Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

1679111214

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 267
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


    According to Apple the 3.2GHz Core i3 supports TurboBoost

    According to Intel the 3.2GHz Core i3 does NOT support TurboBoost



    One of them isn't telling the truth.



    Maybe it?s a button on the front of the iMac like crappy desktop PCS used to offer.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBoogieBoard View Post


    Blu-ray and USB 3.0 were a must for me to upgrade. They didn't appear, despite the rumors (recurring theme???) and that makes me annoyed. I am really surprised that they didn't even surface in the new Mac Pros, as an upgradable option. Hopefully this will come soon, as well to the Mac Minis, as I am holding off on getting one (want to use it as a media centre) until they have blu ray. I could just have an external blu ray drive, but where would be the fun in that???



    Welcome to the forum, but you shouldn?t expect a Blu-ray drive from Apple. They have yet to add AACS to their OS which would allow 3rd-party Blu-ray drives, internal and external, playback protected Blu-ray content and they?ve waited this long where other tech is advancing faster in capacity and speed over optical media (not to mention their competing digital download service) so it?s a wait of time to wait for Blu-ray.





    PS: Has anyone seen Netflix latest stats on downloaded content verse physical content?
  • Reply 162 of 267
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 18member
    The new iMacs seem pretty decent for what is offered. As far as Blu-ray, it's pretty easy buy a ext BD drive and get Roxio Toast, I don't need to watch BD's on my computer, that's what my 52" tv is for.



    What is disappointing for me and I have been waiting to upgrade for almost 5 yrs from a Quad G5 is the lack of USB 3.0 or something comparable. And here is why: I do both video and sound editing and when it comes to editing video especially HD video and layering that video with multiple layers you simply need some type of fast raid array. Even with a internal SSD which is great, you always want your audio/video files on a separate drive away from your program drive, this is where USB 3.0, esata or possible future coming light peak comes into play. I'm hopeful that maybe next year the Macbook pro's or iMac's will have some type of fast ext port to connect to say a fast SSD raid array.



    Ok Apple you make some great computers can we get some type of fast ext port in the near future on either a Macbook pro or iMac instead of the only option being a Mac pro tower, which is overkill for me.
  • Reply 163 of 267
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    that's far more embarrassing.



    ^^^^^^ That is far more embarrassing. Live a little.



    "Lighten up, Francis!"
  • Reply 164 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Does using an embiggened font somehow make your argument more compelling?



    Or less...







    Does using cromulent words make your comment more snarky?
  • Reply 165 of 267
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jk7117 View Post


    Ok Apple you make some great computers can we get some type of fast ext port in the near future on either a Macbook pro or iMac instead of the only option being a Mac pro tower, which is overkill for me.



    The 17" MBP still has the ExpressCard/34 slot.
  • Reply 166 of 267
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post


    Does using cromulent words make your comment more snarky?



    Apparently. As intended.
  • Reply 167 of 267
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    does using a word like embiggened make you somehow more like Sarah Palin



    Or less ...





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Actually, it makes me look like a Simpsons fan. Which I am.





    That's a cromulent point.





    Irregardless, Are you implyificating that what joelsalt just speakified should be refudiated?





  • Reply 168 of 267
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Looks like a pretty healthy upgrade to me.
  • Reply 169 of 267
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    The 17" MBP still has the ExpressCard/34 slot.



    Yes, you are absolutely right and I considered buying one of those because it does have the increased speed for a ext. raid, but when I checked barefeets.com speed tests it is still a bit hampered.



    I'm sure at some point in the future they will have something much faster for a ext connection, for now I'll stick w/my current set-up & see what they bring to market next year. The sandy bridge intel chips look promising for a future macbook pro, so we'll see.
  • Reply 170 of 267
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jk7117 View Post


    The new iMacs seem pretty decent for what is offered. As far as Blu-ray, it's pretty easy buy a ext BD drive and get Roxio Toast, I don't need to watch BD's on my computer, that's what my 52" tv is for.



    What is disappointing for me and I have been waiting to upgrade for almost 5 yrs from a Quad G5 is the lack of USB 3.0 or something comparable. And here is why: I do both video and sound editing and when it comes to editing video especially HD video and layering that video with multiple layers you simply need some type of fast raid array. Even with a internal SSD which is great, you always want your audio/video files on a separate drive away from your program drive, this is where USB 3.0, esata or possible future coming light peak comes into play. I'm hopeful that maybe next year the Macbook pro's or iMac's will have some type of fast ext port to connect to say a fast SSD raid array.



    Ok Apple you make some great computers can we get some type of fast ext port in the near future on either a Macbook pro or iMac instead of the only option being a Mac pro tower, which is overkill for me.



    Dude...the new Mac Pros with 12 cores don't even come with USB 3.0 yet....um....so being dissaponted about the iMac not having it seems kinda silly. It's gonna be awhile I would imagine.
  • Reply 171 of 267
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post


    That's a cromulent point.





    Irregardless, Are you implyificating that what joelsalt just speakified should be refudiated?









    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"



  • Reply 172 of 267
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post


    Dude...the new Mac Pros with 12 cores don't even come with USB 3.0 yet....um....so being dissaponted about the iMac not having it seems kinda silly. It's gonna be awhile I would imagine.



    not necessarily, with a mac pro you can get a fibre ch card which is way faster than USB 3.0, I just don't want to spend that much or go that high end, so I'd like to see a fast ext port on the lower end of either the iMac's or macbook pro's.



    but your right it's probably going to be awhile
  • Reply 173 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedarddc View Post


    The top end 27-inch quad core iMacs are definitely going backwards in terms of graphics horsepower for games.

    While the older ATI 4850 was an underclocked version of the desktop part, the 5770 is not directly related to the desktop counterpart, sporting 400 instead of 800 shaders. On top of that, the 5770 has less bandwidth (128 vs. 256) than the 4850, which may or may not be offset by the memory (GDDR5 vs. GDDR3).

    However, if you don't play games, I would argue the new GPU is better for applications like Photoshop which benefit from a larger memory buffer.

    Still, if you play games, it is definitely a step back even if you consider playing DirectX 11 games under windows, because they can be played by a DirectX 10.1 card.



    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23245.0.html

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI...0.13975.0.html



    The refurbished iMac 2.8 Quad Core i7 can be picked up here:

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0...co=MTU0MzQ1NjE



    The iMac uses desktop CPUs, not laptop CPUs. Are these mobile graphics? Looking at desktop parts, the 4850 had a total bandwidth of 63.55 GB/s. The 5750 in the iMac has 73.6 GB/s. Not to mention a lot less electricity used. If these are laptop graphics being used then it's 54.4 vs 51.2, which would be a very small bandwidth decrease.
  • Reply 174 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    I haven't noticed every other machine out there with all of these. It's still fresh tech and there could be licensing and other issues.



    Now when you can get them on even the dumpiest of cheapo computers but not Apple, there's a problem.



    Yeah there is a problem with Apple and with Apple fanboys like you.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Why is anyone shocked about this. Jobs has all but said there will never be built in Blu-ray in the Macs. He is going with digital downloads and SD cards. It's clear in his statements and in their actions.



    Steve Jobs isn't the God of tech that whatever he believes and does should be the ultimate standard and people can't question it. Perhaps people like you who have no idea of improving things can shut up and follow what Steve does. People like me will definitely point out what we think is right or wrong.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Based on what? That they aren't designing their systems the way you and the supergeeks that make up perhaps 5% of the customer base want them to be designed. Get over it. You and your buddies are a serious minority. And Apple is a business that is about making scads of money, so they are going to design for the bigger group especially in terms of their imacs and laptops. And that group doesn't care about esata, usb 3.0 etc. Nor are they bothered by a lack of blu-ray in their computers cause they would rather watch them on their big 40"+ tvs. Especially since so many blu-rays come with free digital copies for their computers, ipads etc



    Yeah that's true Apple is all for making money and we are all for getting the most out of our money spent on Macs. We want to have more value for money spent and there is nothing wrong in it. I don't understand why you are shouting from the hips. Do you own Apple so you have a problem in giving more stuff on Macs. Why are you bothered so much?
  • Reply 175 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jk7117 View Post


    What is disappointing for me and I have been waiting to upgrade for almost 5 yrs from a Quad G5 is the lack of USB 3.0 or something comparable. And here is why: I do both video and sound editing and when it comes to editing video especially HD video and layering that video with multiple layers you simply need some type of fast raid array.



    Apple would say: Firewire 800 is right there, ready-to-go for you. (And it's pretty good). Firewire 800 drives are less diverse and more pricey, but they are made by reliable vendors and should be quality products.
  • Reply 176 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ...various...


    And, as others have pointed out, it's a summer update



    What the heck does that mean?



    There is no official primary update schedule and a lower-spec secondary update schedule.

    Well, other than we can usually expect new iPods at the September point, just at the end of the usual Back-to-school deal that Apple offers on Macs with iPods.



    The Mac models are released whenever Apple's development team (and whatever other certain person input) determines.



    Looking back at iMac release history, I see that iMacs have been released in following months: January, February, March, April, May, July, August, September, October, November. (via the ever useful Everymac site)

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ndex-imac.html



    Remember that one of Steve J. responses to their putting less emphasis on the January MacWorld Expo was that they did not want to be forced into an annual January Mac hardware release cycle.
  • Reply 177 of 267
    Back to ATi Apple? Really? Lost me as a customer to the iMac. Definitely should have stayed with nVidia graphics.
  • Reply 178 of 267
    I've seen a lot of posts here complaining about the "small" or "%10" CPU upgrade. I would beg to differ. The change from Core 2 Duo to the Core iX chips is much more than clock frequency (Ghz) indicates (Familiar story, G3/G4/G5 fans?). Go find some benchmarks, and you'll find the change from Core 2 Duo to i5 or i7 most remarkable, beyond just the change from 2 to 4 processor cores. The i3 is only slightly faster, in some cases, than a C2D, but is an upgrade never-the-less and should also draw less power.



    These are very good chips.
  • Reply 179 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post


    No it's not, it's not even close. The 5770 is almost as fast as the 4890 in DX10/DX10.1 and DX9 games, if you keep the resolution down - but the 5670 is miles behind.



    5770/5750

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/5



    and there are hundreds more to back this up - in that graph a single 5770 or 5750 are way behind the 4890, and the 5670 has less than half the performance of a 4890



    5670

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2917/5



    I know this is rude, but you're so far out on this one, I wonder why you posted on the subject?



    9FPS. 7FPS. 5FPS. Most of those numbers were sub-30fps anyway, so neither card produces an awesome experience either way. (Yes I am aware that 21fps is 75% of 28fps, they're still in the same ballpark and many people wouldn't notice the difference most of the time) Those are the differences on that chart for Crysis, which of course you will only be playing on a Mac in Bootcamp mode as there isn't a Mac version.



    I don't expect the ability to play Crysis is exactly a huge deal to most Mac buyers. A game by Blizzard who always releases games for both Mac and PC, more likely. I do hope Steam keeps moving along on teh Mac side. Initial numbers had it functioning at much lower frame rates on the Mac side than when people were booted into WIndows on the same machine.



    My reference point of saying they were the same level was looking at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tx,2676-7.html I am posting from work and rather than taking the time to dig around looking for benchmarks, it is easier to just look at a basic chart, which I did. The performance of the graphics cards listed in that tier are all within a certain amount of each other and they're all beaten by stuff in the tier above. Simple.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedarddc View Post


    The 5750 is an MXM mobile part and is not comparable to the desktop part, sporting only 400 shaders:

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23245.0.html





    There is no mention in the tech specs on the Apple site of shader count. There is a 5750 desktop variant. How do we know it is a mobile graphics chip?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post


    I've seen a lot of posts here complaining about the "small" or "%10" CPU upgrade. I would beg to differ. The change from Core 2 Duo to the Core iX chips is much more than clock frequency (Ghz) indicates (Familiar story, G3/G4/G5 fans?). Go find some benchmarks, and you'll find the change from Core 2 Duo to i5 or i7 most remarkable, beyond just the change from 2 to 4 processor cores. The i3 is only slightly faster, in some cases, than a C2D, but is an upgrade never-the-less and should also draw less power.



    These are very good chips.



    Apple's site lists the improvements as being between 20 and 50% faster on the Mac Pro and that is just going from the 8core to 12core at the same clock rate. The i series is much more efficient than the c2d series.
  • Reply 180 of 267
    jk7117jk7117 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post


    Apple would say: Firewire 800 is right there, ready-to-go for you. (And it's pretty good). Firewire 800 drives are less diverse and more pricey, but they are made by reliable vendors and should be quality products.



    I did a project awhile back on my 2007 macbook pro using firewire 800 and after about 5 layers of video which is nothing, the firewire 800 choked. And the reason I did the project on my macbook pro instead of my G5 was I wanted to use the latest vers. of FCS.



    Apple needs something in the midrange w/fast a ext port or ports. If they think FW800 cuts it, then their out to lunch on this one. Maybe the option to put two separate SSD's in the iMac will be doable. I know you can order with a SATA drive and a SSD.
Sign In or Register to comment.