Apple's new Magic Trackpad clicks, has unique three-finger gesture

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I wish they had integrated it into the keyboard just like the laptops; I have mountains of crap on either side of my desk that fight for space. No worries, though. I can now buy a mini or iMac without cursing the stupidity of using a mouse.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Can't wait until mine arrives, I've been looking for something like this since I got my iMac. I have my keyboard and mouse in a pretty cramped space witch means I often have to use my magic mouse like a rake to get from one end of the screen to the other, and I often feel I'm missing the gestures of my mbp touchpad. Especially expose, zoom and tap to (right-) click. I really expect this will make working with on the iMac a whole lot more enjoyable (as if it weren't good enough in the first place)

Stuff like this proves again that apple is really trying to innovate by combining existing stuff to make it work better, even if it seems a stupid idea at first. I like it.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

Looks like a nice $30 accessory, at most. Not $70. I could buy three of these, or an entire netbook (tiny trackpad included). Or something else. But $70 seems incredibly steep. Probably costs $6.47 to make, max. \

Apple's battery charger is lame as well. Why isn't it USB-based? Or Firewire? They could have done so much more, something more "Apple". Jeers to them.

Cheers to not updating the Macbook Air, since I just bought one used on Ebay and might resell it...

A USB port doesn't have enough power to charge the batteries at the initial bulk-charge rate. Also, what do you do when your computer goes to sleep?

Compare the trackpad with a Bamboo. Competitive if not cheaper on price, and a hell of a lot better made, not to mention wireless.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Apple's battery charger is lame as well. Why isn't it USB-based? Or Firewire? They could have done so much more, something more "Apple". Jeers to them.

How is a battery charger that wastes a usb or fw port and requires your computer to be switched on all the time better then one that plugs into a wall outlet? I don't get it.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Looks like a nice $30 accessory, at most. Not $70. I could buy three of these, or an entire netbook (tiny trackpad included). Or something else. But $70 seems incredibly steep. Probably costs $6.47 to make, max. \

Cheers to not updating the Macbook Air, since I just bought one used on Ebay and might resell it...

it is so power efficient to keep your computer running just to charge 2 batteries.

again. You are not obligated to buy everything Apple makes.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    801801 Posts: 271member
  • Reply 47 of 60
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member
    What happened to the middle finger gesture that's used when dealing with ATT?

• Reply 48 of 60
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    This is something that I have wished they had for a long time. I guess I just found my birthday present!

Now, if they would just have a wireless keyboard that has the separate numeral pad, I would be completely happy!
  • Reply 49 of 60
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wyolinc View Post

Always read stuff here but this is my first post. Anyway, I dig this new mouse cuz I can use it right or left handed without changing the config on the desktop -- which I have to do with my trackball. I'm a righty but I used my desktop mouse lefty to reduce the pain in my back from repetitive mouse movements... that damn mouseback!

Welcome to AI, you'll find that we are a varied group.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

What happened to the middle finger gesture that's used when dealing with ATT?

Is this a legal gesture?????
  • Reply 51 of 60
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Might as well just let me touch the screen itself.

Outside of certain kiosk setups, a touch screen isn't ergonomic for a desktop. This kind of setup is as good as it is likely to go. Other than perhaps a keyboard that is a giant touch screen with under display (which could be useful for showing shortcuts, changing layouts etc)
  • Reply 52 of 60
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I would have liked to seen a gesture to adjust the size of the window without always having to go to bottom right corner. Perhaps a three finger pinch?
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

apple just killed the mouse.

w00t!

I wonder if it will end up working with an iPad.

I think this may be the ultimate appletv control: more affordable than a touch or iPad but you forego e visual feedback. The above devices would be even better but not affordable for all. Add some kind of click wheel simulator and you're done!
  • Reply 54 of 60
    sinceresincere Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post

This is the exact reason I want one. I've got an old Mighty Mouse but it doesn't work well on any surface in my living room so it's a total dud now. This trackpad coupled with Rowmote Pro on my iPhone is the perfect combo to better manage my Mini HTPC. Just gotta find someone to buy my old Magic Mouse now.

hey me too as I just got a new mac mini server and the magic mouse wont work on glass but this will solve that problem plus it can also be used right along with the wireless keyboard on the couch .....just perfect...now have to find someone to buy my month old magic mouse
  • Reply 55 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

What about a stylus to use it like a Wacom digitizing tablet?

Use POGO plus INKLET. FUN

http://tenonedesign.com/inklet.php
  • Reply 56 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Ships in 24 hours with delivery in two to three days, if you order it online.

Which? The magic trackpad or the "shocker" t-shirt?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    joe1511joe1511 Posts: 3member
    Anyone in UK know if Regent Street Apple Store have the Trackpad in stock yet. No one seems to want to answer the phone at the store!

Thanks
  • Reply 58 of 60
    triontrion Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe1511 View Post

Anyone in UK know if Regent Street Apple Store have the Trackpad in stock yet. No one seems to want to answer the phone at the store!

Thanks

Any news on this, do the UK retail stores have the Magic Trackpad in stock?
  • Reply 59 of 60
    joe1511joe1511 Posts: 3member
    Applestore Regent Street has lots of them now!
  • Reply 60 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Seems odd for the AI article to claim it works with "any" bluetooth enabled Mac. Oh, but said Mac must be running 10.6.4. Does this mean everyone has upgraded to SL now?

Maybe it's to pull the stragglers. I really haven't cared until now, and I might still not care, I don't know. An evening upgrading an operating system is time I'd rather spend doing something else.

I gather it behaves more like a plain trackpad, the fancy gestures might not work except on SL. I'll have to double check to be sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

apple just killed the mouse.

Yes and no. It's another cursor control device, something else that does the same or similar job in a different way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

What about a stylus to use it like a Wacom digitizing tablet?

I don't know if that is comparable. Wacoms aren't touch devices, you either use a pen or the special mouse they include.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

A USB port doesn't have enough power to charge the batteries at the initial bulk-charge rate. Also, what do you do when your computer goes to sleep?

Compare the trackpad with a Bamboo. Competitive if not cheaper on price, and a hell of a lot better made, not to mention wireless.

I think it would work, but it requires some power conversion. USB has a limit of 150mA. A 2000mAh battery supposedly has an optimal charging rate of 200ma per cell. If you can charge both cells in series, that would be 25% slower than on the wall if there is no power conversion. Optimal charging is charge each cell separately. That would be 400mA. But the batteries are 1.6V or thereabouts, USB can supposedly output 750mW, and two batteries would be maybe 400mW or so, depending on efficiency.

I've found that my iPhone charges when my computer sleeps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Gonna hit up the store on the way home. I prefer a mouse to a trackpad for desktop operation, so I doubt this will be very convenient for me, but those who grew up with laptops only might be a more familiar way to manipulate the computer.

Apple really is trying to push touch into the OSX world, which could be interesting, but I just can't see a situation where I would need an external touch surface to manipulate the screen. Might as well just let me touch the screen itself.

Unless the desktop paradigm is rethought into an easel or drafting board-like setup (which I would be interested in), I don't think touching the screen is a good ergonomic situation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I would have liked to seen a gesture to adjust the size of the window without always having to go to bottom right corner. Perhaps a three finger pinch?

That's why I really enjoyed Window Dragon, which was for OS X 10.4, it wasn't like that but it made changing window size a more efficient task. I put off upgrading for quite some time just because of that, because it didn't work on anything newer. I wish someone would make something like that again.

Incidentally, doesn't anyone have one of these touch pads yet?