Apple's unveils new Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores

Comments

• Reply 81 of 210
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    i guess this update could be subtitled 'how to confuse a consumer'

Good to see the wide variety of build to order options regarding the processor- would still be nice to have a 4th pci slot (even as an option)- 3 is never enough without built in esata.

not sure why people moan about no bluray option- just put one or two in yourself, my machine has 2 LG BD's internally- they are simpler to instal than ram.

as for price-mactowers have always been cost effective as long as they are the right tool for the right job.

great update
  • Reply 82 of 210
    Hmm slightly disappointing, especially after all this time.

6 core @ 3.33ghz seems like the sweet spot, though the lack of nVidia GPUs sucks.
  • Reply 83 of 210
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

They are coming out in August.

BS on the price points and BS on the fact that it is still the same case as 6 years ago!

You know, I bet most of the people complaining about the look aren't the market for a mac pro.

A)Its internals have been re-designed plenty, the outside is excellent still: durable, elegant, and functional

B)I don't know about everyone using them, but mine sits under my desk - I prop my feet up on it! I don't *want* glass anywhere on the machine!
  • Reply 84 of 210
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Might I suggest: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Apple...=p3286.c0.m282

Thanks for the link. I came close to buying a used one in March when I thought my PC died. Back then about 1400-1500 was the best I saw, and that was for the original MP. I'll keep waiting til the more recent generation MPs come down in price. My PC is close to four years old and will be due for an upgrade in a year or two.
  • Reply 85 of 210
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Thanks for the link. I came close to buying a used one in March when I thought my PC died. Back then about 1400-1500 was the best I saw, and that was for the original MP. I'll keep waiting til the more recent generation MPs come down in price. My PC is close to four years old and will be due for an upgrade in a year or two.

Yeah I built my PC 2 1/2 years ago and is coming on the tail of using the same system for 5 years prior w/only minor upgrades. 512Mb up to 1.5Gb RAM, 2nd hard drive for storage and upgraded TI4200 to 6800, I think. It was still an AGP based mobo. I'm expecting to get a similar lifespan out of my current system w/no upgrades, expect possibly a new videocard as a E6850 c2d and 4GB of RAM is enough for browsing the web, listening to music and playing World of Warcraft when I'm not busy with work or my kids

I won't be surprised at all if my next system is actually a laptop. I like keeping up with all the changes tho b/c a)I'm a geek and b)it's good to lust after new tech
  • Reply 86 of 210
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    so you buy a new mac pro in august, but have to wait for the cinema display until september???
  • Reply 87 of 210
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

so you buy a new mac pro in august, but have to wait for the cinema display until september???

Leave the MP in the box til the display arrives. It ages it like wine or cheese or something
  • Reply 88 of 210
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    The single processor Mac Pro only has a single CPU socket, so you can't add a second processor without also changing the CPU+memory tray. So what is the advantage of using a Xeon instead of a Core i7 for a single processor system?
  • Reply 90 of 210
    dwalladwalla Posts: 15member
    OK... seriously... $5,000 for a screaming fast machine that is gimped by not having USB 3.0, SATA3 and Firewire 3200?

Whatever Steve Jobs is smoking, I want some.

I'm totally stunned they don't have USB 3.0
  • Reply 91 of 210
    dwalladwalla Posts: 15member
    No Blu-ray PLAYBACK on the Mac sucketh big time.
  • Reply 92 of 210
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Gee.

I waited a YEAR AND A HALF

and what did I get?

Barely a SPEED BUMP.

Meh
  • Reply 93 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's a great looking case that acts as a giant heat-sink. Changing it simply for the sake of changing it just means that you should consider having your kool-aid checked

I have no problem with the design, but I don't know about the heat sink part. The case isn't thermally connected to anything inside that gets hot. Between the CPUs and the case, the graphics card and the case, there's nothing but a cushion of flowing air.
  • Reply 94 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Is it necessary to get two 6-core processors initially or can I get one 6-core now and install a second if I need it?

I run a G5 PPC with a GeekBench of 1888 and looking for something at least 5 times more powerful. Would like to consider SSD in place of extra processors initially.

My G5 2.5 dual benched 2312.

Here's what my iMac Corei7 (not today's refresh but previous) benches:

High end Mac Pros (current refresh) average bench is 15,000.

The 12-core models? Expect a lot more than that.

The other thing that I wanted to talk about: all of the people kvetching for USB3 = what devices are available on USB3 that you can't live without? Seriously.
  • Reply 95 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They did quit offering upgrades for it pretty quickly. Fortunately, some of the newer cards are compatible. I bought Apple's ATI Radeon HD 4870 for my 2006 Mac Pro and it works fine, even though their page said it's not supported. The key thing is that it's compatible, but they might not be able to help you if something doesn't work.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 and I got a used ATI HD3870 off of eBay and it's working great in mine. It was noisy because I keep my Mac on its side, but I also got a passive cooler for it and it's quiet as can be.

I must say thought, that I bought this Mac Pro 1,1 used as a "stop gap" a while back, so that I could buy some time waiting for the new Mac Pros that were announced today. I use my Mac for audio recording and MIDI running Digital Performer. My G5 was really not keeping up any more so I got the used Mac.

Any way, I love Macs as much as the next guy, but I have to admit I'm a bit let down about the announcement. It really seems that aside from the graphics card upgrade, those of us who can only afford $2500 (I was going to sell my interim machine and scrape of the difference by selling some gear) are out of luck. I kind of see a rehash of the same Nehalem Quad that Apple's been selling for a year and a half now. It seems it was pointless now to hold off. It also seems that since there's no significant performance boost in the $2499 model, we won't see bargains in used Nehalem quads either since nothing more powerful is available at that price point.

I'm thinking since the Mac Pro 1,1 is actually working okay for me now... I may sit this round out. I did see that there's an option to upgrade the $2499 quad to the six-core Westmere processor but at what price???
  • Reply 96 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yes, such at the NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 Controller Card. Driverless, hot plug, etc. Anyone tried this nifty card?

I was going to buy that one, but I opted for the one up the line that does various Raids. It does require a driver, even if you're not using Raid.

Over at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ they've talked about the less expensive board, and like it.
  • Reply 97 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Their chart suggests the performance of competing drives go to almost zero over time. That seems very dishonest, the figures I recall were a 25% drop without TRIM, certainly nothing like a 90% drop.

More like a 75% drop in write speed.
  • Reply 98 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I still think AMD would have been better in the low end. The W3530 2.8GHz CPU costs $323 and scores 4,964 here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The 3.2GHz AMD X6 1090T scores 6,080 (22% faster) and costs $295.

Maybe the Intel one is more efficient though. Performance per watt is more important to Apple than raw performance and I wouldn't criticize that.

It's good to see a bump in the entry GPU for the same price, 3DMark scores are:

GT120 = 5431

R5770 = 7604

No double floating point precision support in the 5770 though.

Totally expected update, no innovation, no redesign, no real thought put into it whatsoever and still high pricing.

No AMD, please!
  • Reply 99 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

More like a 75% drop in write speed.

I've never heard of anything that severe in the articles discussing this. Source?

Edit: I found one, Intel X25 is in that ballpark for write, that's pretty bad, worse than I thought it was. Still nowhere near the diagrams on OWC's site.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...ce-and-trim/13
  • Reply 100 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWalla View Post

OK... seriously... $5,000 for a screaming fast machine that is gimped by not having USB 3.0, SATA3 and Firewire 3200?

Whatever Steve Jobs is smoking, I want some.

I'm totally stunned they don't have USB 3.0

FW 3200 isn't yet available, and won't be until the end of the year, or thereabouts.

SATA 3 is nice, but Apple has four SATA busses inside, and that's more than enough. The only thing that SATA3 is good for now is RAID from one E-SATA 3 port, where you're using port multiplexing. Look it up.

While USB 3 is out, there isn't much of anything available for it now, and won't be for some time. You can always add a board for $30 or so if you really need it.