Apple's new 27-inch LED Cinema Display to ship in September

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's a nice looking display but they should have pushed the price down on the 24 and kept it in the lineup too. Also in one of the product shots you see it next to an imac and the screens don't line up, why would they not have the new 27" led sit a bit higher so the screen edges line up? That just seems stupid to me.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    ok, so new cinema displays don't ship until september - and if you buy a new mac pro (shipping in august), then you'll either have to buy an old display, or effectively have a useless Mac Pro for another month???....

W...

T...

F...

???????
  • Reply 43 of 73
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

I disagree. The matte displays give you washed out colors and lowered contrast. For getting accurate colors and true blacks I love the glossy display. I know that some may prefer the matte display if their work environment isn't optimal. But I'll never buy another matte display.

David

That's great, but many of us simply want a choice. That choice, for me, means going out and buying another brand new 30 inch Cinema Display and putting it in my storage locker just to have one if, and when, either my home office or office office (love that phrase) 30 inchers goes down.

Plus, I do not want a 16:9 ratio. I want a 16:10 like I have now.

I'm not watching TV, or editing film. I am attempting to get some work done on a monitor that allows me to see a lot of info at once to complete an analysis, or write a program. The 30" does all that and more.

Realistically, I believe most people were not surprised by this announcement. After all, the 27" iMac set the new standard. Just give a choice of matte or no matte, just like my kids and grandkids do when we go camping.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

ok, so new cinema displays don't ship until september - and if you buy a new mac pro (shipping in august), then you'll either have to buy an old display, or effectively have a useless Mac Pro for another month???....

W...

T...

F...

???????

I'm alwas amazed at the crap people irrationally bitch about when it comes to Apple.

Let's analyze what you've implied in your statement:
    1. You can't use a Mac Pro unless you have the newest Apple display and only the newest Apple display.

2. Someone spending $2500 or more on a professional desktop wouldn't have a monitor to use for their new Mac Pro already, even if they wanted to get the latest display offering from Apple as if it's their first computer.

3. That hordes of people are foolishly buying Mac Pro immediatey with the intention of only using it with the new 27" Apple display but wouldn't realize this at the time of purhase or simply had to buy it immediately even though he didn't have a monitor for it, which makes it Apple's fault for screwing the customer yet again.

WTF, indeed!
  • Reply 45 of 73
    bluevoidbluevoid Posts: 72member
    The myth that a glass display is somehow less accurate or over-saturated continues, I see. Think about this:

1. Take an LCD panel and put a piece of pure glass over it

2. Take the same LCD panel and spray a matte coating on it

Which has more stuff between you and the actual panel?

Now, to clarify, sometimes when people refer to glossy displays they are referring to glossy coatings (HP's UltraBright screens come to mind). Those types of things did mess with the colors and perceived contrast. But that is not what Apple uses.

And, of course, if you are in an environment where you get significant reflections on your screen, that's a problem with a glass display. I still think a matte option would be nice. But go take a look at the matte 30" ACD while they're still around - the matte coating is quite heavy and sparkly, and I'd take glass over that any day.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    biggbigg Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

No matte - no buy!

Yup. I believe I speak for the majority or graphics/photo/video/visual arts professionals when I say they can take the glossy screens and shove 'em you know where.

I really can't wrap my head around their decision to go glossy only. Apple Cinema Displays have always been drooled over by Mac using graphics people as the top of the line. Now that I'm close to actually being able to afford one, I get the shaft with this glossy screen only garbage.

Weak sauce, Apple, weak sauce..
  • Reply 47 of 73
    bluevoidbluevoid Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigG View Post

Yup. I believe I speak for the majority or graphics/photo/video/visual arts professionals when I say they can take the glossy screens and shove 'em you know where.

You don't. Try actually using one for any length of time first.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm alwas amazed at the crap people irrationally bitch about when it comes to Apple.

Let's analyze what you've implied in your statement:
    1. You can't use a Mac Pro unless you have the newest Apple display and only the newest Apple display.

2. Someone spending $2500 or more on a professional desktop wouldn't have a monitor to use for their new Mac Pro already, even if they wanted to get the latest display offering from Apple as if it's their first computer.

3. That hordes of people are foolishly buying Mac Pro immediatey with the intention of only using it with the new 27" Apple display but wouldn't realize this at the time of purhase or simply had to buy it immediately even though he didn't have a monitor for it, which makes it Apple's fault for screwing the customer yet again.

WTF, indeed!

well, I'm speaking from my personal viewpoint, of course.

I've been waiting for this upgrade for well over a year, and I'm ready to pass my workstation (including monitors) down to the new guy in the office. I plan on going all-out for a complete setup, and getting the top-end 12-core, and probably two monitors (that's what I have now).

are you telling me that I'll be spending probably well over $6000 for the mac pro, and that I should be happy buying an "old style" 24" monitor, only to have a new model be available a month later?

I don't think that's irrational.

I think it's irrational from Apple's side, perhaps.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Sorry, but the glassy displays AREN'T suitable for professional graphic design work.

Really? Wow! Thank you for letting me know. I guess my clients have been paying me for non-professional work for the last 21 years. Imagine their chagrin!

A matte screen may help reduce reflective glare. But I can adjust my work environment to eliminate that. I can't do anything about a matte screen's washed out colors and low contrast. Anyone who has done a side by side comparison in a properly lit environment and still prefers a matte screen needs to get their eyes checked.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:

I disagree. The matte displays give you washed out colors and lowered contrast. For getting accurate colors and true blacks I love the glossy display. I know that some may prefer the matte display if their work environment isn't optimal. But I'll never buy another matte display.

David

Yep I totally agree, glossy offers far superior colour, and is great for design. I've got an iMac G5 and a glossy Intel iMac, the contrast on the new iMac is far better, the colours look more realistic and the blacks are far deeper. Yeah you get a bit of reflection, but I don't really notice it. When the sun is directly on it then yeah, it's hard to see, but on my old iMac G5 everything goes grey in direct sunlight, so that's no better really is it!
  • Reply 51 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

well, I'm speaking from my personal viewpoint, of course.

I've been waiting for this upgrade for well over a year, and I'm ready to pass my workstation (including monitors) down to the new guy in the office. I plan on going all-out for a complete setup, and getting the top-end 12-core, and probably two monitors (that's what I have now).

are you telling me that I'll be spending probably well over $6000 for the mac pro, and that I should be happy buying an "old style" 24" monitor, only to have a new model be available a month later?

I don't think that's irrational.

I think it's irrational from Apple's side, perhaps.

Absolutely. You're being irrational and silly.

Rational options:
    1. Wait until both are available before buying. This is what people usually do if one item of a set* they simply have to have isn't available else.

2. The 24" LED ACD is so out of date you can stand to use it for an extra month? Seriously?!

3. Again, be sane and just wait. It sounds like you are saying Apple shouldn't have offered the Mac Pro when it ready (push that 500 day between updates even fitter back) so they could time it when the 27" ACD is ready. Awesome idea¡ to lose sales and upset customers even more with an unnecessary delay.

I wonder if Dell and HP get these types of complaints when they update a computer without having a new display to "go with it"? What about those PC OEMs that don't offer displays, I guess those buyers are still waiting for them to offer a display before they can use it.

* Note, the Mac Pro and 27" ACD are not a "set", I use that term because you seem to think they are corequisites to each other. You can use pretty much any monitor you want from any vendor, even HDTVs.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Okay, so I'm hoping for suggestions re: getting a new Cinema Display for my 2008 Mac Pro with an NVidia GeForce 8800 GT.

I see there are now DVI to mini DisplayPort adapters available from Atlona and Gefen and that Apple also has an "upgrade" video card (ATI Radeon HD 4870). I understand the Atlona adapters offer more functionality but would there be an advantage to upgrading the video card itself?
  • Reply 53 of 73
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Really? Wow! Thank you for letting me know. I guess my clients have been paying me for non-professional work for the last 21 years. Imagine their chagrin!

A matte screen may help reduce reflective glare. But I can adjust my work environment to eliminate that. I can't do anything about a matte screen's washed out colors and low contrast. Anyone who has done a side by side comparison in a properly lit environment and still prefers a matte screen needs to get their eyes checked.

I have vision problems at times, but I'll let that last comment go.

Part of the reason that I chose the 30" Cinema Display in the first place was it was easier on my eyes than the newer, glossy 24" that came out during a previous refresh of the line. It wasn't something that I took lightly. I did my research for my situation and I am completely happy with the results.

The problem I have with all of this news today is that I do not wish or want the matte option to go away. Unless someone can point me to a link, it would appear that Apple is being mute on the subject, which is usually not a good sign. Call me crazy, I have spent enough time on this planet taking care of other's needs, to now feel it is OK to take care of mine.

I choose matte. You can choose whatever floats your boat. But please don't come in here and say that you are more professional than someone else is because you prefer glossy, anymore that another poster said they prefer to do professional work only on matte.

What is so damn hard for both of you to say "To each their own?" If I want someone to tell me precisely what I can and cannot do, then all I need do is call my IT department back east. They live for telling somewhat knowledgable users like myself what to do.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    macsolumacsolu Posts: 7member
    Just wait a month!
  • Reply 55 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

A matte screen may help reduce reflective glare. But I can adjust my work environment to eliminate that. I can't do anything about a matte screen's washed out colors and low contrast.

Controlling the light environment helps both, the less light, the better. There is some reduction in contrast because of incident light, but if you're not using hyperbole, I can't help but think maybe you're not controlling other variables when making a comparison, such as comparing an old matte panel with a new shiny panel. To be a valid comparison, the only difference between displays should be the surface, the panels behind them must be the same and set the same.

Quote:

Anyone who has done a side by side comparison in a properly lit environment and still prefers a matte screen needs to get their eyes checked.

Pot calling the kettle black, I guess.

I just had a checkup a few months ago, I'm doing just fine.

Lost in all this is the possibility of a better, smooth optically cancelling surface, better than matte and better than the current gloss screens. Apple does use *some* form of Rayleigh or diffractive anti glare on their glass, but I wish they would use something a lot stronger, like what is found on some camcorder screens. The better of the CRTs just before they went out of style had this and those were very easy to look at, too bad they were too bulky to keep using.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    What is so ridiculous about the issue of glossy v. non-glossy, is the fact that I, and countless others would be VERY willing to pay extra for a non-glossy version. Apple finally relented when it came to macbook pros, as non-glossy is an option once again. So why not make it an option for the new cinema display. I would note that the new display is not designed to replace the 30" cinema display that is most commonly associated with the mac pro. The fine print specifically mentioned the macbook and macbook pro (as I recall), and not the mac pro. Based upon the fact that most mac pros are probably bought by pros (video, photo, graphics). and because the group has in the past made it clear that non-glossy was the standard, it seems extremely likely to me that the 30" cinema display replacement will almost certainly have a non-glossy option. At least lets hope so. In this matter, Apple is laughably dense.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

I'd much prefer a matte screens. Working in a bright place or just watching a movie is pretty bad with glossies.. But hey, it's a little bit more environmental friendly with glass, so.. I can live with it... mostly.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    This is terrible news for the professional market.

With this screen Apple is essentially saying they are abandoning the market in favor of the consumer market.

I guess I could see it if the Mac Mini also used Megasafe but it doesn't.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    A very expensive consumer display.

I wish Apple would put out "pro" displays for the "pro" market.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

The reflection, particularly if there is light being reflected on glossy screen - that is annoying! Constantly have to adjust angles!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Pretty much the same monitor as the 24", only 3 inches bigger and more resolution. One has to wonder why Apple limits their cinema displays to the Mac ecosystem. You would think that with its external displays, they would attempt to include the masses who don't own Macs but want a premium monitor. Having to connect with a Mini DP/USB/MagSafe tricord requires you to buy a Mac first. If you're looking for a premium picture, for $999 you might as well buy the Dell U2711, which is widely considered the king of monitors right now (and is in fact a close cousin of the Apple 24" and 27" cinema displays). Except with the U2711 you get every connection option known to man, a matte screen, better ms response, 100% color accuracy, the ability to swivel, and is virtually the same price. Unless if you're going for "the Mac look."

How much is that Dell, of whatever is considered to be the best Matte 24-30' Monitor out there? Where is the best to buy it, and see it before buying it? Any stores in NYC for that?

Any compatibility problems with Macs? Is there an article that compares it to Apple? How good would the Warranty be?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

No matte - no buy!

Yep, I'd much rather give my $$ to Apple, but somehow they don't seem to be interested? I wonder if they read this site or other site where some people clearly express their preference for anti-glare displays! I would have loved to see a choice, like with laptops!

Can anyone recommend another 27' display. I'd like to use that Display with Mac Book Pro (getting it soon), and Powerbook G4, 1.67. I'll probably need a KVM Switch in between. Also same keyboard and Kensington Track Ball for both those laptops!

Is it possible to use all that and keep both laptops screens open?

What happens when I take my MBP on the road - will it readjust window positioning and sizes to a single, it's own screen? I wonder if the OS is Smart to Remember those Presets for

Single or Multiple Screens!

I'll likely leave my PB G4 @ 10.4.11, thus I wonder if that above mentioned set up is possible, since MBP will be 10.6.4 or 10.6.5

TIA for your help!!!