Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    The same jackholes would likely have sued if instead of shutting down in high temperature - the iPad instead swelled to three times its thickness and oozed corrosive materials from the battery causing the user physical injury. and if THAT was the case - then MAYBE - they would have a basis - PROVIDED they were not exceeding the supported operating environment.

Some of IBM's most recent documents for servers require that customers ensure their environments are low dust - lots of airflow to keep these things cool - and dust is the enemy.

Let's see - need to sue auto manufacturers as well because I can drive a car faster than is safe to do so and then am unable to brake hard enough going into that hairpin turn to avoid going over the cliff - clearly the fault of the manufacturer especially when they show commercials of their cars moving.
  • Reply 22 of 118
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Me thinks these folks have been sitting out in the sun too long.
  • Reply 23 of 118
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    "Apple is accused of numerous misdeeds, including fraud, negligent misrepresentation, deceptive advertising practices, intentional misrepresentation, breach of warranty, and unfair business practices under the Unfair Competition Act."

Wow. Good luck proving ANY of those things. If I were defending this, I would just say "Judge, here is a printout of the Web page that clearly states the operating conditions top out at 95 degrees F and here's where the same thing is printed on the box. Here is our test data showing that an iPad can operate under heavy load for xx hours at 95 degees + y. Yes it would be nice if we could ignore the rules of physics and design an identical product that can operation in 140 degree direct sunlight, but we can't. And we clearly said that the iPad can't. Oh and we'd like to countersue for court costs plus add a penalty for gross abuse of the legal system."
  • Reply 24 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

I have the same problem with chocolate. Maybe I should sue all chocolate makers because I can't enjoy my melted chocolate in direct sunlight because it overheated.

Seriously though... all of the frivolous lawsuits have an impact on Apple earnings and shareholder equity. I think what is needed is a class action suit by Apple shareholders against all these people who file these frivolous suits. Some are justified, but ones like this are beyond intelligence.

As Chocolate manufactures from around the world deny that their products suffer adverse affects from being exposed to temperature ranges outside that of an air conditioning living room - the M&M Mars corporation holds a press release to announce that ALL chocolate suffers from temperature related impact to their performance - which is why they have being including "Bumper Cases" on M&Ms candies including plain, peanut, pretzel, mini, and including various dark chocolate etc and has been including these "candy shells" on such product for years.

The media responds to the M&Ms press release by asking why still no "white" chocolate M&Ms? are you artificially restricting the availability of white M&Ms just to increase demand? Other critics have pointed out that the M&Ms bumper does not really solve the problem of temperature induced performance impacts on the chocolate itself - but the bumpers do help tremendously with the those who were told that they were holding the chocolate wrong.
  • Reply 25 of 118
    drhamaddrhamad Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Quote:

"The iPad overheats so quickly under common weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use either indoors, or in many other warm conditions, for a variety of common uses such as, but not necessarily limited to, an e-reader, e-mail tool, Web browser and/or game/entertainment unit," it states.

Maybe they need to learn how to ready before they start using the iPad as an eBook reader.

Quote:

Environmental requirements

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Well, as much as I think this suit is ridiculous, I do have to be fair to them here:

The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F and it be too hot for the iPad (or in my case, iPhone) to operate, because if it's in direct sunlight it's usually heating up far beyond the ambient. This is NOT covered by the Apple statement.

But I mean, c'mon. This is common sense.
  • Reply 26 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

Common sense - is all too uncommon these days.

The latest iPad accessory: http://www.movincool.com/images/products/10/pic1_s.jpg generator not included
  • Reply 27 of 118
    i'm surprised these geniuses / business savants didn't call 911 when their ipads started to overheat (allegedly)
  • Reply 28 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

As Chocolate manufactures from around the world deny that their products suffer adverse affects from being exposed to temperature ranges outside that of an air conditioning living room - the M&M Mars corporation holds a press release to announce that ALL chocolate suffers from temperature related impact to their performance - which is why they have being including "Bumper Cases" on M&Ms candies including plain, peanut, pretzel, mini, and including various dark chocolate etc and has been including these "candy shells" on such product for years.

The media responds to the M&Ms press release by asking why still no "white" chocolate M&Ms? are you artificially restricting the availability of white M&Ms just to increase demand? Other critics have pointed out that the M&Ms bumper does not really solve the problem of temperature induced performance impacts on the chocolate itself - but the bumpers do help tremendously with the those who were told that they were holding the chocolate wrong.

Hot diggity, LOL Supposed to melt in mouth not hand! Sue sue sue sue sue sue !!!
  • Reply 29 of 118
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I shut down if you leave me out in the sun for too long, thanks to my baldy head.

I'm going to sue toupee manufacturers for failing to produce a product to protect my head that doesn't make me look like a dick.
  • Reply 30 of 118
    zmonsterzmonster Posts: 18member
    F*** these lawyers.
  • Reply 31 of 118
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Lots of things overheat in direct sunlight. These lawsuits are about money for the lawyers. Not that I'm saying anything new. Arrogant evil fkcrz.
  • Reply 32 of 118
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Everybody wants free money. What a frivolous lawsuit. We all foot the bill in higher costs for merchandise, insurance premiums and delays in product releases. It makes me pretty angry that people are so selfish and greedy.
  • Reply 33 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Countersuit! We should all join in a class-action suit to sue the people filing this suit. Reason: Negatively affecting the stock price and generating ill will toward Apple fans.

• Reply 34 of 118
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I have to say, living in the cold and rainy UK, I was surprised when I took my iPad to Italy this summer and saw the overheating message for the first time. But also because I'm not American, my first thought when something unexpected happens isn't "who can I sue?" (I realise not all Americans are like that, but there is certainly a litigation culture - personally I blame the lawyers!)

I haven't seen the claim that the iPad is "just like reading a book" - perhaps that's an ad unique to America? As others have pointed out, I can think of several ways the iPad differs from a book! Perhaps over here that would amount to false advertising (remember how Apple had to remove their claim that the iPhone accesses the "full internet" because of our slightly over-the-top advertising rules) but how can you sue over this?

I'm not an expert in US law, but the idea of compensation/damages is to put you back in the position you would have been in if it weren't for the act or omission, so basically your award would be a refund of the price of your iPad? Are these people claiming they were so traumatised by the overheating experience that they need more cash?
  • Reply 35 of 118
    Apple in "Things get hot in the sun" lawsuit shocker?

Excuse me, I'm off to sue my local theme park for getting wet on the log flume and river rapids.
  • Reply 36 of 118
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm getting pretty sick of my phone getting hot when I stick it in the oven... I think I'll sue HTC.
  • Reply 37 of 118
    The Apple iPad. The magical device with which you can surf the web. Read email. Play games. Create presentations. You can even read books on the iPad.

But you still can?t cook on it! -- Until now*! --

Introducing myCooktop? ? the 21st century solution to fast home cooking!

Not only can you conduct a day?s work on your iPad, but you can now use it to cook dinner! Forget your giant, inconvenient stove. Forget your messy oven. Never empty the ashes in your grill again. myCooktop grills, it boils, it roasts, it fries?

How much would you pay for this convenience? $1000? $100?

Act within the next 15 minutes and get myCooktop for the low low price of just $.99!! But hurry! Supplies are limited.

*Seriously ? don?t try to cook anything on your iPad. It will probably void your warranty and will definitely make it smell bad. Otherwise, have fun pretending to cook a fabulous virtual meal! And be careful! Don?t touch the burners - they?re HOT!

Download Now
  • Reply 38 of 118
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I read in a post here on AI a while back that had a buyer ask about that issue to a rep at an Apple store. The rep mentioned that it wasn't actually a "heating" problem per-se but more of a safety feature that prevents the iPad from being damaged from the heat.

Where other electronics would simply fry, Apple designed the iPad to prevent self-destruction should the owner decide to leave that thing out in the sun.

Dumba** lawyers. I think Apple should go after these guys.
  • Reply 39 of 118
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

Well, as much as I think this suit is ridiculous, I do have to be fair to them here:

The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F and it be too hot for the iPad (or in my case, iPhone) to operate, because if it's in direct sunlight it's usually heating up far beyond the ambient. This is NOT covered by the Apple statement.

I think you are basically just making this up. Please point to the study or article or your personal tests that even indicate this is true, let alone prove it.

If, as you say, the iPad overheats when the ambient temperature is 95 degrees fahrenheit then these people actually have a good case and Apple is on the hook for millions in damages.

I don't believe this is true. I think you are just assuming stuff here that isn't actually in evidence.
  • Reply 40 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you are basically just making this up. Please point to the study or article or your personal tests that even indicate this is true, let alone prove it.

If, as you say, the iPad overheats when the ambient temperature is 95 degrees fahrenheit then these people actually have a good case and Apple is on the hook for millions in damages.

I don't believe this is true. I think you are just assuming stuff here that isn't actually in evidence.

All he was saying is that there can be a significant difference between ambient temperature and the temperature of an object placed in direct sunlight.