Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores

Comments

• Reply 61 of 210
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Really this MP and the imac updates are the bare minimum to qualify as updated lines. No technology advances whatsoever. Kind of disappointing when you think of it, especially when compared to the rest of the desktop market or even Apples own mobile lines which are putting forth innovative new features.. Simply no innovation this time around.
  • Reply 62 of 210
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

He won't say it in public, but Steve must be saying to himself ? this is old school technology, and well, we just aren't going to waste any more time, energy or money on it folks. It's time for folks to step up to today's technology and that means "Buy" an iPhone / iPad, and your life will be complete.

Skip

It'll be interesting when there's no content to consume on the iDevices because there are no computers left to create it on ?
  • Reply 63 of 210
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    These look nice but are way overpriced compared to the new iMacs. Apple now sells a single CPU MP for more than the original MP with 2 CPUs. And the Corei5 iMac is $500 cheaper than the entry level MP and includes a 27" screen while offering comparable CPU performance and more RAM.

I've been wanting an Intel Mac tower for long time, but the prices are ridiculous. I'd love an iMac but unfortunately I require PCIe slots for special audio DSP cards I use. Sticking with my PC for my desktop needs unfortunately.
  • Reply 64 of 210
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FineTunes

The only current options are third party SSD's like

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter..._SSD_Sandforce

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Their chart suggests the performance of competing drives go to almost zero over time. That seems very dishonest, the figures I recall were a 25% drop without TRIM, certainly nothing like a 90% drop.

Started new thread re SSD's @

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...46#post1684446

if anyone is interested. SSD's are getting cheaper and larger in capacity and it appears that Apple is slowly making the move to SSD's.
  • Reply 65 of 210
    garibagariba Posts: 9member
    no nVidia cards no CUDA GPU processing...

Bad for imaging...
  • Reply 66 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

It'll be interesting when there's no content to consume on the iDevices because there are no computers left to create it on …

For consumer content creation, I don't think that's going to be a problem, I would expect something like the iPad would be able to do just as well as a desktop. For example, the viral video "Apple of my Eye" was shot and edited 100% on an iPhone. And that was done a lot more professionally than most consumer videos.

The professionals will still get their desktops and laptops.
  • Reply 67 of 210
    delete
  • Reply 68 of 210
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's a great looking case that acts as a giant heat-sink. Changing it simply for the sake of changing it just means that you should consider having your kool-aid checked.

I agree. as you can see I like the aluminum case:

• Reply 69 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I agree. as you can see I like the aluminum case:

Our OS X server is the most beautiful server in our rack, course that's not hard when the rest are IBMs and Dells.
  • Reply 70 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While it's disappointing, I sure didn't expect to see USB 3, and no way expected a faster FW.

I had minimal hopes for an Express 3 buss.

Otherwise, it's a good upgrade. Won't replace my early 2009 Mac Pro with this though. Possibly when it's upgraded to those other standards (hopefully Lightpeak though) I will.

Right now I want to replace my 4870 with a faster ATI card, and that's about it. I can always add faster ports when they come out in a card, as I did with my e-SATA drives.
  • Reply 71 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Sooo.... the rules are that the Apple Haters post first? Is that it?

Haha! The rules are: antenna trolls post first!
  • Reply 72 of 210
    Wow... now that's a nice rack.
  • Reply 73 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While it's disappointing, I sure didn't expect to see USB 3, and no way expected a faster FW.

I had minimal hopes for an Express 3 buss.

Otherwise, it's a good upgrade. Won't replace my early 2009 Mac Pro with this though. Possibly when it's upgraded to those other standards (hopefully Lightpeak though) I will.

Right now I want to replace my 4870 with a faster ATI card, and that's about it. I can always add faster ports when they come out in a card, as I did with my e-SATA drives.

Yes, such at the NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 Controller Card. Driverless, hot plug, etc. Anyone tried this nifty card?
  • Reply 74 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodycelt View Post

Wow... now that's a nice rack.

To paraphrase Teri Garr in Young Frankenstein: Why thank you doctor!
  • Reply 75 of 210
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    from article description:

Quote:

one 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon W3680 processor for the quad-core Mac Pro;

my nitpick:

it seems that one 3.33GHZ 6-core is no longer a quad core, right?...

my question is:

why isn't the 3.33GHz 6-core available as dual CPU?

my problem:

$4999 for a 12-core?? yikes!
  • Reply 76 of 210
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

They are coming out in August.

BS on the price points and BS on the fact that it is still the same case as 6 years ago!

From a design point of view for looks, easy updating and access what would you change? Just curious.
  • Reply 77 of 210
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Some questions (my apologizes if they were already answered in the thread):

1) 6Gbps SATA?

2) Intel’s 1ku charge for these 12-core chips?
  • Reply 78 of 210
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

These look nice but are way overpriced compared to the new iMacs. Apple now sells a single CPU MP for more than the original MP with 2 CPUs. And the Corei5 iMac is $500 cheaper than the entry level MP and includes a 27" screen while offering comparable CPU performance and more RAM.

I've been wanting an Intel Mac tower for long time, but the prices are ridiculous. I'd love an iMac but unfortunately I require PCIe slots for special audio DSP cards I use. Sticking with my PC for my desktop needs unfortunately.

Might I suggest: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Apple...=p3286.c0.m282
  • Reply 79 of 210
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    Nah, not too impressed about the updates....The prices seems to be hiked on all new macs, if i remember correct Apple used too previously always lower the prices, guess they're not yet satisfied with the profit margins I will wait till the next update, if that one has some of the new tech that is bound (Lightpeak/USB 3.0, BD etc.) i'll get it, if it's not worth it, i'll just go for the TOTL 27" iMac
  • Reply 80 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

mac pros are killer. I had the original quad when it came out, and despite all the yelling that it was overpriced and someone could get 'X' for a thousand less, it was the best computer I've even bought and lasted for years, until I needed to go portable. (of course i7 portables made that easier...)

What exactly do people want apple to do with this amazing case?

In addition to the Mac Pro line, cut the Mac Pro case down and offer a Mac Pro Junior, 1 4-core processor, 4 memory slots, room for 2 HDs, 1 optical drive, and a slot for a video card. But don't hold your breath for this to ever happen.