Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No USB 3, no eSATA, no Blu-Ray...

Wow, that's absolutely laughable, especially at the price. Well at least I don't to find the money for a new PC for another 6 months at least, or I'll just go back to Dell.

OMG... I can't believe people are still bitching about Blu-Ray. It's simple really. Sony want's to charge too high of a licensing fee.

Just go buy a firewire B-R drive that you can happily use on all of your machines.
  • Reply 22 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Was not that obvious since... long ago? However I think the iMac is still a solid computer. And if I am not mistaken, this is the first time a mainstream Apple computer gets 1 GB of memory for graphics (27" model).

The Mac Pro also got 5770 and 5870 1GB cards as options. At the prices listed, they certainly aren't what I would call mainstream tho so you're probably right
  • Reply 23 of 267
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Hi guys,

just saw the update and have been waiting for it. Now I wonder which one to get. It will definitely be a 21.5", as 27" is just to big for me. However I wonder wether I should spent extra money on the better graphics and processor (might even consider the core i5 upgrade), but I just don't whether it is worth it or not.

My use: light gaming, but not high end and latest and greatest games. More like WoW and other games that shouldn't be to graphic intense. Other than that, just the usual stuff. No fancy video editing either.

Just wondering if it is worth to spend £200+ for 500GB, a slightly better graphics card and eventually an upgrade to the core i5.

I would appreciate any advice.
  • Reply 24 of 267
  • Reply 25 of 267
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Curiously I am surprised that no one has mentioned that you can now order a Magic TrackPad with in along with a Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 26 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

OMG... I can't believe people are still bitching about Blu-Ray. It's simple really. Sony want's to charge too high of a licensing fee.

• Reply 27 of 267
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    What?!?! The least expensive iMac with the i3 chip has no Turbo Boost?!?!

WTF!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 267
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The Mac Pro also got 5770 and 5870 1GB cards as options. At the prices listed, they certainly aren't what I would call mainstream tho so you're probably right

Yes, I consider the Mac Pro as a workstation-class machine. The iMac is for the masses and that amount of graphics memory was not available before.
  • Reply 29 of 267
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No USB 3, no eSATA, no Blu-Ray... I'll just go back to Dell.

ROTFLMAO.

Yeah, go back to Dell.

Anyone expecting Blu-Ray on this iMac revision has been, shall we say, a wee bit out of touch recently.

Blu-Ray is a mess. I was watching a Blu-Ray movie last night (or trying to) while it repeatedly connected to the internet, downloading "content" that I have absolutely no interest in watching. There's no way around watching endless previews, intros, etc... I just want to watch the goddam movie! But no, Sony says you have to do this and wade through 15 minutes of junk before you watch a movie that you thought was yours.

You really want crap like that in a computer? Doesn't matter - the more important consideration is, does Apple want that in their computers? Obviously not.

You want to play Blu-Ray? Get a Blu-Ray player. Want a computer? Get an iMac.

Want to throw your money away on utter shit? Get a Dell. Or an HP.
  • Reply 30 of 267
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    So, what will be the performance difference between the old C2D of yesterday's iMac vs the Core i3 of today's iMac?
  • Reply 31 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

WTF!!!!!

Yeah the 3.06GHz i3 has no Turbo Boost, all the other models do. That's probably fine for the lowest end model, but it does seem odd. Does the line of i3 with turbo boost go no lower than 3.2GHz? If so that would explain it, another way for Apple to differentiate the product line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

So, what will be the performance difference between the old C2D of yesterday's iMac vs the Core i3 of today's iMac?

Faster processors and faster graphics across the board. Not sure what percentages we will see, but the new systems will certainly be faster.

Honestly the thing I'm disappointed about most in the iMac update is that we don't have DX11 video across the board. The 4670 is DX 10.1.
  • Reply 32 of 267
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Blu-Ray is a mess. I was watching a Blu-Ray movie last night (or trying to) while it repeatedly connected to the internet, downloading "content" that I have absolutely no interest in watching. There's no way around watching endless previews, intros, etc... I just want to watch the goddam movie! But no, Sony says you have to do this and wade through 15 minutes of junk before you watch a movie that you thought was yours.

Is THAT bad? Force you to watch things you don't want and were not meant to? Probably it makes little to no difference for TV junkies though.
  • Reply 33 of 267
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Much better deal than the last ones. Good update.
  • Reply 34 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Now that Apple is moving to SSD options in their iMacs and Mac Pro's, it would be nice if the next upgrade in OS X will support TRIM commands and address some of the issues that are found with SSDs.
  • Reply 35 of 267
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

WTF!!!!!

From reading Wikipedia, no i3 has Turbo Boost...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...22_.2832_nm.29
  • Reply 36 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

ROTFLMAO.

Yeah, go back to Dell.

Anyone expecting Blu-Ray on this iMac revision has been, shall we say, a wee bit out of touch recently.

You really want crap like that in a computer? Doesn't matter - the more important consideration is, does Apple want that in their computers? Obviously not.

You want to play Blu-Ray? Get a Blu-Ray player. Want a computer? Get an iMac.

Want to throw your money away on utter shit? Get a Dell. Or an HP.

Well, I don't want to buy a compressed crap, sold as HD movie, on iTunes store for 20 bucks, when I can get a true HD movie for 10 bucks. That's called throwing away your money on utter shit.
  • Reply 37 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

From reading Wikipedia, no i3 has Turbo Boost...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...22_.2832_nm.29

The 1499$ iMac with i3 processor does offer Turbo boost. You don't need to go Wikipedia for that. Read on the Apple website.
  • Reply 38 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Now that Apple is moving to SSD options in their iMacs and Mac Pro's, it would be nice if the next upgrade in OS X will support TRIM commands and address some of the issues that are found with SSDs.

This is really puzzling for me that Apple sells SSDs but doesn't want to offer TRIM support in OS X. This is really annoying . Apple shouldn't advertise Mac OS X as the most advanced OS while it doesn't actually support advanced technology like TRIM.
  • Reply 39 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

Sony want to charge high license fee and Apple want to charge high every Apple product. Right?
  • Reply 40 of 267
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

OMG... I can't believe people are still bitching about Blu-Ray. It's simple really. Sony want's to charge too high of a licensing fee.)

These myths again?

-Chris