Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

Comments

• Reply 101 of 267
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    These are nice updates. Sad not to see bluray as Steve'o wants to steer everyone to downloads. eSATA would be nice too as others mentioned. I'm surprised Apple isn't leading on USB3.0 but I would suspect they are trying to keep margins as high as possbile until USB3.0 becomes cheaper. That or they have too much supply of USB2.0 components. Or simply, OSX does not support USB 3.0 yet.
  • Reply 102 of 267
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slaqr View Post

As the title says, 11 days ago (unaware of the refresh) I purchased the low end previous generation iMac (3.06gHz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce 9400). It appears to me that apple charges a 10% restocking fee if a computer is returned within 14 days of the purchase date (please let me know if this is incorrect). Is it worth my money to return the previous generation in order to get the refreshed intel i3 generation? Aside from the processor upgrade and the graphical update, it seems like an irrelevant refresh.

Any opinions on this please?

Personally, I would take it back in and see if they will waive the restocking fee due to the new product release. If they don't waive the restocking fee, I'd probably still pay the penalty. Bear in mind that the processor upgrade also provides a pretty substantial memory performance upgrade not just in faster memory, but the integrated memory controller on the i3 gives you yet another memory performance boost. I think it would be worth the $110 or so that it would cost you.
  • Reply 103 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

I would return it and get the new one. If you find yourself locked out of some particular software feature in the future because of some obscure capability that was introduced with this current generation then you'll be kicking yourself.

I agree, even if you have to pay for restocking, getting a newer faster machine is better in the long run.
  • Reply 104 of 267
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    No it doesn't have USB 3, Firewire 3200, or Unicorn power. This is the iMac folks. The CONSUMER Mac.

The Mac Pros would get those features first. (which would be at MacWorld 2011 at the soonest)

But this is a solid upgrade from the previous model. The quad i5 is now up to twice as fast for my 3D rendering because it now has hyperthreading. For the same price as yesterday's quad i5.
  • Reply 105 of 267
    Yep, as far a Blu-ray...I for one don't want anymore physical media. I would like an option on the iMacs and MacBooks 'not' to have a superdrive! I never use them.

Best.
  • Reply 106 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRT View Post

For all the people disappointed with the lack of eSATA, Blu-ray, USB 3.0, etc., please let Apple actually know!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Good idea. I did just that and told them that until they offer non-glossy screens they can stuff it.
  • Reply 107 of 267
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

As the title says, 11 days ago (unaware of the refresh) I purchased the low end previous generation iMac (3.06gHz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce 9400). It appears to me that apple charges a 10% restocking fee if a computer is returned within 14 days of the purchase date (please let me know if this is incorrect). Is it worth my money to return the previous generation in order to get the refreshed intel i3 generation? Aside from the processor upgrade and the graphical update, it seems like an irrelevant refresh.

Any opinions on this please?

Ouch - that hurts. Let me comfort you by saying that every time I buy a new Mac it seems to be outdated and obsolete within a couple of months. In your case, though, Id check it out and return if the cost is acceptable.

But having said that - every time I buy a computer I pour over the specs, by my own Ram etc etc. The net result is always that the money I save I could have doubled by not obsessing and doing 'real' work instead. And the other more important thing is that I usually end up buying the lower spec'ed machine but when I turn it on I am happy as hell and it seems to be plenty fast. My alu MacBook (not pro) is 'old' now but it is still sweet and happy and zipping along.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quick question: My daughter just got a MacBookPro but is still using an old non 'n' airport express.

If I get her a new Express, would she see a noticeable difference in speed when online?

The speed of the airport express is better than she'll ever get on the web anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference. I am not sure if there is 'lag' involved with either g or n protocols / hardware. The advantage of n over g as far as I understand is just for networking activities (within you home)
  • Reply 108 of 267
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Sad to see the almost certain death of matte, I really hate to whine, but...in any case let's see if these have better anti reflective coatings, though I very much doubt it, sad ro see such beautiful machines which to many of us are a glare hell.
  • Reply 109 of 267
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Good idea. I did just that and told them that until they offer non-glossy screens they can stuff it.

I'll bet their day is now ruined!
  • Reply 110 of 267
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

No it doesn't have USB 3, Firewire 3200, or Unicorn power. This is the iMac folks. The CONSUMER Mac.

The Mac Pros would get those features first. (which would be at MacWorld 2011 at the soonest)

But this is a solid upgrade from the previous model. The quad i5 is now up to twice as fast for my 3D rendering because it now has hyperthreading. For the same price as yesterday's quad i5.

Agreed and disagree. While the lower to mid range iMacs are considered "consumer Macs" IMO the higher end iMacs are a bridge for those who are power users who don't want to go to the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 111 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The speed of the airport express is better than she'll ever get on the web anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference. I am not sure if there is 'lag' involved with either g or n protocols / hardware. The advantage of n over g as far as I understand is just for networking activities (within you home)

Thanks Paxman....Good to know!
  • Reply 112 of 267
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

It seems pretty clear that they went 5750 to save nearly 20W in the thermal profile. It's a decent step up from the previous iMac and you are never going to see the highest end gpu or CPU in an iMac or a laptop. The 5750 delivers 90% of 5770's performance at <85% of it's power profile and is a good tradeoff..

Well given that the 5770 is a rather low end part, especially for the 27" iMacs resolution, I wouldn't call it a good trade off.

The 5750 has less memory bandwidth than the 4850. With the same amount of memory, they will go back in forth on which is better in benchmarks. I would hardly call it a true upgrade to the 4850. More like a replacement that uses less power.

The real problem in the iMac is a design that forces Apple to use underpowered hardware given the native resolution of the iMac's display. Of course, nobody was expecting a redesign of the iMac at this time and even if they did make a change it would probably be just to make it .125 of an inch thinner.

Of course the real let down in the iMac line is no USB 3.0. As another person mentioned, the iMac at one time was know for having class leading hardware. This refresh could have been announced 4 months ago.

-kpluck
  • Reply 113 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gypsyguy View Post

That is funny, I could not find it on Apple's website or Intel's website. Turbo Boost is offered only for i5 and i7

You didn't look very well. it's clearly stated on Apple's website. http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Quote:

Aside from the processor upgrade and the graphical update, it seems like an irrelevant refresh.

That GPU update will be a huge difference. I would take it back personally.
  • Reply 114 of 267
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

As the title says, 11 days ago (unaware of the refresh) I purchased the low end previous generation iMac (3.06gHz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce 9400). It appears to me that apple charges a 10% restocking fee if a computer is returned within 14 days of the purchase date (please let me know if this is incorrect). Is it worth my money to return the previous generation in order to get the refreshed intel i3 generation?

It's worth it to get a new one and NOT pay the 10% restocking.

You should contact Apple and explain you wqould have waited had you known the new one was coming out and that they should waive the 10% restocking fee (which can easlily be done by the local manager or at the online store).

You need to call or go to the store where you purchased it, ASAP.

If you have been an Apple customer with previous computer purchases, point that out. Be polite but firm that you would like this new computer but don't want to pay 10% for the privilege.
  • Reply 115 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gypsyguy View Post

That is funny, I could not find it on Apple's website or Intel's website. Turbo Boost is offered only for i5 and i7

"21.5-inch models, one of the following:

3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading

3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost"
  • Reply 116 of 267
    crtcrt Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

I'll bet their day is now ruined!

It's not about ruining Apples day, it's about leaving feedback. If you want something you should let Apple know, and while you may not care about their potential lost profits I'm sure they do. If apple receives enough complaints they will eventually take notice.
  • Reply 117 of 267
    £999.99GBP for the base model in Britain...

Exchange rate for that amount would get me in excess of $1500US

Even with VAT added, it's not even close - another Apple European rip off.

I wonder if they have the gall to put prices up when VAT goes up to 20% in January. Why am I even speculating of course they will - getting really tired of European customers subsidising cheaper US prices.

I'm sure the last time I was outraged at some exorbitant Euro/US price difference there was a whiff of something official statement claiming that there's extra costs associated with infrastructure or some such. Such as what? US computer company, made in China - I'm sure they're just as costly to get to any part of the globe and in any case suck it up - you're a global business.

rant ends, sorry.
  • Reply 118 of 267
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Surprised at no USB3 as well. Given USB and FW, what would eSATA get you?

External drive connection faster than USB2 and FW800.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Why would I need USB 3 and eSATA exactly? What might I be hooking up to this that would benefit from those interfaces (that Firewire 800 and USB 2 don't already deliver)? It's an honest question. Are those "omissions" a big deal?

USB2 and FW800 aren't fast enough to keep up with the faster hard drives that are shipping these days (even more so with SSD). esata (and the newer USB and FW speeds) gives you a connection to the hard drive that's just as fast as having an internal drive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And what, exactly, are you going to connect to eSATA? Is it faster than FW800? Sure. But other than a fast RAID, which is still fairly uncommon for consumers to own, what peripheral are you going to connect that will take advantage of eSATA's speed? You might get a slight benefit if you have a very fast single external drive, but not enough to justify adding that new port.

Very fast single external drive. Additional benefit if it had multiple discrete esata busses. And I disagree that the benefit isn't worth it, it's an easy port to support considering they already have the internal sata.
  • Reply 119 of 267
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

What a beautiful machine. Still have the original intel white 20" iMac....planning to go mobile with an iPad, iPhone 4 and an iPad 3Gs.

But if business was good, I would pick one of these up in heart beat. Do see the rational of waiting for USB 3.0 though.

Quick question: My daughter just got a MacBookPro but is still using an old non 'n' airport express.

If I get her a new Express, would she see a noticeable difference in speed when online?

Thanks guys.

Best

Yes she would see a difference.

I would not go back to g.
  • Reply 120 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grobelaar View Post

£999.99GBP for the base model in Britain...

Exchange rate for that amount would get me in excess of $1500US

Even with VAT added, it's not even close - another Apple European rip off.

I suggest you do not purchase one then the price (difference) is irrelevant.