Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop

Comments

• Reply 81 of 143
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    I see the Apple Mouse is also available, as well as the Magic Mouse and the trackpad...just wondering, does that mean the Magic Mouse is a bit overhyped? I would be curious to hear from people who have the Magic Mouse to see if they like it.
  • Reply 82 of 143
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Personally speaking, the apple keyboard is the best built, nicest typing experience I've ever had. The magic mouse is superb and the trackpad exactly what I've been waiting for - ordered and can't wait to experience it. If I don't like it, or it develops a fault, I'll return it. Apple make superb input devices. Only fail I've ever come across being the 'hockey-puck' mouse, which was terrible.

The Apple hockey-puck mouse yo-yo is pretty nice, though.

But, I have to agree on the keyboard. I've used a lot of keyboards over the years -- desktop, laptop, 3rd party, ... -- and the Apple keyboard has, far and away, the best feel to it of any keyboard I have ever used.

I'm very happy with the Magic Mouse, too, but I'll be getting a Magic Trackpad the next time at an Apple store. If it's really nice, maybe I'll change my name here to anonytrackpad.
  • Reply 83 of 143
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Finally there is parity of input across the Mac line of computers! I've been waiting for trackpad access on the iMac for years now. I thought the Magic Mouse would be that solution, but that hasn't panned out. Now I'll have a trackpad for my iMac with all the same functionality as a Mac Notebook.

Getting this on my lunch break today.
  • Reply 84 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Well, between the iPad satisfying most of my mobile needs and the Magic Trackpad fixing my inability to comfortably use a standard mouse after a decade of notebook use I may just get a Mac desktop for my next machine. I never thought I’d be saying that.

* Once they fix the Safari caching bug.
  • Reply 85 of 143
    I asked apple for something like this, but attached to the keyboard with number pad. I think it will sell in respectable numbers. Not in iphone numbers. But when the masses see this pad they'll think it's a drawing/writing pad. It will be a lot of dissappointment and I don't blame them for feeling so. Apple will need to educate people about its pros and cons.

I bought the MBP because 10.6 and the trackpad support chinese input with your finger input. Now imac and pro users can enjoy the same.

A third party company produces a stylus called the Pogo with software that works with the trackpad. It's mostly a drawing app. And the pogo has a soft rounded tip that's not precise enough for real work but still fun.

As an aside, the magic mouse is nice and works for the most part. I like the non-moving parts. No gummed up grime. But it is the most uncomfortable mouse ever since the puck mouse! It's too small and I have small hands. It feels like a sliver of soap that's going to be washed away. Make it bigger.
  • Reply 86 of 143
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It would be good if Apple offered like a 4 finger triple tap that just displayed a little gesture chart, in case you needed it.

There were videos in the System Prefs at the time the multitouch trackpads showed up on the MBPs, right?
  • Reply 87 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm very happy with the Magic Mouse, too, but I'll be getting a Magic Trackpad the next time at an Apple store. If it's really nice, maybe I'll change my name here to anonytrackpad.

^^^^
  • Reply 88 of 143
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I assume my Apple Store will have these today and I will be getting one. More to follow.

My local Apple Store didn't have them when I checked at lunchtime
  • Reply 89 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

How is a smooth trackpad with no touch feedback or visual information going to work as a remote? Have you ever bothered to observe how remotes are used? By touch and sight. I don't see how this could possibly be a good remote. Even Apple's own remote app requires some visual input, even if it has no touch feedback. What if the monitor isn't on and you want to change music? Or you're in another room and need to change libraries or turn off something you don't want the kids to watch? How are you going to use a trackpad then? Obviously these are comments by people who have never used a central home entertainment system. Stupid idea to use a trackpad.

I would prefer the remote be an ipad or ipod or iphone device any day. Think about it, for the same price as a harmony remote you could have a killer remote out of an Ipod touch + remote app.

Bottom line, A trackpad remote is USELESS!

Um, i'd rather spend $70 on a limited remote than spend $200 on the holy grail of remotes.

In regards to visual input, I agree with you. As anything Apple releases, the second/third version will offer much more functionality. As the price of e-ink touch screens go down, I can see that incorporated into the Magic Trackpad. Until that point, they need to keep the price relatively affordable so that people actually purchase this and it's not another "hobby" product.

Magic TrackPad v2.0 will be the one and only remote you'll ever need all for just $70.
  • Reply 90 of 143
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Another thumbs down vote for the charger.
    1. AA batteries only. Should charge AAAs too.

2. It should charge 4 batteries at a time.

3. Lacks USB connection for charging off of USB port.

4. Lack of battery capacity indicators similar to the MacBook.

• Reply 91 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Another thumbs down vote for the charger.
    1. AA batteries only. Should charge AAAs too.

2. It should charge 4 batteries at a time.

3. Lacks USB connection for charging off of USB port.

4. Lack of battery capacity indicators similar to the MacBook.

1. Does Apple have any peripherals that take AAA batteries? Remember, this is a "greening" of their battery-operated peripherals. (PR reasons.)

2. Yeah, it probably should take four, but they are going for low power consumption and small size. You won't exactly be charging the trackpad/mouse/keyboard batteries every week. (PR reasons.)

3. You don't actually want USB-based AA battery charging. These are desktop peripherals. (Engineering reasons.)

4. If you'll notice, the battery capacity indicators are in the *batteries*. What other AA batteries have this? (Cost + engineering reasons.)

• Reply 92 of 143
    Im guessing these rechargeable batteries are like the eneloop batteries I've been using for over a year now.
  • Reply 93 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Im guessing these rechargeable batteries are like the eneloop batteries I've been using for over a year now.

I'll be interesting to see some test results as these get rolled out and the tech websites get a hold of them.

What's different AFAICT is the charger's power usage once the batteries are charged (i.e. "vampire power").
  • Reply 94 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

You need textile feel when you are working with multiple buttons.

We know what you meant but the correct usage I believe is: Tactile Feedback

Maybe the track pad has a silky smooth feel as well.
  • Reply 95 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What is the capacity of the batteries and what is the charge time? Can you use 3rd party batteries?

Why....?
  • Reply 96 of 143
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Goodbye Magic Mouse. Getting ready to go to the store right now.

lol don't expect to find any.
  • Reply 97 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What is the capacity of the batteries and what is the charge time? Can you use 3rd party batteries?

Why....?

If it's a good charger with adequate charge rates and low "vampire power" consumption once the charge is complete, why not?
  • Reply 98 of 143
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I assume my Apple Store will have these today and I will be getting one. More to follow.

Why would you assume that? That's almost never the case.

The magic mouse wasn't in stores for more than week.
  • Reply 99 of 143
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The magic trackpad looks cool I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it's slight incline actually makes it more comfortable then even a laptop trackpad. I am surprised about the battery charger though. Can any rechargeable batteries out there get the life of lithium batteries yet?
  • Reply 100 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBoogieBoard View Post

I feel that steve jobs is just trying to extend his control over us. I know apple is pushing for the green image, but apple branded battery chargers? what's next, apple kitchens???

You don't have to buy them, ya know!

There are lots of other options for AA batteries (alkaline, rechargeable, etc.), it's not like new trackpad only works with Apple AA batteries!