Inertial scrolling, three-finger drag comes to some MacBook trackpads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Does this do anything to the Boot Camp drivers for the built-in trackpad, or is it just for the Magic Trackpad? Because the driver for the built-in trackpad for Windows is crap.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Installed it. Works great on my mid 2009 17-inch MBP.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    The late 2008 15" MacBook Pro is not included in the list, but inertial scrolling + 3 finger drag work. I was initially annoyed because it seemed that every machine after it was on the list, along with a few released before hand! But I tried S/W update and it came through.

The late 2008 17" MacBook Pro is on the list, which is surprising to say the least because there wasn't one. This machine wasn't update until the Phil-note at MacWorld 2009 (Steve was sick).

Basically if you have a MacBook [Pro] then try S/W update.

Really enjoying this inertial stuff. I like the way you can flick to get the page scrolling and then tap to stop it.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    haapumhaapum Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Scrolling like on the iPhone, where you flick to scroll and it continues to scroll until you slow it down or stop it (or let it eventually slow down and stop on its own).

Maybe I'm missing something, but does anyone know how this would be different from the "scroll with momentum" feature, already supported by the current generation multi-touch trackpads as well as Magic Mouse?

(Please note that I'm not complaining or anything; I really really like "with momentum" scrolling and can't live without it, so if this update is just bringing the same (or similar) feature to older generation trackpads, then I'm all for it.)
  • Reply 25 of 45
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Also not on the list is the late 15in model. I like the inertia scrolling but I don't particullarly like the three finger dragging. To enable that it takes away the navigation using three fingers which is something i've become accustomed to when broswing the web

The late 15" is on the list (sixth one down).
  • Reply 26 of 45
    it's very strange, i have a

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008)

and have the three-finger drag available under system preferences...

i'm still not going to use it (prefer to go back / forward in safari)...but still...it seems strange...
  • Reply 27 of 45
    I am so happy to have inertial scrolling it's unbelievable
  • Reply 28 of 45
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    A great update! I am wondering whether its release now has anything to do with the mystery application in the new iLife suite. Any guesses?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I am confused

I have always had 3 finger swipe to change the internet page back or forward

I can 2 finger scroll up or down but i can't 2 finger mighty mouse style of scrolling where the page runs on and on like a wheel .

I can also expand a page with 2 finger and spread them apart and the page gets larger .

So i think i have always had this

or have i once gain missed the point

ps I did not notice the 2 finger expand move until 2 weeks ago

weird huh.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I am confused

I have always had 3 finger swipe to change the internet page back or forward

I can 2 finger scroll up or down but i can't 2 finger mighty mouse style of scrolling where the page runs on and on like a wheel .

I can also expand a page with 2 finger and spread them apart and the page gets larger .

So i think i have always had this

or have i once gain missed the point

ps I did not notice the 2 finger expand move until 2 weeks ago

weird huh.

Bruce --- if the update has installed you should be able to have the page scroll as though it is run on an inertial wheel. Have you waited for the page to load properly first? It doesn't work until the page is fully there.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    poonampoonam Posts: 1member
    What's up everyone? This is my first time to come here.. So first i would like to say hi to everyone.

Orlando retail space
  • Reply 32 of 45
    I registered just 'cause I was shocked that no one had mentioned this can't-live-without-it bit of shareware. Remap the gestures up the ying & yang, PLUS make them specific to certain apps per your needs.

I'm not associated with them, but for anyone interested, here's the site to get it: http://blog.boastr.net/

Anyway, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THIS VERSION of Apple's software without reading the developer's blog (above). This version breaks some of the gestures you may be using.

Thank God I checked first.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yeah MacBook Aluminium included yeaaaaaa
  • Reply 34 of 45
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Scroll without Inertia -> Me happy again.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

A great update! I am wondering whether its release now has anything to do with the mystery application in the new iLife suite. Any guesses?

In fact your question kinda surprised me. Just what do you think the mystery app might be to ask?

I do have my own question for the group though; does this update show up in software updates or does it have to be applied manually? On my early 2008 MBP it did not show up as a an update.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 45
    eryceryc Posts: 2member
    Thanks Apple for giving us inertia scrolling. But now can we tweak it to reverse the motion? For example swiping up will scroll down. This is the behavior of the iphone and after using it feels much more natural.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    eryceryc Posts: 2member
    after using this update I have noticed broken behavior with Aperture. The slider controls aren't working.

update--- i had dragging turned off. Once turned on it worked.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Also Tuesday, Apple released updates for Windows that add support for the Magic Trackpad hardware. A 6.62MB update is available for 32-bit flavors of Windows, while the 64-bit software is 3.98MB. It works with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines, as well as Macs running the operating system via Boot Camp.

Does anyone know for sure this will work on a PC? I'm on Windows 7 and have not seen any driver update. And Apple's Trackpad website still reads:

"Minimum Requirements:

A Mac computer with Bluetooth wireless technology

Mac OS X v10.6.4 or later

Latest Magic Trackpad software update"
  • Reply 39 of 45
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Apple should have done this YEARS ago, like 2007 with the iPhone release -- amazing how this little change makes the MacBook Pro so much more likable/fun even!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    anyaanya Posts: 14member
    I thought Apple said that the mid 2009 MacBook/Pros couldn't have inertial scrolling because of the hardware? Apparently not. I like Apple, but I knew they weren't telling the truth when it came to the inertial scrolling. Oh well.