Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 210
    Yes, I apologize. I really wanted a quad core for $1999 so I am getting hysterical. I'll be quiet now. The current box design has been superb since it came out, they just act like it is new in the promo. Really want one. I've been using minis and macbooks for years, hoping this summer to get a pro. Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

About not bouncing your Mac around. You are aware, I assume that the SSD's are MUCH faster than a mechanical HD?

• Reply 22 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

About not bouncing your Mac around. You are aware, I assume that the SSD's are MUCH faster than a mechanical HD?

About 3 times faster for probably 10x as much.

But it's an option. Anyone that doesn't want one doesn't have to buy one.
  • Reply 23 of 210
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthenidas View Post

Lame! I've been waiting for months for the Mac Pro update. I guess I had hoped that the large amount of time between updates meant that something noteworthy would happen in the update. A hackintosh is looking more and more attractive.

Go for it. And when you find or build one that comes anywhere near half of what Apple introduced today, let me know. Shit. I don't think I could live long enough, even if

I was born yesterday.
  • Reply 24 of 210
    awesome. I was bit worried that the Mac Pro was being ignored.

faith is restored.

and so is my passion

oh, how I want and desire a 12 core Mac Pro.

oh please can I have one, I am sure my bank will not allow me to buy one, lol
  • Reply 25 of 210
    -hh-hh Posts: 31member
    Have to say that I've been waiting for this update for quite awhile.

Unfortunately, my first reaction is "Meh...". After a 1.5 YEAR wait for an update, we finally get a slightly-better-than-utterly-nothing:

1) A slight CPU GHz bump (2.66 to 2.8 for the basic unit)

2) A slight HDD bump (640GB to 1 TB for the basic unit)

3) Option ($$) for 6-core CPUs (which IIRC weren't just released yesterday)

3) Option ($$) for SSD's ... which Enthusiasts have been adding on their own

4) Better video cards (with a second Mini DisplayPort)

What we didn't get:

a) Faster Firewire (or USB3)

b) A dedicated ("5th") SATA slot for an SSD

c) Any sort of a price break

d) More RAM slots for the single CPU configuration

Maybe I'll simply go buy a Mac mini as an interium "hold me over" from my G5 PowerMac at home. I've not been particularly impressed with the Mac Pro that I have at work, particularly since I have the recurring "lost your account" problem for which I have the SUDO RM /VAR/DB/DSLOCAL/NODES/DEFAULT/USERS/{user}.PLIST command that's use in Terminal to fix this ... physically taped onto the side of the machine.

-hh
  • Reply 26 of 210
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Maybe not what many had anticipated with no up grade to Firewire 1600 or 3200 or USB 3, but hope that since Apple is moving to SSD options in their iMacs and Mac Pro's, it would be nice if the next upgrade in OS X will support TRIM commands and address some of the issues that are found with SSDs.

SSD's have been available in the MBA and MBP's for sometime now.
  • Reply 27 of 210
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Sooo.... the rules are that the Apple Haters post first? Is that it?

I'm no Apple hater but I have to admit that if you want a high-powered desktop Mac, a hackintosh is indeed looking attractive now. I don't want/need one myself, but if I did I would weigh it as an option. You could easily save $1000 and not be stuck with the huge Mac Pro case. Those things are boat anchors--we have dozens of G5 towers sitting around here nobody wants because of their size. Meanwhile, lesser-powered G5 iMacs still get snatched up. \
  • Reply 28 of 210
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:

In fact, depending on what your specific usage is, the SSD upgrade can be the most significant performance item in your system. Obviously this opposite can also be true in that disk performance can be very insignificant. Personally, I have a Quad core Mac Pro right now and if someone offered me another processor for the system OR a 512MB SSD I would take the SSD. I however don't have any need for more processing cores, but the performance boost of the SSD would make a huge difference.

To each his own.
  • Reply 29 of 210
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    mac pros are killer. I had the original quad when it came out, and despite all the yelling that it was overpriced and someone could get 'X' for a thousand less, it was the best computer I've even bought and lasted for years, until I needed to go portable. (of course i7 portables made that easier...)

What exactly do people want apple to do with this amazing case?
  • Reply 30 of 210
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Wow, what a lame upgrade.

Slower chips in the quad, still only four ram slots. 4/8 ram slots in a triple channel system instead of 6/9. No faster USB, FW, or even esata.

Price increase on the eight core, for tiny improvements?

It's cool that they will have 12 core, but very expensive (although that's the case with PCs at that level as well), and the base models had barely any improvement at all (and a price bump). The quad was already outperformed by the top i7 and this does nothing to change that - it's kind of a joke that a "pro" machine at this price is clobbered by PCs that cost half as much.

Seriously, why doesn't apple just make the quad an i7 along with the matching components and get the same performance for WAY less?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Go for it. And when you find or build one that comes anywhere near half of what Apple introduced today, let me know. Shit. I don't think I could live long enough, even I was born yesterday.

I did that last fall. Blew away the base MP then and looks like it will easily blow away the new base model. And the six ram slots are nice too.
  • Reply 31 of 210
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    24 hardware threads!

I can see the SSD option spawning many threads in future with people asking the best combination of SSDs and HDs to buy
  • Reply 32 of 210
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's a workstation machine, it's not very comparable to consumer systems.

The Mac Pro was very good value when it was first introduced and has become progressively worse value as time has progressed (especially compared to the iMac). A 1-bin speed bump and last years graphics at the same price is what we get for waiting 1.5 years?
  • Reply 33 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

The Mac Pro was very good value when it was first introduced and has become progressively worse value as time has progressed (especially compared to the iMac). A 1-bin speed bump and last years graphics at the same price is what we get for waiting 1.5 years?

And in the case of the eight core, those modest improvements with a $200 price INCREASE.
  • Reply 34 of 210
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

It doesn't sound like he knows. I put a SSD drive into my 2006 Macbook and it really made it seem like a new computer! Boot time - 8 seconds. Programs launch immediately. SSD is a great option for a pro machine.
  • Reply 35 of 210
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

mac pros are killer. I had the original quad when it came out, and despite all the yelling that it was overpriced and someone could get 'X' for a thousand less, it was the best computer I've even bought and lasted for years, until I needed to go portable. (of course i7 portables made that easier...)

What exactly do people want apple to do with this amazing case?

I think the case is great. so comfortable to change RAM, hard discs etc. I really hope they keep this design for the years to come. Something perfect doesn't need to be changed.
  • Reply 36 of 210
    The one case improvement I'd like to see is more options for users to mount SSD since they are generally 2.5 drives.

They should be able to add a couple extra mini bays for those somewhere. Or at the very least, include a couple special drive sleds that hold two SSD each.
  • Reply 37 of 210
    I already answered that. I get it. Fast but expensive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

It doesn't sound like he knows. I put a SSD drive into my 2006 Macbook and it really made it seem like a new computer! Boot time - 8 seconds. Programs launch immediately. SSD is a great option for a pro machine.

• Reply 38 of 210
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

In fact, depending on what your specific usage is, the SSD upgrade can be the most significant performance item in your system.

Yes indeed, although I wish there were an option for a smaller and less pricey SSD. As is common in group professional environments, we keep all working files on our server. Local storage is only for the system, applications and some scratch storage. My guys could easily manage with <100GB SSDs in their workstations, and aftermarket units in that sort of size go for $200-ish.

Of course there's nothing to stop us from adding a relatively inexpensive 80-100GB boot SSD and keeping the original HD for backup use. However Mac support for third party SSDs is incomplete at present (no TRIM...or have they added that now?) and people have reported being unable to install the OS directly to the SSD (clone from the HD instead).
  • Reply 39 of 210
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How exactly is this lame?!?! You can now get up to 12 cores, better video, and SSDs straight from Apple. Of course, USB 3.0 would be nice, but what more were you looking for exactly?

Now, just as soon as I hit the Lotto I'll be able to order me one of these tricked out bad boys. Just imagine 12 cores and 2TB of SSD storage with 32GB of RAM and a top of the line video card.

It's _not_ a bad boy at all, that's the problem. This is not a gaming machine, it's a serious workstation for high-end applications. Apple's been so long getting this out, and it's coming out with enthusiast class chips, not workstation/server chips - by now, it should have the Nehalem-EX 8-core chips in it, not measly i7s.
  • Reply 40 of 210
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I guess part of what we pay Apple to do is come up with new designs, but for their "workstation" computer, I guess I don't see the need. What glaring deficiency is there in the case design of the MacPro?

We can (and should) certainly debate about whether BluRay should be an option, whether they really are offering the best available graphics cards and so forth, but the case design seems darn-near perfect.

Built-in obsolescence is a feature of consumer-level devices and goods (think how dated the "old" iPods from three years ago look, or the white iMacs). I just don't see the need to change what is a very functional design for a professional level machine.

i agree with you 100%. However disappointed people may be that they haven't changed the form-factor of the case is sort of just looking at the Pro only on the surface. The simplicity of the design and how it functions is truly the brilliance of this design. everything is organized in such a way that even a monkey could swap out hard drives and memory modules. This was definitely thought of from the inside out and not the reverse.

I only wish they had a mid-grade option like the cube was. For me, the Mac Mini is probably (today's design) all I need in a home computer. But I wish they would have an option that's between the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini in a stand-alone CPU. I may not need an option like this at home, but the Mac Pro is over kill for what I do at work (architecture and graphic design). And pitching a monitor every 3-5 years (which is the average industry lifespan based on lease agreements) just because the CPU is outdated and needing replacement is just plain wasteful.

Bring back the Cube!