, i was noticing an old 30" at the apple store last week and it was funky fat looking.

hmmm, this might fit nicely next to my 27" iMac... lol, that would be silly...
  • Reply 7 of 73
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    i_ii_i Posts: 10member
    does it have hdmi ports or just mini display port....
  • Reply 9 of 73
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i_i View Post

does it have hdmi ports or just mini display port....

the tech specs page states that a Mac with mini display port is required
  • Reply 10 of 73
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    No 21.5" or 23" model for the Mac Mini and notebooks. Most disappointing. The market is allowed to have more than 1 displayport monitor.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

the tech specs page states that a Mac with mini display port is required

I'd love to connect this monitor to my PC as well, not just to my MacBookPro. And no USB 3.0 hub? Have to skip this one as well...
  • Reply 12 of 73
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Pretty much the same monitor as the 24", only 3 inches bigger and more resolution. One has to wonder why Apple limits their cinema displays to the Mac ecosystem. You would think that with its external displays, they would attempt to include the masses who don't own Macs but want a premium monitor. Having to connect with a Mini DP/USB/MagSafe tricord requires you to buy a Mac first. If you're looking for a premium picture, for $999 you might as well buy the Dell U2711, which is widely considered the king of monitors right now (and is in fact a close cousin of the Apple 24" and 27" cinema displays). Except with the U2711 you get every connection option known to man, a matte screen, better ms response, 100% color accuracy, the ability to swivel, and is virtually the same price. Unless if you're going for "the Mac look."
  • Reply 13 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

No 21.5" or 23" model for the Mac Mini and notebooks. Most disappointing. The market is allowed to have more than 1 displayport monitor.

It's probably hard to compete against the TN displays. There are other monitors with DP inputs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

I don't hate glossy, but I generally find the matte panels to be more comfortable.

If you're careful, you might be able to pull off the glass yourself.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's probably hard to compete against the TN displays. There are other monitors with DP inputs.

I don't hate glossy, but I generally find the matte panels to be more comfortable.

If you're careful, you might be able to pull off the glass yourself.

meh. There are plenty of manufacturers out there making great monitors that don't require modifications.

I just don't get apple's insistence that glossy is the only choice. Even the crts had a anti glare surface of some sort.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

yeah, i was noticing an old 30" at the apple store last week and it was funky fat looking.

hmmm, this might fit nicely next to my 27" iMac... lol, that would be silly...

Silly, but AWESOME!!!! hahaha. It's like getting a trackpad and magic mouse to use with a MACBOOK. Too much input
  • Reply 16 of 73
    I am longing for new version of the 30" display or even a 32".

Is there any gossip or insider news on that
  • Reply 17 of 73
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    2nd that!

27" is a bit of a downer...would have rather had 16:10 ratio, do appreciate the extra height and pixels
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

I feel you brother.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not out of the box (you need a mini to full DP adaptor) and not with integrated power, webcam, 2.1 speakers, and USB for a Macbook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

Apparently one size fits all.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Based on their displays page, it looks as though they're axing the $799 24" and replacing it with a $999 27". I hope that's not the case; $799 as the entry-price for a monitor from Apple was ridiculous enough already. They ought to keep the 24" around and lower the price to $599.