Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Here is the poop:

http://www.ipadoverheating.com/

Join in everybody!

Plus Video to show how it fails. It shuts down at 95 degrees!

Just like spec says it will.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Oh man - the environmentalists are not going to be happy about this one - the A4 in the processor name is actually for Atomic Mass of 4 - in other words Helium - that undergoes nuclear fusion to power the device - and if it gets too hot - it would have a core melt-down and no body wants that.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    forget global warming, peak oil, nuclear holocaust, or asteroids from space. what's going to kill us as a civilization is all the gawds damned lawyers.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    Lawsuits should require the first page to have a photo of the dufus lawyer with Bio and contact info...and the same of the dufus complainant.

Best
  • Reply 45 of 118
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    My iPad overheats when I leave it the oven.
  • Reply 46 of 118
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Not only can the iPad not be treated "just like a book" in regards to reading outdoors in direct sunlight - but it fails to operate after being used to balance the short leg on a coffee table, a problem not suffered by a book. In further testing I have determined that while a book can be dropped form a 10 story building with little or no effect, the same is not true of the iPad - clearly Apple is perpetrating the single most blatant of all marketing inaccuracies ever in the history of advertising and should be made to pay accordingly.

Other problems - pages cannot be torn out and used to start a fire - drawing on it with pen, pencil, marker, etc is nothing whatsoever like writing on a book.

Obviously - the marketing "treat it like a book" has to do with the logical interface and or content of a book - not the physical manifestation of the material from which a book it made. Well, okay it must not be obvious.

Maybe I should sue God - I have problems operating correctly and a shortened lifespan when I am left out in the sun for too long - sounds like a serious design flaw to me.

Now I am thinking there is a good reason why Apple's (and in fact a lot of commercial advertising) has little or nothing whatsoever to do with the product - because anytime you say anything that is not designed to be utterly meaningless some moron is going to sue you because the G4 is not really a SuperComputer.

Thanks for the good laugh. I enjoyed your post.
  • Reply 47 of 118
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If you leave a device in direct sunlight for a few hours (especially with the heat wave here in Chicago and East Coast) it is more of a safety feature then a defect having a $500 device shut off rather then damage internal components. Have never heard anyone experience these problems.
  • Reply 48 of 118
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

The spec does not say it will shut down at 95 degrees.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If, as you say, the iPad overheats when the ambient temperature is 95 degrees fahrenheit

Reread what he wrote.

"The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F"
  • Reply 50 of 118
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

All he was saying is that there can be a significant difference between ambient temperature and the temperature of an object placed in direct sunlight.

It seemed like he was saying that the iPad could overheat and show the warning or shut down even when the ambient temperature of the environment was within the specified operating range (which would of course be grounds for a lawsuit). Apologies if that's not what was meant.
  • Reply 51 of 118
    Scott Cole & Associates, APC should sue the manufacturer of the thermographic camera they are using.

It is designed to be used outdoors and they have to hold their hand over the top of the display to block the sunlight so they can see the image.

Extermly obvious that the camera manufacturer failed to use due diligence in research and testing prior to marketing a device to unwary consumers.

Also, the towel on the ground probably got a little grass stain, so sue them.

Also, sue the washing machine manufacturer and detergent company when those stains do not get completely removed.

Or if it does get removed, sue them for shortening the life of the towel.

and on and on...

Something is wrong here.

The lawsuit was filed in California, not Texas? Is Texas only for copyright cases and California is more for the consumer?
  • Reply 52 of 118
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Is this a lawsuit against things that get hot in the sun? LOL who is the lawyer involved in this?
  • Reply 53 of 118
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Me thinks these folks have been sitting out in the sun too long.

Thanks for that!

• Reply 54 of 118
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

All he was saying is that there can be a significant difference between ambient temperature and the temperature of an object placed in direct sunlight.

Well maybe they have a case then.

The spec says the operating temperature is up to 95 degrees. The only rational way to read that for the average consumer is that the device will still operate if the device is in a 95 degree environment. The spec makes no mention of direct or indirect sunlight.

I thought the person was saying that the ambient temperature can be less than 95 degrees and the device may still overheat in some conditions (i.e. direct sunlight). If that is true, then I read that as not being within the spec and the silly class action people might have a point (and a reasonably good case). If it says on the box that the operating temperature is up to 95 degrees, I don't see how Apple can get away with a product that shuts down in a 95 degree environment.

I'm assuming that this is wrong (because the lawsuit doesn't talk about actual temperatures but merely "normal" weather conditions). I'm assuming that as long as the ambient temperature doesn't hit 96 degrees that the iPad will still work without the warning or the shutdown because that seems reasonable and to fit within the spec.

The lawsuit seems like frivolous nonsense to me, but if in fact they mean the iPad is shutting down in direct sunlight when the ambient temperature is still 95 degrees fahrenheit, then I think they might have a case.
  • Reply 55 of 118
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

Well, as much as I think this suit is ridiculous, I do have to be fair to them here:

The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F and it be too hot for the iPad (or in my case, iPhone) to operate, because if it's in direct sunlight it's usually heating up far beyond the ambient. This is NOT covered by the Apple statement.

But I mean, c'mon. This is common sense.

See post #9. The rise in device temperature could result from exposure to heat, direct sunlight, and/or heavy usage. If the ambient temperature gets closer to that limit then other elements (sunlight and usage) can be more effective in rising the temperature of the device to the threshold.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    There is a simple solution here for Apple, in the spirit of the free bumper episode. All they have to do is give a free sombrero to all iPad buyers.
  • Reply 57 of 118
    I had same overheating problem when left in the oven
  • Reply 58 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Here is the poop:

http://www.ipadoverheating.com/

Join in everybody!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Lawsuits should require the first page to have a photo of the dufus lawyer with Bio and contact info...and the same of the dufus complainant.

Best

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Is this a lawsuit against things that get hot in the sun? LOL who is the lawyer involved in this?

The Lawyers details are in the link posted by 801 and their contact email address is [email protected]

I wonder if their reach extends to the UK if I send an email saying "Your iPad lawsuit is ridiculous and you and your clients in this pathetic attempt at extortion are a bunch of thieving parasites."
  • Reply 59 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well maybe they have a case then.

The spec says the operating temperature is up to 95 degrees. The only rational way to read that for the average consumer is that the device will still operate if the device is in a 95 degree environment. The spec makes no mention of direct or indirect sunlight.

When testing, they soak a device (not dunk it. They let it sit till the the temp is steady) to get to the higher/lower operating temps and make sure it operates as it should.

So it's the temperature of the device, not the ambient air.

Quote:

but if in fact they mean the iPad is shutting down in direct sunlight when the ambient temperature is still 95 degrees fahrenheit, then I think they might have a case.

If you watch the video of the test -> http://www.ipadoverheating.com/, the ambient air temp is only 63 degrees and ithe iPad shuts down after 12 minutes when the iPad temp gets to 95 degrees.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    And BTW we should also have a lawsuit for all those people who left their iPad by mistake in the microwave. Nowhere in the usermanual is anything mentioned to not microwave the iPad!!!